1981 240 - intermittent power loss, high idling and a no-start

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 240 - intermittent power loss, high idling and a no-start

Hi, I'm writing this thread here now, where I won't be jacking anyone elses and to cronicle the events and updates of my new old Volvo.

So, i've had the intermittent power loss while driving several times in a couple days.

Seems to happen around 2nd gear while accelerating.

In the beginning it did dropout only for a few seconds and came back.

I was suggested to put two bottles of gas line antifreeze in the tank, so I did, not sure if it has helped anything.

The next day when it would lose power, it was taking more like 15-20 seconds to come back, and I was having to pull over when it did occur.

Currently I have no real update on this except.. I drove the car for about 5 minutes tonight and it did not occur.

But about the lean/high idle speed, which I know others are having the same problem. After starting it tonight and letting it warm up about 10 minutes idling, I did put the choke in bit by bit near the end of those 10 minutes to as low as I could get it while maintaining a steady idle.
Then I popped the hood and quickly noticed that the large tube going from the air filter to the carb was disconnected!
I fiddled around with it and stuffed the tube onto the connection as best I could, and soon I will put something on there to secure it firm and airtight.

Seeing this led me to think about the carb problem.. and that maybe it's really dirty and that makes sense because the connection to the air filter was not even complete! It was getting plenty of unfiltered air.
Btw, I checked the air filter and it is looking very clean. It has a ruber seal around the edge but it sits pretty loosely in it's place, which I don't like, so I think I'll glue it in or something when I also secure the hose to the carb.

So after that, I got a kind of small flathead screwdriver to attempt to adjust the idle screw on the carb.
Kept the car running and saw two readily visible screws and had no idea if either was the correct one, so the first one was tight, and wouldn't move with some medium pressure, the second one turned easily, and after turning it about a full revolution, the idle changed!
It went higher!, I I turned it the other way, and roughly each revolution showed noticeable changes. THe idle went down down, and I looked inside to check for RPMs... and realized, my car doesn't even show that!
So I continued with the screw and got to the point where it wouldn't go any further, and the idle had gotten to a pretty nice place, muuch lower and normal sounding than it was.

Well, I feel I made a pretty big success with this so far, and I'm very happy. I am now able to keep the car idling with the choke.. almost all the way in! haha. It is still sputtering quietly, which I'm feeling confident, is caused by the carburetor, which I'm guessing just needs to be cleaned.

I hope this isn't too large of a wall of text for y'all, but I kind of enjoy 'telling the story'.

Another thing I noticed.. there was some liquid dripped out of the tailpipe. Looked like water. I think this is an indicator of condensation somewhere in the system.

THank-you, to anyone who has read this far, and especially if you post any sort of reply.

Last edited by Frejborg; 02-06-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add a piece of info!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lastnight after driving and the motor was nice and warm, I was able to push my choke in all the way with no stall. Seems to be getting a little better on it's own. Cleaning this carb and it should be allll good.