'93 240 air compressor, belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 240 air compressor, belt replacement

i'm changing the alternator, power steering and air compressor belts on my '93 240 and can't seem to get the air compressor to move, so i can't replace the belt. i've loosened the top two bolts and a third bolt closest to the driver's side fender but i still can't create any slack. the alternator and power steering units moved freely so i could get the belts around them, but the compressor won't budge. is there another bolt i should be loosening somwhere? any help is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a "hidden bolt" in between the compressor(back of compressor)...hard to get to need a long extension a wobbly and a 13 mm socket...it is behind the first bolt look closely...also make sure you are loosening the pressure on the pullies after loosening the 13 mm bolts by turning counter clockwise on the 10mm bolt...

Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM

thanks much for your reply. i think i found that bolt, directly to the rear of the first one but hidden below some housing, and loosened it using a long 13 mm. i also took out another bolt, with the rubber grommet, closest to the fender. that's three bolts total and the thing doesn't seem to budge by hand. is there yet another 13 mm bolt underneath somewhere? or do i have to move it exclusively with the long 10 mm tensioning bolt? i do see some slight movement using the tensioning bolt but i don't want to force things out of whack. does the compressor move up toward the engine or down toward the ground to create the slack?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

tensioner bolt needs to be moved out quite some distance first...you'll know when you have it correct....you won't get anything out of whack...it either moves if you have all the bolts loosened and the tensioners loose or it doesn't...

Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM

I had the same problem today, but got it all back together and figured out.

BUT,...

Now the AC belt squeals when I turn on the AC. The AC belt seems pretty loose...but I don't know how to tighten it more.

AND, I can hear the water pump humming a bit....?? Are the crank belts too tight?

Thanks for ANY INFO!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93-245
I had the same problem today, but got it all back together and figured out.

BUT,...

Now the AC belt squeals when I turn on the AC. The AC belt seems pretty loose...but I don't know how to tighten it more.

AND, I can hear the water pump humming a bit....?? Are the crank belts too tight? Maybe...also make sure you are not low on power steering fluid(dex/merc ATF)

Thanks for ANY INFO!
tightens by the 2 10 mm tensioners(one on power steering pump) one on compressor)...belts should have some give able to turn 1/4 turn without forcing but good tension not sloppy...if belts are real dry they will squeal too..squirt a little tranny fluid on them if they are dry...

Last edited by volvoguy2323; 07-13-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
tightens by the 2 10 mm tensioners(one on power steering pump) one on compressor)...belts should have some give able to turn 1/4 turn without forcing but good tension not sloppy...if belts are real dry they will squeal too..squirt a little tranny fluid on them if they are dry...

Ok, I must be missing the 10mm tension bolt on the compressor,...it is not there. I can see where it obviously goes...but no bolt.

Also now I can hear the water pump....are the two crank/alternator belts too tight, putting pressure on the water pump bearings? I've confirmed that theory with 2 people today,...but just want another Volvo guy's opinion.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Ok, I must be missing the 10mm tension bolt on the compressor,...it is not there. I can see where it obviously goes...but no bolt.

Also now I can hear the water pump....are the two crank/alternator belts too tight, putting pressure on the water pump bearings? I've confirmed that theory with 2 people today,...but just want another Volvo guy's opinion.
One is one power steering pump and one is on top of the compressor under the power steering pump...there are 2 just need to look harder...either they are too tight which you can tell cause I told you you should be able to twist belts 1/4 to 1/2 turn with tension not sloppy....if they cannot turn or feel like they are going to snap...loosen them some...or your water pump is bad...

Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I am definitely missing the compressor tension bolt...I can see where it goes,..but no bolt.

I went to the local Volvo dealership today and had to order the whole bracket. ($13 bucks),..but all I will probably use is the tension bolt I need.

After I install that,...that should take care of the AC belt squeal problem (lack of tension)

My PS Pulley is NOT aligned with the A/C Compressor pulley...which concerns me. It is only slightly off...but enough to see it is a different angle. Comments on this? I looked again tonight, and I may be missing 1 (lower left) mounting bolt for the PS pump...but I need to verify that. IF SO, that might be the answer.

I'm about to take a 2500+ mile journey from SoCal to Oregon, via the 395 North..and I am just trying to make sure that all these things are taken care of before I leave.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Banned

I am definitely missing the compressor tension bolt...I can see where it goes,..but no bolt.

I went to the local Volvo dealership today and had to order the whole bracket. ($13 bucks),..but all I will probably use is the tension bolt I need.

After I install that,...that should take care of the AC belt squeal problem (lack of tension)

My PS Pulley is NOT aligned with the A/C Compressor pulley...which concerns me. It is only slightly off...but enough to see it is a different angle. Comments on this? I looked again tonight, and I may be missing 1 (lower left) mounting bolt for the PS pump...but I need to verify that. IF SO, that might be the answer.

I'm about to take a 2500+ mile journey from SoCal to Oregon, via the 395 North..and I am just trying to make sure that all these things are taken care of before I leave.

sounds like someone replaced the A/C compressor once already before you bought the car and did not install correctly. I would re-do it correctly with the proper mounting brackets/tensioners if you can...if not get it as close as you can and prey your belts don't snap on your journey or worse...puts strain on the system when the belts are uneven...Come up to Seattle and visit us at Larson's Volvo Repair 7301 Roosevelt Way NE Seattle,WA 98115 206.729.6196...Portland is only a 2 1/2 hour drive...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Yeah I bet your right. I am not sure why the bolt was just "gone", since the end of them is crimped from the factory, to make it hard to get completely out. Anyways, got it back in, and it's working good. Now to replace the water pump (bad bearings), oil separator, heater hoses, and fuel filter...and I think I'll be ready to go.

I'll try to post some pics I took of the angle of the PS pulley in comparison to the AC Pulley, it is obviously off,...but I don't think it will cause any major problems.....yet. I did stop by my local mechanic and asked him if it looked ok, and he didn't seem to think it was a problem. (but he also thought that it was the shimmed kind of adjustment....so..yeah).

Anyways, thanks for the guidance. I won't be getting up to Seattle this trip unfortunately, but I would love to have it "assessed" by some real experts!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM

I posted 2 pictures of the PS Pulley Alignment in my picture album, take a look. I've driven the car about 5,000 miles already, and it is the same. I have a spare (new) belt for it as well, just in case.

I'm not sure what the alignment problem is,...but the front of the PS pump/pulley is clearly lower than it should be. I'm not sure if there are bushings on the bracket or what, but I don't think it will be too hard to figure out. I just need some time to study it.

Question: How tight should the belts be? Right now I think they are a bit loose as they squeal when I start it, (for about 10 seconds after I start driving)

Old 09-04-2011, 12:22 PM

There is a "hidden bolt" in between the compressor(back of compressor)...hard to get to need a long extension a wobbly and a 13 mm socket...it is behind the first bolt look closely...also make sure you are loosening the pressure on the pullies after loosening the 13 mm bolts by turning counter clockwise on the 10mm bolt...
Will this also apply to the 1984 240DL?