General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

What is Volvo's paint warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Volvo's paint warranty?

I have an 04 S80 that the front bumper is pealing like no tomorrow! It just started to peal over the last few months and is rapidly getting worse? The rest of the car is intact just fine just the front bumper.

I know some companies warranty their paint for years and was curious what Volvo does?

I had it to a body shop and they said the paint is flaking off and it shouldn't be for the age of the car and it's overall condition.

Any suggestions or links to info?

Thanks
Spankey!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the dealer where you bought it from and explain the situation.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Well I'm kinda screwed there! I bought it and I am the second owner. It was a company car and then I bought it from a car smart lot. Car fax was spotless and all recalls were done on the car.

I just can't figure out why the front bumper is pealing so badly.......

Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Call a local dealer and ask about it.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by spankey
Well I'm kinda screwed there! I bought it and I am the second owner.
Then Skip the dealer and go right to Volvo of America and deal with them! However, have a body shop put it up on a lift and have them look for over spray or signs of paintwork before dealing Volvo. A claim on CarFax just means the vehicle had a claim thru the insurance company. Someone could have had the paint sprayed and paid for out of pocket and never show up on a CarFax or CCC which is another site dealers use. Good luck dealing with Volvo. Let us what happens.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Then Skip the dealer and go right to Volvo of America and deal with them! However, have a body shop put it up on a lift and have them look for over spray or signs of paintwork before dealing Volvo. A claim on CarFax just means the vehicle had a claim thru the insurance company. Someone could have had the paint sprayed and paid for out of pocket and never show up on a CarFax or CCC which is another site dealers use. Good luck dealing with Volvo. Let us what happens.
Just saying, if it's a known issue the dealer might fix it straight away. Although I doubt it's very common or we would have seen it more in the boards. I would see what the dealer says and then if they won't do anything go to corporate and complain.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 AM

I would say the car has had a replacement bumper cover and paint at some stage. OEM paint flaking off plastic bar covers went out 20 years ago.
Personally, I'd suck it up and have the bar resprayed. If it's flaking badly, a high pressure water washer will remove the rest quite handily.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM

UPDATE:

I had the car to a body shop today and they claim the bumper is not aftermarket and looks clean and to be OEM Volvo! He said to contact volvo and see what they would do.

He didn't have time to quote me to repaint the front end as he was leaving for the day but he did say that the paint shouldn't be pealing as bad as it is. He could see if there were rock areas where it has gotten hit, but this is pealing even at the seams of the bumper area as well and in long peal lines. One peal line along the seam is almost 7 inches long and getting longer.

I sent Volvo America an email so I will post what they say back. Don't expect much as I can't prove anything as I am the second owner and the car fax won't stand up much.

What would a respray run average? The car is metalic silver....

Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Here are some photos of what is happening to the paint I took with my Iphone.

I am waiting to hear back from a dealer as Volvo America suggested I take it to a dealer. I emailed one to see what could be done along with the photos.

No one though will tell me the warranty period on the paint though?????

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  45.5 KB
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  105.8 KB

The body shop said it's weird that you can see clear to the plastic as there is no primer or base coat on the bumper itself. Weird or is this normal?

Spank.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM

I would think $400-$500 to do the bumper.... I would call Volvo instead of emailing them! You will get a faster response.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:08 PM

I don't know of any company making aftermarket, stock replacement bumpers, so if the bar cover has been replaced, it would have been with a Volvo part.
There is no way known that is a Volvo OEM paint doing that, it has the classic look of a poorly prepped paint job on a new bar cover (ie, do the job cheap for cash).
You can chase Volvo all you want, they'll likely say the exact same thing, especially as you have no proof to the contrary.

Regards, Andrew.