Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 850R keyless help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 850R keyless help

Hi,

I purchased this 850R in about 2000 - for whatever reason I did not get the keyless remotes with the car. This car has the alarm I think because when the doors are locked it blinks on the dash. I remember about a month after I purchased the car I went back to the dealer and asked about the key fobs or remotes.

I was told that in my area (madison WI) you needed a different module due to RF interference in our area. I took way they were sayings as truth. They indicated it could be fixed for something like 300 with a different unit... I should have negotiated this BEFORE I purchased the car.

Fast forward to today - I am beginning to drive the car more and would really lke the keyless to work.

How can I figure out what I have and what I need? I searched and found some programming threads but nothing specific to what this.

Thanks in advance to any/all help.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM

I'm not clear on the technical aspects, but here is my experience.

There are two different types of remotes:

Type 1 and Type 2.

I have a 1996 850R. I have a Type 1 remote. From what I understand, a type 2 would not have worked for me. When I bought the car, the previous owner had one remote, but the unlock button was...messed up. I think that he tried to replace it with caulk or something. After cleaning it out, I replaced it with a piece of eraser (zebra striped, from my daughter).

The short answer, from me, is I don't know which remote will be right for you, but once you have the right type of remote, programming it is easy.

And the dealer, they were just trying to squeeze you for $300. That jazz about needing a new unit because of the "interference" in Madison, that's ridiculous.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I took the glove box out and took a picture of what I have. I appears someone has pulled out the module...

Name:  keyless.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  57.0 KB

So I guess I need a new module and and some keyless remotes. At lease I can get he FCC Ids to match. If anyone has one or a set for sale let me know.

How does the unit mount in there?

I am assuming no - but does one of the FCC ID units work better than the other?

Thanks for the help?

Last edited by emerlin; 01-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 AM

Actually there is a 3rd remote type for the Guard I alarm (has an triangular panel on the A-pilar).

The R will most likely have the Guard II alarm system whis HAS the remote keyles receiver integrated in the alarm relay located under the dash. It's a black one with a green 5 pin connector on top.

The receiver near the glove box is only needed for the Type 2 remote from the previous post. This however will not activate the alarm nor will you get the flashers to work when locking unlocking the car.

Word of advice when purchasing remotes:
the remotes were market specific (FCC regulations and so on) so you will need a remote which coresponds to the market the car was delivered otherwise it will not work.

Here i wrote a summary on the different remote controls of the 850s and how to programm them (it's in German written but with google translate I think it's understandable )
Google Übersetzer

Cristian

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

AH - thank you so much!

So I need the longer skinny remote with stacked buttons like the one in the picture? I was unclear what you meant by type II remote. If that is not the correct remote - which one is?

I am unclear on the different frequency requirements. It looks like they US only had one frequency for the Guard II - is this correct?

I see these remotes on eprey, but see no mention of the frequency codes. Thanks for the link - I will look through it carefully.

Thanks - if anyone can fill in the blanks that would be great!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 AM

To be more clear:
There are 3 types of OEM remotes for the 850:
- "normal" with 2 buttons aside for LOCK & UNLOCK. The receiver for this type of remote is located near the glovebox
- Guard I remote: very weird looking with one button normally for LOCK/UNLOCK. There are some with 2 buttons where the second can be used to trigger the parking heater. The receiver for this remote is located in the relay which lies under the dash position 210 211. Also the Guard I system always had a status panel mounted on the A pillar on the drivers side.
- Guard II remote and "normal" for MJ97. This remote has 2 buttons a bigger one on top for LOCK/UNLOCK and a smaller one underneath for the PANIC function. The receiver is also located underneath the dash position 210 211. MJ97 cars have the same remote and also the receiver in the same position however without alarm capability. These relays are pink whereas the Guard II are black. Both have the 5 pin green connector on top for additional sensors (tilt, glassbreak, ultrasound) however these work only with the Guard II relay.

Guard I & II trigger the flashes when the alarm is armed / disarmed. Also the LED on the dashboard blinks when the alarm is active. Locking the car with the keys will not arm the Guard I & II alarm systems only the standard alarm. When the car was locked by remote and the alarm is active, opening the car with the keys will trigger the alarm.

All remotes were market specific meaning that they work on different frequencies. You always need the corresponding remote to the receiver in the car. It is not possible to mix them. For example your US Guard II Relay will not work with a remote from Germany and viceversa. This is why you only should search for remotes in the US (assuming you are located in the states).
I for example have retroffited the Guard II system with all adiacent sensors in my 850 and have used an UK relay & remotes.

Hope I did clarify a bit

Cristian

Attached Thumbnails 1996 850R keyless help-normal.jpg   1996 850R keyless help-guard-1.jpg   1996 850R keyless help-guard-2.jpg   1996 850R keyless help-guard-1-panel.jpg   1996 850R keyless help-guard-2-relay.jpg  

Last edited by scutyde; 01-07-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM

Thanks Cristian - that is a big help. I almost have this figured out.

I ordered a Guard II remote for my US car and hope i can get it programmed.

Today, when I lock the doors with the key the flashers go off and the LED on the dash blinks. Does this mean the alarm is on? You mention above that the locking it with the key will not arm Guard I & II only the standard alarm.... So maybe I do not have a guard II? I need to look at the relays to confirm, but just assumed it was a II.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM

The first Guard II modules had a different relay which could be activate by the locking system. It had a suplemental pin on the underside.
Try the following:
- lower the window on the driver door
- lock the car with the key and wait 10seconds
- open the door using the inner handle

If the alarm is triggered then you have these rare relays inside.

Theoretically you could have the standard alarm relay which is activated by the key barrel, however afaik they do not trigger the flashes...Could also be that the US models are differnt from the european ones. You will know for sure when you look under the dash at the relay 210 211 .

Last edited by scutyde; 01-07-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks - I will report back after I try that .

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are two versions of this remote too. Oval buttons and rectangular buttons.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I pulled my glove box to get the FCC ID and matched it up with four button transmitters. Only the lock and unlock work but I was happy with the price for the convenience as mine also didn't come with them when I bought it. The pair ran about 35 on ebay.
Just wanted people to know the system will work with a four button if you find them cheaper, you aren't limited to a "Volvo" two button as long as you match up the FCC code.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 850R keyless help-keyless-entry_alarm_module.jpg   1996 850R keyless help-keyless-transmitters.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-07-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by scutyde
The first Guard II modules had a different relay which could be activate by the locking system. It had a suplemental pin on the underside.
Try the following:
- lower the window on the driver door
- lock the car with the key and wait 10seconds
- open the door using the inner handle

If the alarm is triggered then you have these rare relays inside.

Theoretically you could have the standard alarm relay which is activated by the key barrel, however afaik they do not trigger the flashes...Could also be that the US models are differnt from the european ones. You will know for sure when you look under the dash at the relay 210 211 .
So - Yes. I followed your procedures and the alarm went off. Horn honked and I think the lights flashed. I had to use the key and unlock the doors to turn it off.

And again, when I lock the car with key: 1) the doors lock 2) the flashers give me a longish flash and 2 the LED center of dash begins blinking.

This is the remote I purchased:
Name:  VolvoKeylessRemoteEntryClicker9442982KeyfobFobTransmitterControllerBobeBay.png
Views: 1756
Size:  145.6 KB

I hope it is the right one - 50/50 odds? :-)

Thanks again for all the help. I will report back when I get the key remote.

Last edited by emerlin; 01-10-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, glad yours is working now.

Can you recommend a reputable seller on ebay? I need some new ones for the S70.

I type in "volvo 1998 S70 keyless remote fob" and get all these guys:
volvo 1998 S70 keyless remote fob | eBay

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
OP, glad yours is working now.

Can you recommend a reputable seller on ebay? I need some new ones for the S70.

I type in "volvo 1998 S70 keyless remote fob" and get all these guys:
volvo 1998 S70 keyless remote fob | eBay
The x70 fobs can only be programmed by the dealer.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 PM

SUCCESS!

I got the remote to day - followed the programming procedures and life is good.

Thanks to all who responded and helped.