engine trying, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine trying, but won't start

I've got a starting problem in an 87 740GLE with a B230F engine non-turbo. The car just died while driving home. I got it home and changed the timing belt. Now the car is trying to start. It's firing and almost runs, but it won't catch and run. Since it is actually firing, what sort of things do you think I should check? I do alot of my own car repairs, but as of yet, I've never worked on a Volvo so everything is new to me.
If anyone has any ideas, don't be afraid to be too specific. I'm a real novice with this car.
Incidentally, I checked and double checked that my timing marks (cam gear, crank gear, etc.) were in perfect alignment. Almost positive I'm not off. If I were at TDC on exhaust stroke when I put on the belt, would that cause the engine to actually fire but not start? Thanks for any help guys! I'm not in over my head, but I'm definitely up to my neck.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What made you decide on changing the timing belt when you got it home. Was it snapped or worn before you replaced it with a new one.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car acted like the belt had slipped (spark, fuel, engine turns over, but no start). When I got down to the timing belt, I found that it had not slipped, but because it was way past time to change it, I did so. Now the car is firing, but won't run. Also, I'm sure the plug wires are in the correct order.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the spark plugs and clean them off. They probably have gas all over them.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Check that the crankshaft pulley is not internally separated.... This would throw off the timing and it happens a lot. The rubber insulator breaks and under load shifts around.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you assume anything just go back to the basics. Spark and fuel . You would need to verify if you have both. Short out a plug wire and verify if you have spark. Pull a spark plug and see if it is wet. Turn on the key and listen for the fuel pumps. Recheck the firing order and reverify the timing is at TDC. How many miles on the car . Have the fuel pump relays ever been replaced. This is just another engine and nothing special so it should just be basic diagnostics. Good luck