Mystery Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Volvo

I purchased a down on its luck 92 Volvo 244 with a 5 speed as a parts car this weekend. it still runs and drives fine, just has no stickers or plates. a few dings here and there but overall pretty straight. The mechanic who had it said it was a bought in Germany and shipped to Texas by the original owner.

i didn't think anything of it at first, but after looking at it i noticed all the trim/ chrome is black, as are the rims, and grill, and it looks like it was from the factory. The rims still had the hub caps on them. It also has a sticker on the fenders and trunk that says " volvo nurburgring", and the sticker is under the clear coat. There is also a special delivery sticker on the back side window.

After doing a little research i found that the 240 Torslanda was offered in 92-93 and had blacked out chrome, trim, and rims, as well as 2.0 liter engine. But the emblems on the one i purchased are different than the one i have seen on the internet.

Is the car that i purchased a German variant of the Torslanda?

Does anyone have any real information on this German car or the Tourslanda?

The car is at my brothers right now so i will not have pictures until the weekend.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

The key would be if your car has the 2.0 lt motor or the 2.3 lt. Look at the stickers under the hood and the door pillars.

Torslanda
(1992-93 Europe-only special edition. A base-model 2.0 engine car with side decals, alloy wheels and painted black exterior trim rather than chrome. It was designed as a way to sell off the last of the line base models by adding a few cosmetic touch ups.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:05 PM

i'll check the engine code this weekend when i get some pics.

From my research the Tourslanda were only offered as a 245. The German car (Bartleby) is a 244, also it does not have the alloy rims, just black steelies with some sweet chrome lugs. Nor does it have any of the Tourslanda emblems/decals. it also has a 240 emblems on it, which the Tourslanda did not sport.

Overall seems like a base model, cloth interior, no tach, it's a no frill kinda girl.

I got it because i need the front clip to fix some cosmetic damage on my 245 (Iola). I am now considering fixing this car up because it might be something special.

I'll get the engine size and pics up this weekend. I can't find one image on the internet of the emblem it has on it.

Any more input is always welcome.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

FWIW, I've been told the late aussie 240s were all black trim, including the 'hockey sticks' on the bumpers.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

"Torslanda" was a stripped down model, very basic, with hardly any power features like Power Windows, etc. It did have special wheels though.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM

So i finally got to the car, and processed the photos i took. She is nothing special. Just an American spec car sold to a service man in Germany. has the bf230 engine.

Took me a while to decide what I am doing with it. I decided to go with the original plan and remove the upper and lower radiator mounts to fix the cosmetic issues with my wagon. I am also going to be swapping the transmission from the sedan to the wagon. the transmission just stopped going into overdrive, well it engages about 15 minutes of driving. I have done a transmission fluid flush as well as replaced the OD relay. it could be the solenoid but i want a standard anyways, and I was planning to do a t5 swap at some point. So i might as well put in the 5 speed.

Does anyone have any experience with this procedure. (front end swap)

Also does anyone have some experience with doing a automatic to manual conversion? Anything i should look out for? My brother has done them before on Ford trucks, so he will be helping me, but he has no experience with Volvos. He also runs a welding shop so he will be doing the front end work.

photos of the Bartleby the donor car. Last photo with the boar skull car is my wagon for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Volvo-dsc_0090.jpg   Mystery Volvo-dsc_0086.jpg   Mystery Volvo-dsc_0082.jpg   Mystery Volvo-dsc_0080.jpg   Mystery Volvo-fotoflexer_photo.jpg