reset ECU car starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reset ECU car starts and dies

Ok the other day while driving i get a CEL.
I check it and its 2-3-2. so i figure id start with the O2 sensor. I cant get it out of the exhaust pipe so i figure i'll leave it until tomorrow when i can get a socket for it.
So i go on to do the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Get all that done and it starts right up.
Then just to make sure the computer is throwing the right code, or just because i had to screw with something else, I reset the ECU. (by disconnecting the neg battery cable for a few minutes)

I check the ECU again and get 1-1-1 ok im good right?

Nope

When i go to start the car again it starts up and dies after about 2 seconds. Like revs to idle like a normal start and then just studders out.

Any ideas?

(other then O2 obviously)

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM

I`m no expert - but here's what I think...
Your computer "knows" how much gas is supposed to go into each cylinder... the o2 sensor monitors exaust gas to check everything is good...
As your engine wears, it may need more gas or less gas, so the o2 sensor teaches the computer how to adjust it's mix...
When you reset the computer - it forgets what it's learned about how to adjust the air fuel mix, which would lead to rough running until it has time to relearn (I think this takes 20 miles of driving or so).
Combined with your whack o2 sensor - the car may just have no idea how much gas it's supposed to use.
I say replace the o2 sensor - then see if you can take it for a drive and reteach the computer.

Good luck - I just got a 2-3-2 code myself.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull codes again. All resetting the ECU does is make it go back to a base line tune and clear the codes. It doesn't make whatever is causing the code disappear. If something is still wrong, it will throw teh code again immediately.
It's quite normal to have a poorly idiling engine right after an ECU reset and expect bad fuel consumption for a while too.
But you should have just waited till you replaced the O2 sensor before resetting ECU.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 AM

yeah i know it doesnt make the problem go away... it was kinda just a double check of the system.

Anyways after i posted last night i went out later and started it again. It ran with the revs going up and down at idle for about 2 minutes. Then it smoothed out as the computer relearned what it needed to do, and once it was running good it gave code 1-1-3.

I did manage to drive it 20 miles to work today with no problems other then it seeming to be rich (little bogging etc)

So im going to stop and get an O2 Socket after work today and give it another try at getting it out...

imagin that. something thats under a car in an exhaust pipe for 18 years is tough to get out...

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Give the o2 sensor threads a good squirt with WD40 or similar for several days after you park the car in the evening before trying to remove it. Then when you do try to remove it, do it with a hot exhaust, just be careful of burning yourself. Apply as much oil as you want, it will all help!
When the exhaust is hot, the bung the o2 sensor is in expands a little.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

I soaked it pretty good with wd40 for a couple of days now.. Had a good hot exhaust from the drive home (over 20 miles) and went at it with the O2 sensor soccet that i borrowed from auto zone.

It worked great... At making my o2 sensor nice and round LOL

so i though hey ill just get a new cat and sensor from FCP (right down the road from my house) thats only about 180 so not too bad.. but then i noticed the last owner replaced the back half of the exhaust and had it welded in and not bolted =)

Off to the shop =)

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 AM

Bugger! I hate it when things cascade like this! Smart move just buying a new cat.
There is another way to remove it, weld a long piece of tube onto it with a T bar across the top.
I've seen old o2 sensors rip the threads out of the threaded bung on the exhaust.
Be sure and use LOTS of anti seize on the new sensor.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Have you looked at the engine coolant temp sensor on the head?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM

OP listed the codes he had and none indicated temp sensor.
If more people would check codes, it would be much easier.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by bitter356
Have you looked at the engine coolant temp sensor on the head?
I'm having a similar problem on my V90 (aka 960) after replacing the head gasket and resetting the ECU. I think it might be the coolant temp sensor, since I've swapped out every other sensor I could think of. The weird twist is that I can't find the wire for the temp sensor anywhere, and I don't think it was ever hooked up before I started the head gasket job. I've spliced new wires into the harness for the temp sensor, but the motor still dies after about 2 seconds of running. So now I'm thinking the temp sensor itself might be bad. I'll swap that out tomorrow, but I'm curious why you mentioned the temp sensor, since that's what I'm thinking my V90 is experiencing also. It's OBD2, and the only codes are for mis-fires, nothing for temp sensor. It looks like somebody intentionally removed the temp sensor wire from the harness. There's some non-factory electrical tape along the harness in the area, so some re-wiring has been done to it.