1986 Volvo 245GL, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Volvo 245GL, questions.

Hello,

Sorry for what is more than likely repeat questions, but I wanted to not only get them out of the way, but introduce my wagon a little further.

Bought the wagon a few weeks ago for $1800. This is my first European car, and only the 2nd out of 14 cars that is foreign. So far, looks like mine is without major issue. I bought it from it's original owners, who bought it in Fort Worth in December of '85. Been in Texas all it's life. Came with all the original paperwork, maintenance records, etc. It's been taken to the same dealership approved mechanic all of it's life. They did ALL of the recommended maintenance on the car(do this at X mileage, that at X mileage, this yearly), and even had the undercoat annually inspected, up until the last few years. I found a few places that need touched up, but the car has NO rust, and I mean NO RUST. After the scheduled maint. was ran through, they continued having the car regurally gone over. Trans fluid, timing belt/tensioners/water pump, etc etc. They've had the exhuast replaced in the late 90's. Still looks good. The mechanic even did it all to the original set up, and kept the original tail pipe on the vehicle. NO FLUID LEAKS!

One crack on the dash, and the side pockets are fairly intact(patched). AC works(needs to be flushed, not nearly cold enough, but good pressure). Original AM/FM/Cassette and original speakers in exc. condition. For some reason, the radio needs remouned. Likes to slide back a few inches. Leather interior is in pretty good shape.

I noticed the diff fluid was never changed(NOT a maintenance item? WTF!), so I will be doing that this week. I had a tie rod boot tear last week, so will be fixing that this week. Can I use any "European" spec grease, such as one made by valvoline? Will also be having the front rotors machined(if vented) or I will replace them(if solid). I need to find ceramic or semi-metallic pads for the front by next week(they are pretty thin). All power options work except the rear left window. They said it suddenly quit working. All other windows go up and down quickly. Where would I find the relay for that particular window? Also, my seat heater lights work, but I'm not sure if the elements themselves do. Will I have to wait until winter to check?

Sorry for all the little questions, and the long post. I'm an excited Volvo owner, eager to get everything back up to spec. I haven't done much so far. Hasn't needed much. I compounded, polished, waxed the car. Was able to get the roof to look ALOT better. The rest of the car already looked good. I've changed a few bulbs(including headlights, with brighter Silverstar Ultra's(meh)). Need to replace the rear washer pump(and it's wiring), and clean the wiper nozzles. All are plugged. Already replaced the hoses. Lastly, cruise control. What do I do? Doesn't work at all. Not sure where to start.

Thanks!

--Jack

Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 AM

You can get the window motor relays from IPD.
Power Window Switches & Relay

I'll put money on your seat heater elements being toasted, it's a giant pain in the rear to replace them so just get used to having a cold rear.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

For fixing the seat heaters, I ran across this in Brickboard last year. I did it to my car. Works great. Took 1hr per seat.

http://cleanflametrap.com/seatHeater.htm

Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Today, I tried to get some life out of the rear left window. First, I swapped the back two window switches. Both work. Hm. I thought for sure it'd be the front switch, but sure enough, upon being tested(read: swapping wires), I found that the switch works. I'm not yet familiar with my Volvo's wiring. Is there a relay for each individual window? On all my other cars, the relay was for ALL the windows, but I can't seem to find a straight answer for this one. I understand that one(or all?) (the) window relay(s) is/are under the dash.

Also, discovered a new storage compartment. I noticed my manual referred to a storage compartment to the right of the locking one on the floor in the rear. I could not find any handles or anything, though. Well, I found out that either the clips were made REALLY well, or it had never been opened. Got it open with the strap on one end, and a prying hand on the other. Cool! Once I locate my spare blankets, I will be able to keep things there. Emergency supplies, etc. I figure the blankets will help reduce vibration amongst the metal things and the car body.

--Jack

Last edited by Yzzerdd; 04-29-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the power for the windows go through the switches so the contacts become corroded over time.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Volvo 245GL, questions.-p-win.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Bubba, I had swapped known good switches with the one that doesn't work(I did it on the driver's door, and on the rear driver's, the one that doesn't work) and was unable to get any function out of the window. I did however learn that ALL switches were operable. I don't imagine there is any amount of constant power to the window motor, but that is my next tackle. I will apply 12V of direct power and see if I can get it to move.

No one knows which relays are which in the dash?

--Jack