240 blown up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 240 blown up?

I have a 1990 240 wagon. A couple days ago i decided to spray some degreaser and clean up my intake manifold. I cleaned it off, and hosed it off trying to be as careful as i could be. Ive sprayed my bay previously, and nothing has happened. I drove it, drove normal, and parked it down the street. As i got back into it, it sounded lumpy at idle, almost cammed, like it was mis firing. Decided to drive it down the street, and it was completely normal at at higher RPMS. I got to a stoplight, and it died and would no turn back on. I had to push it back home.

Anyways, i decided to dry out the distributor and it did nothing. I needed new wires anyways, so i swapped them out and also put no plugs in. It starts, and will run if you rev it, but dies at idle. Trying to start it feels like its super rough on the engine, and it will shake. I then decided to clean the injectors, and swap my fuel filter out as it has 300k miles. Still nothing. And when i move the distributor it doesn't effect idle or anything. Fuel pump also makes a noise and comes on, so not that.

I am very puzzled, it still sounds like a a bad miss or timing problem. Im going to check the timing belt and go from there. But what else could it be? It has been my daily driver and has been perfect to me until now.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:05 PM

sounds like the water in the intake? Not a big deal and won’t hurt anything. I think 20 minutes of hwy speed will clear the water out. I am wondering if the breather box has water in it?

Originally Posted by boarwagon
I have a 1990 240 wagon.sorayed A couple days ago i decided to spray some degreaser and clean up my intake manifold. I cleaned it off, and hosed it off trying to be as careful as i could be. Ive sprayed my bay previously, and nothing has happened. I drove it, drove normal, and parked it down the street. As i got back into it, it sounded lumpy at idle, almost cammed, like it was mis firing. Decided to drive it down the street, and it was completely normal at at higher RPMS. I got to a stoplight, and it died and would no turn back on. I had to push it back home.

Anyways, i decided to dry out the distributor and it did nothing. I needed new wires anyways, so i swapped them out and also put no plugs in. It starts, and will run if you rev it, but dies at idle. Trying to start it feels like its super rough on the engine, and it will shake. I then decided to clean the injectors, and swap my fuel filter out as it has 300k miles. Still nothing. And when i move the distributor it doesn't effect idle or anything. Fuel pump also makes a noise and comes on, so not that.

I am very puzzled, it still sounds like a a bad miss or timing problem. Im going to check the timing belt and go from there. But what else could it be? It has been my daily driver and has been perfect to me until now.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:11 PM
Received 588 Likes on 554 Posts

spray some degreaser and clean up my intake manifold. and it died and would no turn back on. I had to push it back home.But what else could it be?
OK, You cleaned something under the hood using a liquid and now the car won't run.

Your liquid got somewhere electrical - and is screwed up your ignition system. Cap, rotor, wires would be the culprits. Don't go off on a timing belt, muffler bearing or act of god tangent. that will just be even more frustrating.

The following 3 users liked this post by hoonk:
Gregar1 (11-27-2021), Me512Mike (11-27-2021), Zombi (12-05-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 12:33 PM

Turned out to be coincidental, my harmonic balancer i found to spin freely! And the crankshaft keys are sheared! Awesome. There is also lots of belt wear on a brand new tensioner and the new timing belt has heat cracks. Does this mean its done?

Old 11-27-2021, 12:50 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Just replace the belt, it's cheap. Why the heat cracks though?

Old 11-27-2021, 01:06 PM

i replaced my harmonic balancer a couple of weeks ago. It’s a wearable part Your VOLVO is fine.

remove #1 spark plug. Pack cylinder with rope to stop progressing to crack nut. Replace belts

Turned out to be coincidental, my harmonic balancer i found to spin freely! And the crankshaft keys are sheared! Awesome. There is also lots of belt wear on a brand new tensioner and the new timing belt has heat cracks. Does this mean its done?