where could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where could it be?

Greetings,
I recently bought an 1989 volvo 240 wagon.The problem is I cannot find the fuel filter.It is supposed to be center upper fire wall.It is not.Could it be elsewhere?Obviously,I bought this car used and it has over 300k miles on it,so I am not sure about its service record.It runs great except when the fuel gets low or when it is freshly filled up,then it runs as if it has the hiccupsI have been running a couple of ounces,per tank, of acetone in it and that helps a lot.I am wondering;could someone have bypassed the fuel filter?Also,I have been wondering about trash in the fuel tank,but would like to replace filter first.Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Default RE: where could it be?

There is a fuel filter next to the fuel pump wich is located on the driver's side, under the rear seat on the outside of the car. There is a little metal bracket that holds the pump and filter. It could also be that the fuel pump is starting to go out, or was replaced by an inferior after market replacement. If you have the means to do so, it would be a good idea to pressure test the pump. It should read 80 psi or higher and say Bosch on it (I have tried almost all after market pumps and none works as good or has the required pressure as Bosch).

Old 12-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the reply chris1kenobi.I was starting to think there was no filter.I will crawl under todayAs for the fuel pump,that crossed my mind,but I figured that I would start cheap(filter) and work my way up to expensive(pump).I had heard that a lot of aftermarket volvo parts do not work well on volvos.Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:29 AM

could be a bad mass air flow. also try adjusting your idle. peace

Old 12-31-2005, 07:36 AM

Hey there,Thanks for the replies.I was going to attempt the filter change when I realized that I had not received the copper washers that go with the filter.So,I am now waiting on a new filter w/washers.Some one also told me that replacing the 'fire trap' might also remedy bad idling.I realize that quite a few things should be replaced,just for preventative maintenance and the fact that I dont know what has been changed when.I have all new bosch wires,rotor,rotor cap,and plugs.Oil and filter are changed every 3k miles.Along with the filter washers,I ordered a new air filter and fire trap kit.Anything else you guys recommend before I start getting hit with the expensive stuff?
Thanks again from New Hampshire

live free or die

Old 01-02-2006, 02:50 PM

Flame trap is a good idea to replace. $2 will definatly give you peace of mind, should not effect idle. Look for cracked or disconnected vaccum lines. The first thing I do when I get a "new" Volvo is steam clean the entire engine and underside of the car. Not crappy car wash, real steam heat, you may be able to rent one or see if a local repair shop will let you use theirs. It makes it much easier to track down leaks, cracked, bent or missing parts etc. The next thing I do is remove all of the fuses and clean the fuse panel connectors with steel wool and replace any questionable fuses with the correct amp rating. Next make a list of all the broken, missing, or non working things on the car and head down to the local junkyard. If it ain't broke don't fix it, if you can get original Volvo parts from the junkyard, Ebay or other means, by all do so before heading down to Checker for some major dissapointment. Check the fluids and brake pads, change the oil and relax, because you are in no hurry in a non-turbo Volvo.

http://www.ipdusa.com/images/Categor...raw%20copy.gif

Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean idle air control. your symptoms are of a failed in tank pre pump. be very careful when removing from tank if you break off wires it costs another $105 in tank pre pump is $35