Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Fuel Leak at Fuel Pump Wires - IDEAS APPRECIATED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Fuel Leak at Fuel Pump Wires - IDEAS APPRECIATED!

Thanks for reading...

My '96 850 sedan recently needed a new fuel pump, did it myself, now that is fixed.

Since then, after fill up, the top of the fuel pump assembly where it goes into the fuel tank has begun seeping / leaking fuel, but only after a fill up. If I do not fill up, i.e only go to 17 gallons of fuel instead of the full 18, then no leak.

More info: at first I thought i may not have resealed the fuel pump assembly to tank which is secured by a large nut (about the size of a large peanut butter jar lid). I bought a new gasket and carefully resealed the assembly. Leak persisted.

So then I filled up the tank (topped it off, really) and let the vehicle warm up in the sun. Doing so, I then observed the top of the fuel pump assembly and notice the puddle the forms on the top of the assembly coming from the wires that pass through the assembly and into the tank where the fuel pump is immersed. Ah ha! Full tank, hot day, puddle on top of fuel pump assembly... now I know what is leaking.

But how to fix it? The original junction where the wires pass through the assembly to go from exterior of tank to interior of tank is a soft waxy type of substance. I can't find this stuff as a replacement part, so I'm wondering how to repair with ordinary type of glues or filler.

I'm thinking:
Option 1: Dig out as much of the "wax" as I can and back fill with silicon (RTV).
Option 2: Dig out as much of the "was" as I can and use gas tank repair glue (the fuel pump assembly where these wires pass through is plastic).
Option 3: Some other type of glue?
Option 4: figure out how to get the original "stuff" or "wax" and go about fixing it.

This is a safety issue, and I'd like to be able to top off the tank and not have a leak.

Suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading - Jeff

Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't done it but the only thing that comes to mind would be a two part epoxy style gas take repair compound. It would be available at any auto parts store.