240 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 front suspension

recently my 1990 240 sedan has been making a soft clicking/ popping sound from my front driver side wheel. happens at low speeds or maybe that's the only time I can hear it.

I have the blue Bentley manual and it has led me to believe the issue is somewhere amongst the control arm.

it is probably time for new parts as I don't think the front suspension has been serviced ever.

does anyone know what exact parts I will need? bushings, ball joint, what else? I'm looking to replace everything I can short of the strut while I'm in there including fasteners. any help is appreciated thank you

Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I suggest you examine the front end to determine what's worn and fix that and only that. "Replacing everything" is a sure way to screw things up, do unneeded work and spent unnecessarily.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go to IPDusa.com

they are on top of all things Volvo
check out the bushings and ball joints and then get the appropriate quantity

make sure everything is tight and don't forget to get an alignment when you are done

Old 02-27-2016, 12:14 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

possible wear items in the front end of a high mileage 240...

strut and strut mount
ball joint
outer steering tie rod tip
inner steering tie rod tip
antisway bar bushings
main control arm bushings

each of these can be checked and verified, only replace whats actually needed, as poorly sourced parts are often WORSE than whats on there.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM

ok it took me a while to get a jack and stands but I finally got to looking at it. looks like it's the strut? idk the ball joint looks questionable too. control arm is definitely a bit crusty. what do yo think? here is a video

http://sendvid.com/463g0lo9

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Crusty to say the least

Nothing looks torn as I can see but that strut is Definitely Shot!

You need new shocks at least for the left and right front (always replace in pairs)
you will need to replace or more likely grease the upper spring bearings

ball joint looks good so long as there is no play
I always lift the tire up off the ground and hit the tire with my palm in various parts listening for vibration and clunks

also lift the wheel up and grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to wiggle it front to back (not rolling, but front to back while facing the wheel) if there is much play in it then you will likely be looking at wheel bearings too.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help!!

okay regarding the struts, is this doable at home? I'm guessing a spring compressor is involved which makes me leery.
as far as replacements, is it worth it to invest in higher performance parts or should I try and find original quality struts?

there was a small amount of play and noise when pushing the wheel back and forth perpendicular to wheel movement.

thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 02:05 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the original struts were boge-sachs. I have bilstein touring on 740 wagon, which give a slightly firmer ride. bilstein sport and HD are even firmer, I wouldn't use those unless I was going the sport spring route, which are sligthly lower than stock, and somewhat stiffer. this will make a lousy street car, the ride will be busy and harsh.

boge and bilstein shocks last a long time, especially compared with brands like KYB or worse.

rumor has it the volvo factory struts/shocks now are Monroe. Monroe used to suck, really bad, but I have a 1993 benz 300CE convertible the previous owner just replaced the shocks on, the work order said they used NAPA brand shocks (WTF?) and when I looked them up online, it appears they are made by Monroe, and I have to say they are very responsive sports performance shocks, the ride is nicely dampened. I never would have chosen them, but they seem to work very nicely on that car, so maybe they've stepped up their game

I'd avoid pretty much anything else unless you're going high end track suspension with fancy coil-overs and da kine stuff stuff (see a couple of the fancy build threads in teh stickies on this forum)

Old 08-08-2021, 01:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

compressing the springs at home is possible, ive done it,but you need to be careful if they get released suddenly it can be dangerous. shops that do that have better tools. we made up tools for the job....basically hook things with threaded rods..