Adjusting Timing on 1990 Volvo 740 GL

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Timing on 1990 Volvo 740 GL

I have a 1990 Volvo 740 GL non turbo. A couple of wires on the fuel sending unit broke so I found a used sending unit at a salvage yard. I installed it but the car would not start. It would just turn over. I unhooked the fuel line on the motor where it goes into the fuel injectors and gas shot out so it seems that the sending unit is working. I kept trying to start it and it started spitting and sputtering and it finally started and as long as I rev the engine up it stays running but as soon as take my foot off the gas it dies. My neighbor said it sounded like it had jumped timing. I've investigated online how to adjust timing, but couldn't find anything on a 1990 Volvo. I found a video showing someone adjusting the timing on a Chevy short block and they just unscrewed a bolt from the distributor and turned it back and forth until the timing was right. But on my car the distributor is on the back of the motor and it doesn't look like you can unhook it and turn it. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

when he said 'jumped timing', he undoubtably meant the timing belt that runs the camshaft, this is under the black cover on the front of the engine.

I dunno but a timing belt jumping is pretty unlikely. instead, I'd be going thruogh the standard fuel and ignition things before messing with the timing belt. see http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...Symptoms1.html for tons of tips

your bit about the distributor is ignition timing, and applies only to old cars with breaker point ignition, a thing of the distant past.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by texasinger
I have a 1990 Volvo 740 GL non turbo. A couple of wires on the fuel sending unit broke so I found a used sending unit at a salvage yard. I installed it but the car would not start. It would just turn over. I unhooked the fuel line on the motor where it goes into the fuel injectors and gas shot out so it seems that the sending unit is working. I kept trying to start it and it started spitting and sputtering and it finally started and as long as I rev the engine up it stays running but as soon as take my foot off the gas it dies. My neighbor said it sounded like it had jumped timing. I've investigated online how to adjust timing, but couldn't find anything on a 1990 Volvo. I found a video showing someone adjusting the timing on a Chevy short block and they just unscrewed a bolt from the distributor and turned it back and forth until the timing was right. But on my car the distributor is on the back of the motor and it doesn't look like you can unhook it and turn it. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a check engine light ? Also check the codes and see if you have any. If the car won't idle I would consider looking at the IAC or TPS or MAF sensors. Also verify if the throttle body is clean. That would be my areas to look at.