General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Vibration/noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration/noise problem

I could probably post this question on any car/mechanic forum, but I'm starting here in these forums because like most of you I love my Volvo

It's a 2006 S40, 2.4i, manual transmission.

I noticed a couple weeks ago a vibration noise when moving at slow speeds in reverse. I was a little concerned, but didn't really think too much about it until two days ago I noticed that the sound was getting just a little louder, and it also began to make the noise at slow speeds going forward as well. It happens EVERY time I back up, but I only notice it some of the time when going forward, usually after I've been driving for a bit, long enough for everything to get warmed up. I'm pretty sure it's not brake-related because applying the brakes makes no difference at all; the noise only stops when the car is at a full stop. Nor do I think it's an engine problem because the noise is not there when sitting idle. My guess is that it might be wheel bearings, but I'm not quite car-savvy enough to know what other steering or drivetrain components could cause this.

Also... after the car sits idle for any length of time, when I start out there's a faint grinding sound at about 10 mph lasting less than a second, and I feel it as much as hear it. The feeling is about as strong as when the auto door locks kick in when the car starts moving (but no, that's not what I'm feeling/hearing, heh...). This doesn't happen when I go after being stopped at a red light; it only happens when I first get going, like leaving for work in the morning, or after the car has been sitting idle for more than just a minute or three. I'm not overly concerned about this sound, but I mention it in case it's related to the vibration/noise problem.

Could the two be related? Like via a clutch problem, maybe? Or are they more likely two separate problems? I know I'll need to take it to a mechanic to find out for sure, but I'm looking to get an idea what it could be so I can go to the mechanic armed with enough information to be difficult =P

Thanks folks...

~ K

Last edited by Strangebrewer; 12-14-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problems of vibration and noise, and noise and vibration characteristics of modified vehicles, particularly cars and trucks. Although the noise and vibration can be easily measured, comfort is a subjective quality, measurement, through a "jury" of the evaluation, or analysis tools, providing results, reflecting the subjective impression. These tools belong to the latter field is called "psychoacoustics. "

Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shaking my head...

Load speed? best I can find on that is tire speed ratings. I don't know what you're trying to say. And nautical terms? rudder post? transom?

And then modified cars and psychonautics...

I gotta say, my brain's kinda lit up at the moment from having to look up all this stuff...

So you're saying... moving parts rubbing together vibrate and make noise. Cars do this. Comfort is subjective. Move along, nothing to see here.

...?

I'm at a loss. I've owned several cars and never had a car do this. Have I just been lucky all this time? I can't tell if your responses are a snarky kind of "cars make noise, get over it" response, or if you're just dropping knowledge...? There must be more to it than that...

I don't know... I took a couple tylenol a couple hours ago, maybe I'm just trippin... but this is surreal to me.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration and noise,clunk

Hi there
Check your motor mounts and rack & pinion..had problems with these before..very hard to pin-point .After almost replacing all of the front end parts
the rack solved my problem..hope you have a friend or cheap local mechanic..very expansive and labor/time consuming.....gl