Driver's Side Rear Seat Stuck Down (2004 XC70)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Side Rear Seat Stuck Down (2004 XC70)

Hey everyone!

I just purchased my first Volvo after lusting after one for years: a 2004 XC70. He's in remarkably good condition, and I'm loving it.

One problem, though. Last night, I was folding down the seats, which went fine. I then went to raise the seats, and the center and passenger's side worked just fine. The driver's side, though, is stuck folded.

I've done some research, and I came across the common problem with the seat belt getting retracted too far. However, I don't believe this to be my problem. There is a good amount of slack in the seat belt, I just can't pull anymore. Also, both of the... plastic tabs are out.

To me, the problem seems to be with the headrest. On the side that is functional, the headrest folds back down as I try to lift it, but on the problem side, the headrest stays upright and blocks the seat from being put back up. Also the string to lower the headrest can't be pulled.

I'm taking it to a mechanic on Monday, so I'm sure he'll have an answer, but anything you guys can help me with would be great.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try this

Originally Posted by jasonbjerk
Hey everyone!

I just purchased my first Volvo after lusting after one for years: a 2004 XC70. He's in remarkably good condition, and I'm loving it.

One problem, though. Last night, I was folding down the seats, which went fine. I then went to raise the seats, and the center and passenger's side worked just fine. The driver's side, though, is stuck folded.

I've done some research, and I came across the common problem with the seat belt getting retracted too far. However, I don't believe this to be my problem. There is a good amount of slack in the seat belt, I just can't pull anymore. Also, both of the... plastic tabs are out.

To me, the problem seems to be with the headrest. On the side that is functional, the headrest folds back down as I try to lift it, but on the problem side, the headrest stays upright and blocks the seat from being put back up. Also the string to lower the headrest can't be pulled.

I'm taking it to a mechanic on Monday, so I'm sure he'll have an answer, but anything you guys can help me with would be great.

Thanks!
This exact same thing happened to me too, all I had to do was firmly pull on the loop that comes from the headrest of the seat that is folded down. Once I'd done that the seat came up easily and without issue.

hooe this helps