Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Extended Warranty - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - any advice?

My volvo V-70 won't start and the repair shop claims that it is the Electronic Control Module (ECM) and some wiring. I have an extended warranty with a company called DSI Heritage and they are refusing to pay for this even when there is nothing in their contract that says this is not covered. When I asked for the reason they pointed me to this line in the "What is not covered" section "Retrofits or replacements of any components caused by or due to compliance with law or legislation including the 1990 clean air act, including emission control equipment and sensors"

He told me that the word sensor covers everything electrical!! Wonder if someone has had a similar experience and has any suggestion on how to get around it. This seems like total fraud to me!

Thanks
Nick

Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty - any advice?

Hi Nick,

Sorry about the trouble that the company is giving you.

I myself have never had this type of problem, so I can only give you some general advice, until someone with similar experience can reply to you as to how he/she got around it.

>"Retrofits or replacements of any components caused by or due to compliance with law or legislation including the 1990 clean air act, including emission control equipment and sensors"

This statement is really confusing, and I am assuming that they're saying they don'tcover emissions control related systems? I wonder if you could provide us with the full detail of the extended warranty you bought; it would be the best if you can scan it and convert it to jpeg file and attach it to your post.

>He told me that the word sensor covers everything electrical!!
Negative. If he was correct, even headlight bulbs are considered sensors. But in your case, if the ECM is the problem, it is a part of the emissions control system.

I just Googled the company and it did not show up, so I assume it is a small local company, correct? If you could afford to, you may want to talk to a lawyer who is savvy in automotive warranty/repair frauds, or tell the company that you will report the issue to Better Business Bureau. I hate to say, however, that extended warranty is 80% of the time worthless; it is a way forcompanies, including the dealers, tomake money.

If you could not make the company pay for the repair, then you may want to fix the problem by yourself, if you can do so in a safe manner. Also, emissions-related systems, including the ECU, is generally covered by the vehicle warranty so please specify what year your V70 is, as it may still be under manufacturer's warranty.

>the repair shop claims that it is the Electronic Control Module (ECM) and some wiring.
"Some wiring" isn't very specific to determine the fault. And ECM does not usually fail, unless mishandledand I just researched for recalls against V70 and there was no recall for emission control system on V70. You want to make sure that the no-start condition IS caused by the faulty ECM. The only way to find out whether the ECM is at fault is to use an electronic diagnostic scanner/equipment (for cars made after 1996 with a few exceptions), so request the shop to show you the reading on their equipment/scanner. If they refuse, I would forget the shop. The problem could be as simple as a dead battery or faulty fuel pump/related components. If it turns out that the problem is not emissions system related,DSI Heritage should pay for the repair. So, I wouldfirst verifythe problem.

I hope this helps. Wait till other members reply to you.

JPN