General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Lost in Cyberspace

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost in Cyberspace

hey, looking hard at buying a 96 850 GLT Wagon. im getting a great deal on it, and was curious as to what body/performance upgrades or enhancements i could put on this vehicle. the engine is a 2.4L L5 PFI DOHC 20v (i dont think its turbo). i cannot for the life of me find a website or web address to a company that will make performance or apperance parts for this vehicle. i have looked for hours, just get lead in circles to the same sites that cannot really help me. i have, however, found a site that has a bunch of tuning tips, but nothing to a manufacturing site that i could purchase or order these parts. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Default RE: Lost in Cyberspace

btw, in interested mostly in a body kit (if it exists, or something i could make fit), performance upgrades, auto trim, like clear-lense kits, etc

Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you check out the post I made in the general section with the links to sites yet?

Old 10-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is me Volvomaster_240. I think i can solvo ur poblem.
I gotta frend who is currently using a 98 volvo 850. His car is very nice.Interior also very clean.The best part is his car's mileage only 65000KM.He wants to sell his car but still looking for owner who wants to buy his car...

Old 10-05-2005, 10:44 PM

well, i went ahead and bought this one i was looking at.

its a 96 850 wagon, 2.4L 5cyl. good body (nice paint, few dings/scratches), no cancer, power everything, leather interior, sun/moon roof. the milage is at 118,200 miles. after looking up the Kelly Blue Book value, i got a great deal at 4,600. the value is actually at over 8,000. they guy that was selling it to me kind of chuckled when he seen how much it was worth, so im guessing he's kicking himself right about now.

i did look at the links you had, but didnt find what i was looking for (or i looked in the wrong spots). the only body mod i found was at

http://www.groundeffects.com/CLEARANCE/vo850.htm

sounds kind of high for just a small under-bumper add on, that looks a lot like the factory piece. is that about right price?

sorry volvomaster, not in the market anymore >.<

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Administrator

If that is for the entire kit all 4 peices that really isn't all that bad.

It looks like a fancy 850R setup.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:25 PM

ok, well, i think im going to hold off on the body kit - stuff is starting to get expensive >.<

yesterday, i took it in to have the brakes looked at / fixed. at first, they felt really bad. i could stop okay, but it was really stiff. i took it in, and the guy said the rotors are beyond safe spec. he also said that its partially the type of car it is, the brakes are going to be a little different than what i may be used to. i looked at em myself to make sure he wasnt tryin to snake me into something, and there was a problem with all 4 rotors (they were worn down do far, there was about a 1/4 inch lip around the outside edge, from wear). so, $500 later, i have new pads and rotors on all 4 corners. now it feels the complete opposite. istead of being stiff, they really ... squishy.... almost like there is not enough brake fluid, or they didnt 'bleed' the air out of the brake lines when they were dont changing everything... again, this is my first volvo, so im clueless as what to expect with this. could it be just the all new pads/rotors breaking in, or could there be something up with the install?

(i apologize for the all the questions, i probly sound like a 16 yr old with the first car)

Old 10-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator

First thing to try is pump the pedal about 5 to 6 times feel how it feels.Then let off and wait a minute or two.Then push it again and see if it stop at the same place or if it goes down further. If it goes further then most likely there is air in the lines.

If not then it might just be the rest of it seating.It might also be softer pads then was on there before.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:45 PM

hey, quick update

i talked to the brake pad guys, and they said besides the seating period (varialbe depending on driving habits), i have Wagner Brand pads. i heard him say that when he was installing them, but didnt pay much attention

apparently, they have ceramic in the pad, to reduce heat on the rotor itself, but its vented and cooled a lot faster. ive never had ceramic pads, or a volvo before this one, so i guess its right where its supposed to be.

also, i dropped $1600 for 18x7.5 Panther 410 Scizzr wheels, wrapped in 215/40/18ZR Falken rubber

the wheel
http://www.wheelguyz.com/shop/detail...r&cat=71&path=
(nevermind the tire/wheel pricing, i bought at local tire specialty store)

the tire
http://www.falkentire.com/tires_451.htm
(click the picture, nevermind the wheel its attached to)

as soon as i figure out why my camera stopped talking to my computer, i'll post up some pictures of before and after