General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Lock nuts seized

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock nuts seized

Hey all,

I need some important and time constricting advice. As many of us do in the different season's, changing our summer rims and winter rims is common practice. Unfortunately, the shop I took it to to perform this quick service wrenched my lock nuts on with an air ratchet. Now I have taken them to three diff. shops including a Volvo dealer and the original shop and nobody can get them off My key is now wearing thin an looks like it has been thrown to the wolves. I need these winter rims on ASAP as storms in this area are getting worse by the day. Does anyone have any expertise in this area or know of any tricks to get these off??

Thanks,
Kev75

Old 12-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lock nuts seized

What a predicament. I know they are round on the outer diameter and they should never be over torqued. That said, the shop you took it to,(in a perfect world)should admit fault. They should do what it takes to make things right.

Not being a perfect world and them telling you 'To much time has elapst' or some other BS. The only thing I could come up with is to spray a very thin penetrating spray on them a few times over a day, to tryto defeat the gauling and corrosion.

Then findthe socket that is the closest, that doesn't quite fit over it and pound it on. Hopefully making grooves on the outer diameter. Theoretically,This could work if the the lock lug isn't to hard and you use a good socket. Using an impact driver first with the socket, may help. Good Luck

Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Some options for you (until Tech kicks in):

- Craftsman Bolt-Out sockets (spiral-shaped sockets designed to remove rounded fasteners); http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies. Use with a long breaker bar.

- Large chisel & hammer; aim at the left side of the nut and hitit toward counter-clock wise. Or, you may be able to physically destroy the nut, taking care not to damage the stud bolt.

- Nut cracker.

- Propane torch & 10WR Vise Grip.

- Remove the hub & replace the hub assy at the cost of the shop that screwed up[8D].

- Land mine/Side Winder[8D].

I hope one of these works for you.

JPN

Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 AM
JPN

This guy seems to have been in a similar situation; taken from the review for the Bolt-Out sockets:

"I had some really cheap lug nuts that came with my new wheels, and when I was trying to rotate them, of course the last wheel and the last lug nut got rounded and stuck. I had purchased the 5 piece bolt out set for another job I had with the exhaust a while back but didn't have one that would fit over this size (19mm, the 5 piece set only goes up to 12mm i think), so I picked up this set since I had good luck last time. Again, worked like a charm. This set is a bit more pricey though so if you can pick this up on sale it is well worth it."

I have some of them and I tried one on a Ford truck, and sadly, even with this breakthrough technology, the tool slipped, disappeared into somewhere in the engine compartment and was gone for good. In the end, I ended up cutting the male thread with a hacksaw[8D]. This was on the water pump on '93 F-350. If you've ever worked on one of them, you know what I mean about PITA[8D].

JPN

Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Either the spiral socket or a hammer and chisel.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM

All Fixed! Rammed a 20mm(I believe) socket over top of eachlock nut...got a six ft. iron pipe for leverage and reemed on it...with a little heat I managed to remove all four...melted two center caps though

Now I can put my snows on!!!

Thanks to all who posted advice!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 AM
JPN

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

JPN

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 AM

I bought a cheap 12V impact wrench for just this situation. It was around $38 shipped.

I bought it because I was unable to remove the lug nuts on my VW, they were practically welded on, and just like in your case starting to get rounded by the constant prying from a tire iron. I sprayed PB Plaster on the nuts and then went to town with the impact wrench after letting it sit a day, 15 seconds later they were loose. Amazing. I can't believe I've gone this long without this thing!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to get one of those real big X type tire irons to get mine off one time. You know the kind that has four different sizes on it. Even with that I had trouble breaking lose a couple of them.