Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Issue

I searched the previous posts regarding this topic but found nothing that really helped so, I started a new thread.

I have a '89 245 wagon with Girling (non-ABS) brakes.
I have replaced a failed master cylinder, a failed brake booster, and two sticking front calipers. There are new pads all around.

I bench bled the master cylinder twice, because one of the new calipers had a faulty bleed valve seat that leaked and required a replacement caliper. I bled the system five times, using the 8 step sequence for this type system. My brake peddle is still spongy.

I tried a air pressure operated vacuum bleeder, I tried making an adaptor out of a used master cylinder cap for my KD Tools pump-up pressure bleeder (leaked around the perimeter gasket), I tried manual bleeding with an assistant. As a side note, my KD Tools pump up bleeder (works like a weed sprayer) only has an adaptor for round master cylinders that has a tapered rubber cone that fits over the reservoir and tightens with a chain and wing nut around the master cylinder. The last time I tried to use this on a Samurai, it leaked like a sieve. I searched for a KD Tools web site but found none.

Here's what happens that leads me to believe my problem is not the master cylinder having air:
After successful bench bleeding, I reinstall the master cylinder and go through the bleed sequence. When I get to step three of eight, the right rear, I get very little brake fluid as compared to the left rear. Same with the left front lower bleeders. The fluid volume is inconsistent and I am not sure if this is related to the master cylinder having stepped inside diameter and thus less volume or not.

Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you solve the issue?
Also, I am considering spending the $ for a Motive European brake bleeder adaptor and modifying it work with my KD Tool pressure pump. Has anyone used the Motive and did it leak around the threads?
Thanks,

Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you try the bleeding with a helper? I still believe that's the best way! it's possible that the MC you got is faulty; other than that, how are your brake hoses? Sponginess may be caused by distending hoses too. I know, you seem to think that something is impeding the flow of the fluid but I can't think what that would be, and how it would cause sponginess.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Lev, the 2 man method is best. Be sure to hold the pedal down until the bleeder valve is re-tightened. Also when i bled my brakes with my buddy, there was something clogging the passenger rear caliper, it required removing the entire bleeder valve poking with a wire and some compressed air. then flowed much better. its entirely possible a small rock or piece of metal worked it way to the bleeder valve...

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by Xoloski
I searched the previous posts regarding this topic but found nothing that really helped so, I started a new thread.

I have a '89 245 wagon with Girling (non-ABS) brakes.
I have replaced a failed master cylinder, a failed brake booster, and two sticking front calipers. There are new pads all around.

I bench bled the master cylinder twice, because one of the new calipers had a faulty bleed valve seat that leaked and required a replacement caliper. I bled the system five times, using the 8 step sequence for this type system. My brake peddle is still spongy.

I tried a air pressure operated vacuum bleeder, I tried making an adaptor out of a used master cylinder cap for my KD Tools pump-up pressure bleeder (leaked around the perimeter gasket), I tried manual bleeding with an assistant. As a side note, my KD Tools pump up bleeder (works like a weed sprayer) only has an adaptor for round master cylinders that has a tapered rubber cone that fits over the reservoir and tightens with a chain and wing nut around the master cylinder. The last time I tried to use this on a Samurai, it leaked like a sieve. I searched for a KD Tools web site but found none.

Here's what happens that leads me to believe my problem is not the master cylinder having air:
After successful bench bleeding, I reinstall the master cylinder and go through the bleed sequence. When I get to step three of eight, the right rear, I get very little brake fluid as compared to the left rear. Same with the left front lower bleeders. The fluid volume is inconsistent and I am not sure if this is related to the master cylinder having stepped inside diameter and thus less volume or not.

Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you solve the issue?
Also, I am considering spending the $ for a Motive European brake bleeder adaptor and modifying it work with my KD Tool pressure pump. Has anyone used the Motive and did it leak around the threads?
Thanks,

Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put a new MC in my wife's 89 740 GL. It started with a soft peddle and finally I saw fluid stains where it bolted up to the vacuum can. I also replaced the 2 rear brake hoses. The car has 345K miles on it. I bench bled the MC using adapters on all 6 fittings. I then filled up the bottle and let it sit with all of the fittings open. Fluid came out of all of the fittings so I plugged them up. I then replaced the 2 rear rubber brake hoses. I used a minivac hand vacuum pump starting at the right (pass) rear , then left (Driver) rear then the top (pass) front followed by the bottom (pass) front and then the same on the driver side. Note all wheels were off of the car as it was on jack stands. I got bubbles then solid fluid from all bleeder fittings. Once this was all done I had a hard peddle but I then had my wife do the normal brake peddle pump bit as I rebled each wheel in the same sequence. Net was the system feels new , the sponge is gone and all calipers function correctly.