Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1993 850 GLT Hazards/ Directionals not working

Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 850 GLT Hazards/ Directionals not working

Hello to all and thank's to all that can help,
I have limited knowledge of electrical systems, but I suspect this is a relatively simple fix. (fingers crossed)
My Volvo, named Victoria for having survived her abusive former owner, has me stumped with this:
The hazards and directionals have not worked since the day I drove her home.
They do not work with or without running lights on.
Also, reverse lights do not work.
Horn works, brake lights work, all other exterior and interior lights work.
The hazards DID work when we intentionally set off anti-theft alarm. They flashed, and horn alarms tooted.
We have since removed this after market, unproffesionally installed alarm, with no change in problem.
The "Bulb failure warning sensor, trailer" warning light at the instrument panel, stays steady on when directional arm is engaged.
All bulbs in question are new and working.
This appearant wiring problem is difficult to track when you know very little of that expertise. My brother and I have sweated, sweared and given blood to the bettering of this car. I have even broken my thumb, not fun. Many new parts, cleaning of existing parts, and maintenance care, but this has us stumped. I'm getting balder.
ANY words of advice, that may lead to a cure, WILL be read and applied with zeal.
Most sincerely, Mark

Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1993 850 GLT Hazards/ Directionals not working

I'm not sure if this will help but I recently bought a '95 sedan that needed a little work, When I got it home and started checking things out I realized that the turn signals, headlights and power mirrors did not work, then they did, then they didn't. Everything else- power seats, windows, moonroof, AC, etc always worked all of the time. Finally I realized the ignition switch must be going bad because in the on position with engine running if you wiggle the key around or turn it slightly counter clockwise but not so far as to shut the engine off, the unworking items, miraculously spring to life. Hope this helps.