90' 240 Blower Motor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90' 240 Blower Motor Problem

Hi fellas,

I'm having issues with my blower motor for the heat/AC. Here's the problem:

1) When I would turn the steering wheel left, the air stopped flowing, or ran really low (this was with the setting on 4). When I turned the wheel to the right, it would go full power. Bring it back to the middle and it was medium (if that) power.

2) On a recent trip, it stopped doing #1 altogether and now doesn't blow at all and won't come on with the switch.

What do you think my issue is here? A wiring issue outside the motor? The motor itself? Love to hear your thought before I partake in ripping the dash out to replace. If you could direct to me to a write up on that, would be thankful.

Any advice would be appreciated, need to get this solved before winter

Thanks,

Craig

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

on the side of the blower cage is a resistor pack, this is used for the various speeds, and is frequently involved with fan motor speed issues, especially if only HIGH works, and the other speeds don't.

there's no WAY your steering wheel should be impacting your fan operation. that suggests there's some bad wiring in there, maybe as a result of hacked stereo installation in the past?

the wiring is pretty straight forward. the fan speed switch has like 4 wires out of it, these all go directly to that resistor pack. high speed (4) goes directly to the fan, then each of the other speeds goes through 1 or more of the resistors. the AC relay is hooked up to override 'fan off' and drive the fan at '1' (unless its set higher). from the switch to the resistor pack, the wires are black (1), brown (2), white (3), blue (4) and red (fan motor). the white-black wire to the switch is the power from fuse 3, and the white-red wire is from the AC microswitch (so that if the AC is on, it forces the fan to be at least low)

the fan in a 240 is in the middle of the $#@$ console under the dashboard, and its almost like the whole car was built around it. IF you do need to replace the fan motor, there's a 'chainsaw' method that involves cutting a hole in the side of the blower box and extracting the motor through the hole, much much simpler than a full dashboard disassembly.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the blower cage?

Prior to the stall out, all the fan settings were working. And the stereo is original, so no bad wiring there.

Originally Posted by pierce
on the side of the blower cage is a resistor pack, this is used for the various speeds, and is frequently involved with fan motor speed issues, especially if only HIGH works, and the other speeds don't.

there's no WAY your steering wheel should be impacting your fan operation. that suggests there's some bad wiring in there, maybe as a result of hacked stereo installation in the past?

the wiring is pretty straight forward. the fan speed switch has like 4 wires out of it, these all go directly to that resistor pack. high speed (4) goes directly to the fan, then each of the other speeds goes through 1 or more of the resistors. the AC relay is hooked up to override 'fan off' and drive the fan at '1' (unless its set higher). from the switch to the resistor pack, the wires are black (1), brown (2), white (3), blue (4) and red (fan motor). the white-black wire to the switch is the power from fuse 3, and the white-red wire is from the AC microswitch (so that if the AC is on, it forces the fan to be at least low)

the fan in a 240 is in the middle of the $#@$ console under the dashboard, and its almost like the whole car was built around it. IF you do need to replace the fan motor, there's a 'chainsaw' method that involves cutting a hole in the side of the blower box and extracting the motor through the hole, much much simpler than a full dashboard disassembly.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the ventilation blower is inside a plastic box, thats what I meant by 'cage'.

see Volvo 240 Heater AC Blower Fan Motor Replacement for various methods of replacing the blower motor... but, I'm not sure you need a motor, rather, I think there's a wiring problem, maybe a bad ground.