How can I adjust front window glass in door frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I adjust front window glass in door frame?

'89 744

The driver's side front window has been tilted forward since I got the car many years ago, so when closed, there is a small gap at the top between the rear (vertical) door rail and the vertical edge of the glass. The glass is basically tilted so it's out of the rail from half-way up (the glass is tilted down at the front in its opening, though it goes up/down fine w/ the electric regulator).

This makes it noisy at 45mpg and above with wind noise w/ the window closed.

I finally took my door apart to investigate, and it appears there is no adjustment that would allow me to raise the front mounting connection between the regulator arm and the glass clamp. I was hoping there would be a slotted hole that would allow me to re-position the front arm-to-glass relationship, but no dice).

There is enough play in the system that I can raise the front so the window seals perfectly, but of course it just falls back down. Where that forward arm connects to the rear scissors arm, there is a "pivot" that is held together with a connection having a 1/4" square hole in it as if it could be turned (possibly an eccentric cam to allow relative adjustment to level the glass?), but it won't budge (and I don't dare apply enough force lest I damage something).

Nothing looks worn, so I can't believe it's worn and that Volvo built in NO adjustment for the window "angle."

Is there a way to alter the "angle" of the glass somewhere so the horizontal edges of glass are horizontal (level) so the window is "square" in it's frame??

I did a "Search" but alas saw no reference to any adjustments.

Bob

Old 11-22-2015, 04:14 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

having the window tilt forward near the top of its travel, leaving a little gap in the upper back edge is a sure sign the regulator is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:14 PM

I am just surprised that it should have worn out by 80k miles when I got the car back in 2005 (I now have 113k on the car).

There is a tiny bit of play at the main pivot scissors (allowing the front of the window to be lifted maybe 1/2" independent of the back end of the window), but the tuning forks and everything else is tight-as-new. No other wear anywhere.

I was hoping the pivot point w/ the 1/4" square opening was an eccentric to adjust the front-to-rear window height.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
lev
Received 135 Likes on 125 Posts

That IS odd, that a 740 with 80k would have this issue... Usually, this happens in well over 200k cars. I avoid synching the windows up too tightly, this even keeps the plastic sliders living longer. And yes, there is really no cure short of replacing the regulator...

Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 AM

OK, I GUESS I AM SUNK, THEN.

ODDLY, my nylon sliders ("tuning forks") have zero wear, or I'd switch them F to R as that would help when out the window a bit.

Unfortunately I am in the middle of a household move or I'd try cutting my front arm and mig welding it displaced a bit higher (or the rear one a bit lower by overlapping the sections a bit and welding). That butchery would be an ineligant solution, but cheap, and worth a try.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 11-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 AM
lev
Received 135 Likes on 125 Posts

The "tuning forks" are not the plastic pieces that wear... The parts I mentioned are where the window regulator attaches to the glass but that's not the problem you are having. The regulator is as cheap as $20 on ebay--best solution!