Getting close: 1984 245 wagon - fuel line question

Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting close: 1984 245 wagon - fuel line question

Okay, after a day of working to figure out why she is not starting, I think I'm getting somewhere. But, I still need your help. Here is where I am.

After checking the fuel line just past the fuel filter and outer fuel pump (thankfully at one time the line must have had a leak because there was a piece of hose fitted with two clamps - obviously someone had made a cheap repair - and I was able to simply loosen the clamps and remove the added hose) I had a friend turn the key while I watched at the opening of the line. Fuel was pouring out like I hoped. Put the line back together....Check

Next I located the 2 fuel lines that run to the front of the car underneath the hood to the injectors.

Here is where I start to become unsure of what is exactly going on. But I attached pictures.

One line comes up and runs toward the passenger side of the engine just near the firewall. (Middle Picture) This line connects to the fuel injectors near the firewall and I can't figure out how to disconnect it to check for the flow of fuel.

The other line I was able to disconnect. (First picture from left) It connects to the injectors further from the firewall and closer to the front of the vehicle. It also connects to this rounded silver object that looks like a small fuel filter or something - see picture. I disconnected this line right where it connects to this filter object, and while a friend turned the key, I watched to see if fuel came out. NOTHING. No fuel came out of the hose after trying several times. Does this possibly mean clogged line between the back and front of the lines?

Also, how do I get the first fuel line to disconnect to check for flowing fuel?

Also, if the line is just clogged should I just replace it?

Lastly, there is a picture where a small hose connects from the intake to that small filter-like object. (Picture furthest right) This hose I realized was cut badly. Could this be why the car did not start?

Attached Thumbnails Getting close:  1984 245 wagon - fuel line question-pic-1.jpg   Getting close:  1984 245 wagon - fuel line question-pic-2.jpg   Getting close:  1984 245 wagon - fuel line question-pic-3.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you asked, I'll say what I know, (which may not be much) Anyways, the little silver round thing is a fuel pressure regulator. I'm pretty sure fuel should not come out of here when the pump goes on, it goes the other way when the pressure is too high, hence the name. That fuel line you cannot get off is where the fuel flows. As far as getting it off, I do not know.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and as for that line going to the FPR from the intake, it might not start because the pressure is not regulated. Defiantly worth replacing anyways.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that was the fuel pressure regulator, you pulled off the vacuum hose which as stated, should have nothing come out of it. Be careful with the other end (fuel supply from pump), it looks like a rubber hose, but that's only to protect the nylon hose inside it. I know because I cut mine off thinking it was simply a piece of black rubber fuel hose. I was never able to get the hex fitting off the injector rail, it's on there for good... Without the vacuum hose connected to the regulator, I'd expect the car to start, but have driveability issues due to the unregulated pressure. There should be 45-50psi with no regulation, a bit less with the regulator working and connected. It's unlikely you have a clog in the fuel lines or that little vacuum line.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The primary fuel line-to-fuel injector rail fitting is nearly impossible to remove without some destruction. My dad has an '86 that sprung a leak in the nylon line. He found a complete replacement on line from a guy with 240 parts.
Anyway, flare nut wrenches, PB Blaster, even a little heat wouldn't budge the flare nut so I carefully cut the nut diagonally (across the threads) until I could split it.
Then it was a cake-walk to replace it. I was very careful not to damage the threads on the FI rail fitting and gently shaped them with a jeweler's file just in case.
I don't remember, does your car have a schrader valve at the end for depressurizing the FI rail? If so, you could probably pull the schrader valve out, pump some fuel and see if it squirts out of there. That's what I'd do.