light out indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light out indicator

Hi,
I seem to be having a problem with that little light on the dash that indicates a light out.
I just replaced my tail lights, bulbs & boards, and a new headlight w/ fixture (all new after market) All the lights, marker lights, turn signals, fog lights lic. plt. lights all seem to work just fine, but that darn indicator on the inst. panel comes on every time I turn on the headlamps. It blinks once briefly when you step on the brake pedal, but only when the headlamps are on. Anybody got any ideas? This would make me pull my hair out if I still had any!
Thanks in advance,
......... Jim

Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Default RE: light out indicator

Jim join the club, i have the same problem with my 91 740. Im glad it is the only problem though. Here is what i think and maybe it will help or maybe not but if you have a spoiler and lights on that check to make sure every little light works. Also if you have a 3rd break light check that, i checked mine and found out that it is no longer connected!! Thats all i got i hope it got some ideas jump started in your head, and once again i think we would all that that little light flashing over any other problems. Cheers!

Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Colgate 41,
Thanks for the input, but as I forgot to mention, it's on my `89 240. No spoiler, or any kinda fancy stuff. It does however have a 3rd brake light which seems to work just fine. It's got me nuts. I just bought the car, this may have been part of the purchase, as I didn't think to try the head lights when I viewed pre-purchase. I guess if that's the biggest problem i encounter I'min good shape.
---Thanks again,
........Jim

Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM

While i do have a problem with my indicator light blinking from time to time while all lights work, you said something else that was a problem.

I once replaces one of my headlamps with an aftermarket one and my indicator light was always on after that. Took it to a mechanic and he said the indicator works off of voltage changes to detect lamos out. My after makket headlamo was different than the Volvo lamp so it detected a difference and lit up.

His answer was to make my low beams both the same lamos, which solved the problem. I am far from an expert, but that's what i was told and it solved the problem. Perhaps Tech or someone with electrical knowledge could weigh in on this??

Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 PM

Sorry about my poor typing, but I think you can get the idea. So much for reviewing the post before I actually post it.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 PM

IDF602,
You may have something there! Now that Ive changed the left headlamp assy, the right one looks kinda funny with it bein' all weathered and faded lookin'. Not that it's way up on my priority list now, but in the very near future, I'm thinkin' I outta change the right side assy any way.
---Thanks for the tip,
- Jim

Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 PM
bne

I have an 89 240 wagon and all lamps are original volvo equipment...and everything is in working order and yet I too get that bulb warning lamp coming on but only when I step on the brakes...regardless of the headlamps being on or off....cant figure it out myself but I am just living with it as everything works fine.And true there are other things that are more serious to worry abt so I just ignore it but i frequently check everything to be sure all is good.Good luck with it... BNE

Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it works by measureing the lights on both sides of the car if there is a difference it lights the bulb. It pays to replace bulbs in pairs. Also sometimes the sensor itself goes bad.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Hey!
Come to think of it, I didn't replace the bulb in the headlamp, I replaced the fixture. The problem I was having was in my taillights..... Bad circuit boards. I had no brake lights, 1 turn signal and the taillights only would work if you wiggled them just right, then go out when you hit a bump. So, I found a deal from a place in Jersey and ordered the whole shebang. The headlamp had a broken mounting plate, so I replaced the unit, cause the price wasn't a whole lot more than the mount plate and no headaches.
. Jim

Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure all the Bulbs match, Make sure the plastic on the taillights aren't melted any, Make sure all the sockets have clean connections, Also and most important sometimes. Make sure there is a white socket in the right taillight for the brake lights.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 AM

I have a 86 740 turbo, and just had the same problem, I think I have finally got it figured out. At first the light in the dash would come on randomly, I changed a few of the bulbs in the rear and then it would come on every time I braked, I then realized that even though the tail/brake light was working when the lights were on, the drivers side one was not lighting up bright when I braked.First make sure, that the three clips on the light socket are lined up properly with the holes, one is a little bigger. I found that what was happening was that the socket was a little loose. All I did to fix that was put something between the socket and the plastic casing that covers the lights from the trunk so that when I closed it it pushed the socket in tight and it now gets a good connection.