General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Strange new noise.. just had the brakes off

Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange new noise.. just had the brakes off

I'm trying to get information on a brake clicking sound that just started. I haven't found anything that matches the description of my situation.

My brakes had been squeaking a bit so I purchased new pads thinking they needed to be replaced. When I pulled the tires off I found the pads still have a lot of life left on them. I pulled the calipers and removed the pads to look for something that could be causing the noise. I didn't find anything obvious so figured it was probably just dust so I wire brushed everything up and put it all back together.. I had the whole front end off the ground when I did the right side and the rotor turned freely with some clicking in something... universal or CV joints maybe? I don't know. I am guessing its probably the same thing that clicks a few times when I'm taking off sometimes. I wasn't concerned at the time, but now that I think back it seams strange because the transmission was in park the whole time I had it up. I put the wheel back on and lowered that side. I then cleaned up the drivers side and put it back together... that wheel didn't turn .. I assumed because the other side was planted on the ground and would have kept it. I put the car down and tightened all the lug nuts.

Now... I got in the car and applied the brake to re-set the pads. The brake pedal moves a lot farther than it did before. Then turned the car on to pump up the brakes and now there is a clicking noise when I apply the pedal that was never there before... No air should have gotten into the lines. WHAT is that NOISE? What did I do?

Please help

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update..

I think everything is ok now.. I was afraid to put it in gear cuz I was feeling the click resonate up through the shifter as well.. But then I figured.. ef it.. put it in gear and easy does it off the break... by the time I rolled down the driveway it had all tightened back up to normal and the click went away. Ill let ya know if I toast it tomorrow but I doubt it...