Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Vibration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Noise

As of late I noticed a strange vibrating/hissing/whistling (not really sure what to call it noise) coming out of the front passenger side under the hood. This strange noise would only occur when the car is first started in the morning and go way shortly after the RPMsare raised during normal driving. Also it sounds like its coming from somewhere around where the power steering fluid is. I have not noticed any changes in the way the car handles. Any help would be appreciated....

1995 VOLVO850
134000 miles

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Vibration Noise

Sounds like the timing belt or tensioner pulleys are going bad.

Have them inspected/replaced ASAP.

If they fail the belt will come off and then it will cost about $3000.00 to get it fixed.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take it to a Volvo technician who I bought the car from as soon as I can to get this problem sorted out.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure you get him to hear the noise to 100% verify the problem.

I am 99% sure that is the problem.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM

I took it to the Volvo mechanic and he said that it sounds like an idle pulley making all the noise. He really didn't explain much about it and ill leave the car there overnight early next week to get the problem sorted out.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main thing is to avoid driving the car until it's fixed.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM

I got everything fixed about 3 weeks ago, no more noises.

- Replaced 2 Idler Pulleys
- Replaced Drive Belt

The last couple of daysit started again. The noise is a bit different now, its a squeel. I am now wondering if the drive belt is loose and needs to beadjustedor the problem is something different.
The noise starts 30 seconds after cold engine start and goes on an off until the enginewarms up. It also happens when pulling out of the driveway when the engine is still cold.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds more like the serpentine belt, the one that goes around the power steering and A/C compressor. I would think he would have replaced that when he did the timing belt. That's a fairly cheap and easy fix. I would take it back to him and see what he says.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi SlavaD,

I used to have the same symptom, even after replacing everything on the timing belt component with OEM parts. I assumed it was from the serpentine drive belt. And the OEM serpentine belt did not improve, so I concluded it was either the idler pulley or the tensioner pulley.

Make sureall timing belt components are in good shape. And if the noise persists even with good timing belt components, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM

Sorry for the confusion, he did not replace the timing belt. He replaced the 2 pulleys and the serpentine belt (drive belt) that goes around the pulleys. I am planning on doing the timing belt soon.

I don't know much about cars, but one thing I dont understand is how can a timing belt make that noise. I thought the timing belt had teeth, therefore how can it squeel.

The noise comes from where the power steering fluid is.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 PM
JPN

Hi,

As to your question, it is not the timing belt itself that could slip or make noise. It is the worn-out idler pulley, tensioner pulley or defective water pump that could make noise due to bearing wear. A part of my factory manual indicates that those pulleys be lubricated periodically.

I assume the power steering pump & fluid reservoir may have some design characteristics that allow the pump to make noise only when the engine is cold, and as the power steering fluid warms up and the fluid expands (the fluid is the same Dexron-III/Mercon used for automatic transmission), it may change something and stops making noise.

BTW, non-OEM serpentine belts seem to slip and more likely to cause squeal. The OEM belt for 850 is Continental (mine was made in the U.K).

I hope this helps you understand the mechanism better.

JPN

Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the serpantine belt earlier today and its Volvo Genuine. I will probably take the car back to the same guy again and have him check it out.
I don't think its the power steering, because when i turn the steering wheel there is no squeels.
I guess that leaves me with the tensioner pulleys and the water pump, since the serpantine belt + idler pulleys are all brand new.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:43 PM
JPN

My pleasure, since I live in Japan at the moment, I can post reply when people in the States/Europe are asleep, zzz...

Just wanted to add to your understanding, that the timing belt also has idler pulley & tensioner pulley inside the black plastic cover. The tensioner pulley actually does not have "tensioning" mechanism on its own; it's done by a small hydraulic cylinder that is pressing against the tensioner pulley. Even though this cylinder is small, the amount of force exerted is enormous and it once bent one of my allen key wrenches when I was servicing it.

If you have more questions, I believe other members will be able to jump in when they wake up. It's about time for me to go to work. I'll be back in 9 hours or so.

Good night.

JPN

Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM

I have pretty much nailed it down to the power steering pump, I noticed that the noise goes away/faints when the wheel is turned. I also had my father listen to the noise and he said it sounds like the power steering pump is sucking air. There was little fluid left so I added some. The last time I checked the fluid was in late June, so maybe there is a leek?

The question now is how long can I drive like this. I am planning on getting it fixedas soon as I get a day off. How much labor will this require? Once again thanks for all the help I have received so far.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM

I would top off the fluid, buy 2 cans of GUNK Engine Cleaner and clean the entire engine compartment and steering rack & hoses. You should be able to find the leak this way. Most repairs can be done with basic tools. Here in CT labor at the Volvo dealer (used to be owned by the actor Paul Newman) is over $150 and hour. Trying to find and fix the leak yourself will save a lot of $$

Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM

I appear to be having the same problem. I was wonderingifyou wereable to fix it, and if so how did you do it?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:36 PM

This was a combination of both the badly worn serpentine belt and the idler pulley along with the timing belt. The noise was actually coming from a timing belt and the timing belt idlers which were "badly worn" (my mechanic said if I kept driving it for another 500 miles I would have blown the timing belt). I got a hole in my pocket following the repair, but there is no more noise again.

However, lately I seem to get a "chirp" from around the serpentine belt area in the morning. Not sure what this could be since pretty much everything is new.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM

some aftermarket belts can cause noise even when new. did he use oem replacement?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:22 PM

It was a VOLVO belt; anything I can do to get rid of the noise?