DIY Crankshaft Pulley Holder?

Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Crankshaft Pulley Holder?

Is there an alternative method for securing the crankshaft pulley? I believe mine is failing and is causing the belts to rub against the timing cover and the crank pulley misaligns when I marked it with some white-out and ran the car for a little bit.

IPD sells their specialty holder tool, pictured below:

I was wondering if anyone has had success using another method that doesn't require the holder tool? As much as I love acquiring more tools for the garage, I wanted to see if there was another way before spending nearly $50.
Thanks

Old 09-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve seen some people bend some flat steel and weld on a section of pipe cut in half and notched.

As far as something else you can:

Attach a breaker bar and bump start the bolt out (you will still need a trick to put the bolt back)
fill cylinder #1 with nylon rope and compress it to hold the crank steady (i don't like this one)
Use Air tools to remove and attach it

Strap wrenches do not work, so don't bother...

I have also heard that there is a small hole in the fly wheel that you can put a socket extension through to hold it still, but I think you have to remove the starter for that.

Lastly, if it’s got a standard transmission, park it with the E-Brake and put it into 4th gear. This will be enough to hold the crank still

Personally, I forked out the $50 with IPD. That put my order into the "Free Shipping" category, so I really spent like $30 on it lol

Old 09-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How about buying a new crank pulley and install it with an air gun.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Bumping the starter works but in most cases you'll break the notch in the gear at the back of the balancer.
The "rope trick" works the best short of the tool (some cheap tools are not good, they bend). Take a spark plug out, stick a piece of heavy non disintegrating end of rope in the hole, turn the engine with a wrench at the crank, the piston moves up, locks, bolt turns. Works for tightening as well.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nichals
I’ve seen some people bend some flat steel and weld on a section of pipe cut in half and notched.

As far as something else you can:

Attach a breaker bar and bump start the bolt out (you will still need a trick to put the bolt back)
fill cylinder #1 with nylon rope and compress it to hold the crank steady (i don't like this one)
Use Air tools to remove and attach it

Strap wrenches do not work, so don't bother...

I have also heard that there is a small hole in the fly wheel that you can put a socket extension through to hold it still, but I think you have to remove the starter for that.

Lastly, if it’s got a standard transmission, park it with the E-Brake and put it into 4th gear. This will be enough to hold the crank still

Personally, I forked out the $50 with IPD. That put my order into the "Free Shipping" category, so I really spent like $30 on it lol
My 240 is automatic, too bad cause the parking brake and fourth gear trick sounded nice and straight forward. And since there isn't a flywheel, I guess there's no way to lock it in place like in my BMW's where you insert a pin to hold the flywheel and motor at TDC.

Originally Posted by Nichals
Awesome find! That's almost half the price of IPD's tool. Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by jagtoes
How about buying a new crank pulley and install it with an air gun.
Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor in the garage When I have my own home I'll definitely have a lot of fun tooling up the garage and doing it right. For now, I have a very small garage in my apartment building and can barely open the doors when the 240 is parked inside.

Originally Posted by lev
Bumping the starter works but in most cases you'll break the notch in the gear at the back of the balancer.
The "rope trick" works the best short of the tool (some cheap tools are not good, they bend). Take a spark plug out, stick a piece of heavy non disintegrating end of rope in the hole, turn the engine with a wrench at the crank, the piston moves up, locks, bolt turns. Works for tightening as well.
I may give that a try, if it doesn't work then I'll purchase the pulley holder tool.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
My 240 is automatic, too bad cause the parking brake and fourth gear trick sounded nice and straight forward. And since there isn't a flywheel, I guess there's no way to lock it in place like in my BMW's where you insert a pin to hold the flywheel and motor at TDC.

Awesome find! That's almost half the price of IPD's tool. Thank you!!!

Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor in the garage When I have my own home I'll definitely have a lot of fun tooling up the garage and doing it right. For now, I have a very small garage in my apartment building and can barely open the doors when the 240 is parked inside.

I may give that a try, if it doesn't work then I'll purchase the pulley holder tool.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Im really curious about the "Rope Trick" let us know how it goes please!

Old 10-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I use the rope trick all the time. Just be sure the number 1 cylinder (the one you put the rope in) is on the compression cycle.

Also, make sure you get all the rope out before you start the engine when you are done. There were posts over on brickboard of someone who forgot and ended up bending a rod.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Hi, can you say me why the 4th speed and not the 1st? There is a reason? Because I think in 1st it oppose more resistance... Isn't it?

Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

First is less resistance from the engine side of things.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I trapped the flywheel witha screwdriver while my buddy backed or tightened the crank bolt. That worked fine. But i'm planning to buy the special tool for future jobs.

We tried putting a u-bolt thru the crank pulley and then securing chain to it and to the beam below the crank, but I wouldn't recommend that as the lower timing cover doesn't allow much room for the u-bolt clearance.