96 volvo 960 probs after flame trap clog

Old 10-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 volvo 960 probs after flame trap clog

Hi all. So glad I found this place. I've had my volvo for a few months now. Thought I found an awesome deal. However, EVERYTHING seems to need replacing and maintenance. My oil started mysteriously leaking and no one could figure from where. Long story short...found a clogged flame trap to be (hopefully) the main cause. Maybe too late tho. These are my symptoms: oil leaking from oil cap, dipstick, and around valves, check engine light has been on but not throwing code, winter mode stuck on, does not go off with shifting repeatedly thru gears while key is "on". i was able to reset it by removing the neg batt cable--but it came back and will not reset again. Coolant was leaking heavily but replaced the o-ring in the cap n it slowed but still have to add 1-2 qrts/week. Found flame trap and took it out and cleaned the bushing and nipple and put them minus trap back on. Scared to keep driving and wind up ruining cam and rear main seals or burning up my trani. Paying arm n leg to volvo is not an option. What is my next step? Planning on running oil treatment n cleaner thru in the next day or so and then changing the oil n adding some stop leak. Good plan?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum Beccap

Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced the severe oil leak problem a while back. The oil cap leak can be easily cured by replacing the gasket in the cap. Worked for me. I had a severe oil leak at the main seal ( rear ) and front seal at camshafts. I was ready to give up but picked up a bottle of ATP oil seal fixer. Magic in a can. I went from leaking huge puddles to dry as a bone in 5 miles of driving. 2 years late and hasn'tleaked since. It seems that a combination of not driving for a long period (dried up seals) and a clogged trap filter. The clogged trap causes a buildup of crankcase pressure and the seals are the weakest point of release. I would suggest that mess can be cured for less than $20.00.

Now to the coolant leak. Check the heater hose connections at the firewall. There is a valve that will crumble with time. I had this and was leaking coolant for years until one day all water burst loose. I never sourced the leak until the fatal day. The valve is on the upper/mid firewall driver's side. Replacement part is readily available and cheap. I use Voluparts in Georgia if you are stateside. Nice guys. Ask for Bill. They part out Volvos and sell new and used parts. They will even walk you through repairs with advice. They know Volvos. They do internet and phone sales.

The tranny I will have to think about for awhile. Can you shift it into park?

Don't give up yet. Your problems and symptoms are exactly what I had with my 96 960 Wagon.