Forever Grateful for Help with Flooding 1990 740 GL

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forever Grateful for Help with Flooding 1990 740 GL

Hello,
I'm turning to the pros here for help.

Here's the deal.
I have a well maintained 1990 Volo 740 GL - Only 80,000 miles on her.

Three weeks ago (cold day <10 degrees) I went out and started my car and moved it ten feet and shut it off. I started absolutely fine.
A Half hour later, I went to start it again and it was cranking fine and acting like it was going to catch but never did. I also immediately smelled gas. Figuring the car was flooded. I held the gas pedal to the floor and continued to try to start it to no avail.

Had it towed to a local shop and they said it was simply flooded and they changed the oil, cleaned the plugs and said it started fine.
I picked it up and took it home. The next morning (very cold again) It wouldn't start...again, immediately smelled gas...try to clear it by holding down the gas pedal and again...no start. (cost with tow - $180)

Had it towed again to another local shop...this guy also changed the oil cleaned the plugs and he disconnected the cold start injector thinking that it was spraying in too much fuel. Figuring it was a cold start flooding problem. (cost with tow - $260)

I picked it up the next morning and it started fine and ran great as it always has.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I went out again on a cold morning. Started the car up just fine...moved it about 10 feet and shut it off and went out a half hour later to start it and SAME THING - Immediate smell of gas and NO Start.

This time I had it towed all the way to a Volvo Dealer who started that the connection to the Radio Suppresion Relay was bad and had to be rewired. So at the cost of $485...I had that done. The Service Advisor said that this should totally take car of the problem.
I picked up the car and it started right up. Drove it to the store a block away...ran in for just a second...came out and it wouldn't start!
I again...immediatelt smelled gas. I held the gas pedal down and luckily it did catch and fire right up...Drove perfect...no smoke...no loss of power. Nice Purring sound.
Drove it around for about ten miles and took it back to the dealership to have them look it over and they were closed.
I had shut the car off...I went to start it and it fired right up.

So...it seems that for some reason that if the car is ran for just a very short time and then shut off and tried to restart...
it immediately floods itself.

Does anyone have ANY IDEA why that might be happening? - I've got close to $1,000 spent on repairs and no closer to fixing the problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Forever Grateful for Help with Flooding 1990 740 GL

The 2 things I would have started off with from the start are the Fuel pressure regulator. You can check it your self. Open the hood on the front of the fuel injector rail you will see a round looking thing with a vaccum line going to it. Pull the hose off and see if it smells like gas or has gas in it. If so then the regulator is bad. That could be releasing the gas back into the intake and when you try to start it sucks it all in and floods it.

Then second thing I would look at is the injectors. 2 ways you can check it. One is to remove the fuel rail and see if any of the injectors are leaking after you turn it off. Or if you can get a fuel guage connect it and let the car run for a couple then turn it off and let it sit and see if the fuel pressure holds good or drops fast.

Try that stuff or have someone try that and let us know what happens.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:48 AM

it sounds like you have a bad coolant temp sensor,not for the gauges but for the PCM, a faulty coolant temp sensor may read -10 degrees on a cold morning and by default will increase the amount of gas the engine needs...that temp sensor is located under the intake manifold and is the one closest to the firewall.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM

I think I didn't read whether or not, they replaced the RSR. I bet not, but just curious. I like the call on the FPR, only because of the abnount of gas you continue to smell.