Volvo 940 Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 940 Puzzle

Dear Volvo experts,

Greetings!

My car is a 1994/5 Automatic Volvo 940 Wagon.

I've taken it to 3 mechanics. Here's what they said:
- The alternator is charging well
- Starter is OK
- They found a cable that was not fully in its socket, but that did not seem to help the startup problems
- The spark plugs have been changed
- I had a belt go out on me, and the mechanic replaced the rubber alternator bushings which had been badly worn from engine vibration.

The problems:

The car will not start when cold.
It turns over easily, but quickly stalls out.
After about 5 minutes of using the starter, I can get it to start, but while I'm doing that I get some amazing unbalanced vibrations from the engine.

After I get the car started, I smell gasoline. I think the leak is in the engine compartment, because I'm pretty sure I don't smell it from the ventilation holes. I only notice it it I turn the window down during the first 5-10 minutes while I'm driving it.

She's happy driving along, but not idling. It feels close to stalling when idling (usually around 600 rpms)

After I've run the engine for 5 or 10 minutes, the car will start right away, unless it has been left somewhere cold for a few hours.

If I leave the battery attached, it will drain overnight.

Recently, when I start the car, there is a squealing noise that persists whenever the car is in first gear, and only goes away after the car has been driving for perhaps more than 1/2 hour.

Where can I get a good manual for this car?

Also, is there an diagnostic-computer that will connect to this car?

Thank you!

Last edited by insulanus; 05-06-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, where to start...

1. Engine running crappy and vibrating; esp when cold. You mentioned new plugs but what about a full tune up (aka stage 0)? I.e. rotor, cap, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc. You didn't mention the mileage; could have an injector crapping out. The IAC valve could need cleaning, causing idle issue. Also broken motor mounts will accentuate vibration...
  2. Charging System: If the alt is charging but your batt is going dead overnight then you have a serious current draw on the batt; need to figure where it's coming from; if you're not comfortable diagnosing auto charging systems, then take it somewhere (indy shop) that specializes in that area. BTW; is the charging light working?
  3. Diag computer: this car should be OBD-I; is your CEL on? Google for a thread on how to read out the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC).