Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

5 spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 spd swap

So I have been seriously contemplating on a 5spd swap but I have no idea where to start... Should I buy a doner car, or scoure ebay? I don't know where to start... I know I need a tranny, and the pedal assembly and what not.. someone nudge me in the right path?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM

u pull it yards are your friend if you want to pull just the items necessary I know there are 2-3 5 speed 850s in my local yard and everything is cheap.

Best option IMHO would be to buy a donor car from the junkyard or elsewhere, pull parts necessary, then part the rest of the car out to fund the swap

Copied and pasted from Yahoo answers (relates to a mitsubishi, but the general premise still applies for a swap)

"You need this stuff

1. A Manual Transmission computer
2. A Manual Transmission(with either a hydraulic clutch,or cable clutch)(and quite possibly a Master cylinder,but you'll need to figure that out)
3. The interior pieces that will replace your interior pieces with the manual transmission interior pieces.
4. Tools if you don't have them.
5. A shift **** for your interior. "

Last edited by 97-850Wagen; 08-20-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

The answer is yes to all the above. You need to start searching. You will find that sourcing one is a bit harder than you think so keep your eyes out.

Trans
flywheel w/bolts
pressure plate & Disc w/bolts
Trans seals
Master
Slave
Line
Shift cables
shift assembly
shift boot
pedals
Electrical work
ECU trans delete
TCU removal
Backup lights
speed sensor
Cruize control.

and a whole lot of labor.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it really that hard to just open up a search engine (Google, Ask, Bing ...) and type in something along the lines of "Volvo 850 manual transmission swap".

I don't mind being helpful but you don't seem to have done even the slightest information search. Everything right down to the "what not" is already covered, photoed, documented and discussed in triplicate.
On this site, Volvospeed and Matthewsvolvosite there are complete build threads with photos showing how that person did it, tools, tricks and parts lists. There are tons of articles on it and many many discussions on which manual is better (stronger).

Buy a transmission on ebay or craigslist if it's all you need. Might even be cheaper to get a "parts car" for the other things you might be able to use off of it, depends on your situation and if you have a place to park a parts car while you strip it. Not really feasible for most apartment dwellers.

I'm nudging you in the right direction, search, read and then jump in with questions about the procedure once you've read up on it and can better understand any answer someone might give you.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Is it really that hard to just open up a search engine (Google, Ask, Bing ...) and type in something along the lines of "Volvo 850 manual transmission swap".

I don't mind being helpful but you don't seem to have done even the slightest information search. Everything right down to the "what not" is already covered, photoed, documented and discussed in triplicate.
On this site, Volvospeed and Matthewsvolvosite there are complete build threads with photos showing how that person did it, tools, tricks and parts lists. There are tons of articles on it and many many discussions on which manual is better (stronger).

Buy a transmission on ebay or craigslist if it's all you need. Might even be cheaper to get a "parts car" for the other things you might be able to use off of it, depends on your situation and if you have a place to park a parts car while you strip it. Not really feasible for most apartment dwellers.

I'm nudging you in the right direction, search, read and then jump in with questions about the procedure once you've read up on it and can better understand any answer someone might give you.

I know I could but if I ask YOU guys, I get the exact knowledge of what I want and I got it =] much easier

Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbiljah
I know I could but if I ask YOU guys, I get the exact knowledge of what I want and I got it =] much easier
But this way you dont learn. I would think if you want it bad enough and you really cared that you would be searching everywhere. You have the basics now start thinking it through. If you have SPECIFIC questions we will answer you but you need to dig now.

...you have officially been pushed out of the nest. Time to fly.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I guess now you have to.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Haha FINE I'll research lol

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you don't, you'll end up with 2 parts cars. Lol

Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
If you don't, you'll end up with 2 parts cars. Lol
LOL, that's comforting haha

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM

So I'll be happy to inform you guys that I RESEARCHED how to flush my tranny and I didn't even have to bug you guys HAHAHA

Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Good man

Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

You've mellowed... I like that