Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 T5R

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 850 T5R

I have those wipers on both my cars. I don't like them. I think I read where there is a kit where you can remove them and cover up the holes, but I'm not sure. The car does not show well at all, and that's going to make it hard to sell. With the headliner coming off like that, people will want to stay away from it. They need to do quite a bit of work to get top dollar for that car. I think you went a little high at $6,000 and don't think I would let them deal with you and get you to go up further in price. There's probably not many people there that know how rare this car is, so you have an advantage there. All the things you are seeing on this car probably would not top me from buying it, especially if you are the type to do work on it yourself.

I don't think I have ever used Tracs. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up. I have used winter mode though in the snow. If the light goes on and off when you flip the switch that's fine. The antenna is no big deal, happens all the time on these cars. A little grease may get it working, if not a new atenna mast is fairly inexpesive. The pushing the button to go from P to R is also very common. There's a little switch you need to replace in the console. I have done that myself. Seeing what to do is the hard part, doing it is easy. The faded paint would probably bother me more than anything.

Those wheels did not come on that car. She may have bought it with those wheels, but it came from the factory with Titans and Titans are awesome wheels. That knocks the value of the car down at least $1,000 if not more. The Titans are part of what made that car a T5R. I would tell her or him whoever you talk to that this car needs probably $2,000 worth of repairs which is not an exageration if you were paying to have all the work done. It probably has never had the timing belt changed either and that needs to be done. They should be changed every six years or 70K miles.

I would not go up any, and if possible try to go a little lower, but don't lose a car you really like over a couple hundred dollars. If you get a prepurchase inspection at a dealer, they will tell you how much it will cost to repair everything wrong and that gives you power to get the price down.

Those are just some of my thoughts. What do others think? Help this guy out.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I have those wipers on both my cars. I don't like them. I think I read where there is a kit where you can remove them and cover up the holes, but I'm not sure. The car does not show well at all, and that's going to make it hard to sell. With the headliner coming off like that, people will want to stay away from it. They need to do quite a bit of work to get top dollar for that car. I think you went a little high at $6,000 and don't think I would let them deal with you and get you to go up further in price. There's probably not many people there that know how rare this car is, so you have an advantage there. All the things you are seeing on this car probably would not top me from buying it, especially if you are the type to do work on it yourself.

I don't think I have ever used Tracs. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up. I have used winter mode though in the snow. If the light goes on and off when you flip the switch that's fine. The antenna is no big deal, happens all the time on these cars. A little grease may get it working, if not a new atenna mast is fairly inexpesive. The pushing the button to go from P to R is also very common. There's a little switch you need to replace in the console. I have done that myself. Seeing what to do is the hard part, doing it is easy. The faded paint would probably bother me more than anything.

Those wheels did not come on that car. She may have bought it with those wheels, but it came from the factory with Titans and Titans are awesome wheels. That knocks the value of the car down at least $1,000 if not more. The Titans are part of what made that car a T5R. I would tell her or him whoever you talk to that this car needs probably $2,000 worth of repairs which is not an exageration if you were paying to have all the work done. It probably has never had the timing belt changed either and that needs to be done. They should be changed every six years or 70K miles.

I would not go up any, and if possible try to go a little lower, but don't lose a car you really like over a couple hundred dollars. If you get a prepurchase inspection at a dealer, they will tell you how much it will cost to repair everything wrong and that gives you power to get the price down.

Those are just some of my thoughts. What do others think? Help this guy out.

I agree 100%

Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, I will tell the lady to lend me the car to take it to a pre-purchase inspection to see whats wrong, and when they give me the total of repairs i will take the proof to the lady and tell her that she needs to lower the price, and i will also tell her about the $$ i would need to spend. But I dont know, i mean the roof is only $120 to repair and with all the info you are giving me im really hesitant about buying it now

.....That lady is crazy as $#^%#, she called me and she said that her husband is still thinking and that 6k seems to low for that car, i told her that that car needs 2k in repairs and that for an 11 year old car you wont get more, she said she will call me later. crazy #$%#

What should i do? should i tell her no, unless she is willing to drop the price down? Because she is beign a real $$%%

Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM

In addition to the pre-purchase inspection, consider having an engine compression test done, too.

The odometer may have been broken at some point in its life...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=6731
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=7643

As long as you have the DTC boxes up under the hood ('93-'95).

1. Switch ignition on

2. Connect the fly wire to socket - A7

3. Push button 5 times

4. When LED comes on and stays on, enter code 1-1-1 as follows:
- press the button once when LED is still on
- wait for LED to go out and come on again
- wait for LED to go out and come on again
- read off response, which will be the last three digits of the odometer miles

5. Repeat steps #3-4, but enter code 1-1-2 (that is, press the button twice on the last step); read off the response, which will be the first three digits of the odometer miles. If you have less than 100,000 miles, the first digit will read as 10 blinks.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM

They will do this at the volvo, but i dont know if i should purchase it or not? The lady is very hesitant about selling it :S and she says 6k is not enough that she will call me later today if her husband says its ok

Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tupapison

.....That lady is crazy as $#^%#, she called me and she said that her husband is still thinking and that 6k seems to low for that car, i told her that that car needs 2k in repairs and that for an 11 year old car you wont get more, she said she will call me later. crazy #$%#
Sometimes in life, you have to be willing to let something go (risk losing it), in order to get it.

Is she and her husband the original owners of the car? If so, they may still believe that the car is still worth the $35K that they paid for it new on the showroom floor.

$6,000 is a very generous offer. You made your offer. I would not call her. If you call her, she will think that you are too eager and try to raise the selling price of the car. I would wait for her to call you. If she doesn't call within a couple of days, it is her loss. She had a buyer who appreciated the car and a buyer who was willing to pay what the car is worth. Again, her loss -- not yours.

Most people in the United States have no idea what a 850-T5R is. I didn't know that they even existed. If JimKW had not contacted me, I would have bought a 1996 white/tan 850-T5 for the same price that I paid for my 1997 white/tan 850-R. I doubt that normal regular car buyers in Panama care whether the car is a 850-GLT or a 850-T5R.

Most people don't like the color Yellow. There is a reason why most of the 850-T5R and 850-R(s) sold are Black and Red. Most people like Black and Red. Only the Volvo enthusiasts -- people like us -- prefer the very rare yellow color.

Bottom line...

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because most people shopping for a Volvo do not care about performance -- these people do not care about turbo and HD suspension.

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because most people do NOT like yellow.

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because it was NOT garaged -- the paint is faded and chipped.

If you can wait 4-6 weeks, she will call you back. At that time, you will be able to purchase the car for $4,500 - $5,000.

Meanwhile, start shopping for 1998 S70 T5 and 1995-1997 Volvo T5.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: robert213

Sometimes in life, you have to be willing to let something go (risk losing it), in order to get it.

Is she and her husband the original owners of the car? If so, they may still believe that the car is still worth the $35K that they paid for it new on the showroom floor.

$6,000 is a very generous offer. You made your offer. I would not call her. If you call her, she will think that you are too eager and try to raise the selling price of the car. I would wait for her to call you. If she doesn't call within a couple of days, it is her loss. She had a buyer who appreciated the car and a buyer who was willing to pay what the car is worth. Again, her loss -- not yours.

Most people in the United States have no idea what a 850-T5R is. I didn't know that they even existed. If JimKW had not contacted me, I would have bought a 1996 white/tan 850-T5 for the same price that I paid for my 1997 white/tan 850-R. I doubt that normal regular car buyers in Panama care whether the car is a 850-GLT or a 850-T5R.

Most people don't like the color Yellow. There is a reason why most of the 850-T5R and 850-R(s) sold are Black and Red. Most people like Black and Red. Only the Volvo enthusiasts -- people like us -- prefer the very rare yellow color.

Bottom line...

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because most people shopping for a Volvo do not care about performance -- these people do not care about turbo and HD suspension.

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because most people do NOT like yellow.

This lady will have a difficult time selling her car, because it was NOT garaged -- the paint is faded and chipped.

If you can wait 4-6 weeks, she will call you back. At that time, you will be able to purchase the car for $4,500 - $5,000.

Meanwhile, start shopping for 1998 S70 T5 and 1995-1997 Volvo T5.

I will do that, and i mean i loved that yellow color, but :'(....There's nothing i can do now since the lady is refusing to accept the 6k offer, and also that car was worth $70,000 here in Panama(due to taxes), she showed me the price tag...But still, i guess i wont be getting that car and ill wait for the S70 T5 or something like that. im sad

People here in Panama do not know what a Volvo is, and they dont want volvo's because parts are "expensive" they prefer to buy a 1978 nissan or toyota instead of a volvo

Old 06-16-2006, 03:44 PM

Kelly Book private seller/private buyer Price

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.s...&&usedCars;slp
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...;ucp;&12;VO;CA
Fair
$5,750
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

I used zip code 46256 and 30,000 mileage for 1995 Volvo 850 T5R. I am not familiar with cost-of-living expenses in Panama. This car sold $35,000 new at the dealership here in the U.S. That $70,000 figure seems too high. But, I am not familiar with taxes, tariffs, fees, and shipping costs in Panama.

Stop by your local Volvo dealership and compare prices between Panama and U.S. A brand-new 2006 Volvo S60-T5 sells between $36,000 and $39,000 here in the U.S. A brand-new Volvo 2006 S60-R sells between $39,000 and $45,000 -- with All-Wheel-Drive $45,000.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I had this real long reply that got lost when my boss came by and I had to act like I was working. Oh well.

The KBB price for that car in Fair Condition is $5,750 and Good Condition is $6,400. That means you made a perfect offer at $6,000 because it's definitely somewhere between good and fair, and that's assuming the mileage is correct at 27K. They think the car is worth more, tell them they are correct, if they put $2,000 into it and make it in Excellent conditon it will be worth $6,9000. Most people won't spend $2,000 to get back $900.

Listen to what Robert said, you have to be willing to lose a car to get the best deal. When I was buying my 2nd Volvo (89 760 Turbo Intercooler) I didn't get a good deal until I was leaving the dealer and already got in my car when they came and brought me back in.

Like Robert and I have said they will have trouble selling this car in the condition it is in right now. Had they taken care of the car like they should have it would be worth some money, but they neglected the car and now it will cost them.

Do not do the pre-purchase inspection unless you agree on a price, because you will be paying for it. Most places charge $130 if doing the compression test and around $60 if not doing one. I would have the mechanic do the $60 inspection and see what he finds before spending more money. If you are still very serious about the car after that, then you can get the more expensive inspeciton. You would only pay the difference of approximately $70.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:50 PM

Yeah, so the 6k i offered is "acceptable", what im going to do is take the car to the volvo, they tell me whats wrong, i show the lady the proof, and maybe she gives me a discount. If she doesnt then ill look for an S70 T5, althou i really wanted the 850 T5R, but you know what, you cant have it all :S

Old 06-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Read my post right before yours. I would not pay for an inspection unless you have some agreement on price. If they want $8,000 why waste your money?

I know it's hard to not come across and being too anxious, but if you keep calling them you are giving them bargaining power because they know how much you want the car.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:18 PM

My dad is like 54 years old, and i think its because of that
Enjoy the time that you get to spend together with your Dad. Don't let the little problems interfere with the enjoyment of shopping for a car together with your Dad.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Read my post right before yours. I would not pay for an inspection unless you have some agreement on price. If they want $8,000 why waste your money?

I know it's hard to not come across and being too anxious, but if you keep calling them you are giving them bargaining power because they know how much you want the car.
Yeah, i mean i WOULD never offer that lady 8k, if she calls me and tells me no thanks for the 6k then ill thell her goodbye, and i mean come on, i can find a 98 S70 T5 or an R for 6k, so if she tells me no, it would be sad, very sad because i wanted the car, but there's nothing i can do

Old 06-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely. Shortly before my Dad died I bought a 1980 Porsche 911SC not far from my parents house. My son and I drove up in the 94 850 Turbo and the three of us went to pick up the Porsche. We were driving back, Pap and me in the Porsche and Justin driving the Volvo. Very memorable.

Especially when we hit this real straight stretch of brand new road with no other cars on the road. Let's just say what's in our blood came from Pap.

I pulled the Porsche down into 4th, in hindsight I should have gone to 3rd, and Justin was right along side of me. I shifted back up to 5th and he was still right beside me. We went just over 100 mph side by side. I thought he was just messing with me and he thought I was just messing with him and we were both doing all we could do and the cars were neck and neck. All Pap could say was "Oh boy". He had already been made to quit driving because of very poor eyesight.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Absolutely. Shortly before my Dad died I bought a 1980 Porsche 911SC not far from my parents house. My son and I drove up in the 94 850 Turbo and the three of us went to pick up the Porsche. We were driving back, Pap and me in the Porsche and Justin driving the Volvo. Very memorable.

Especially when we hit this real straight stretch of brand new road with no other cars on the road. Let's just say what's in our blood came from Pap.

I pulled the Porsche down into 4th, in hindsight I should have gone to 3rd, and Justin was right along side of me. I shifted back up to 5th and he was still right beside me. We went just over 100 mph side by side. I thought he was just messing with me and he thought I was just messing with him and we were both doing all we could do and the cars were neck and neck. All Pap could say was "Oh boy". He had already been made to quit driving because of very poor eyesight.
I wish I could have had time like that with my Dad. He was more into his New family and Passed 2 Years ago.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:59 PM

.....That lady is crazy as monkey, she called me and she said that her husband is still thinking and that 6k seems to low for that car, i told her that that car needs 2k(more like 400) in repairs and that for an 11 year old car you wont get more, she said she will call me later. crazy

If she lowers the price after i show her the things i need to fix, i will buy the car most definitely, because i love the car, and i shouldnt let some stupid things like these things stop me from buyign a kickass car

Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Keep her calling you instead of you calling her. Now you need to find another car that you like quite a bit. Then you will have leverage by telling it's $6,000 right now or you are buying this other car. It never seems to work when your bluffing (don't really have another car) but if you're serious that will either get the deal done or she loses a sure sail.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Keep her calling you instead of you calling her. Now you need to find another car that you like quite a bit. Then you will have leverage by telling it's $6,000 right now or you are buying this other car. It never seems to work when your bluffing (don't really have another car) but if you're serious that will either get the deal done or she loses a sure sail.

Yeah thats a good idea, also i have decided to get this car no matter what....I wont call her, she needs to do that, and my friend and I have planned something, i know its cheap to do this but, i told him to call the lady and offer her 4,900 for the car(since the lady thinks the car is only a turbo) so she can see my offer rules, and i told my friend to ask her several questions and we'll see if that works

The only thing the lady knows is that they only made 5k of these cars and this is the ONLY one in Panama. This is the car for me, i love it, its HOT

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL i have some NEWS!! I asked my mom if she knew the lady, and she told me yes!!!! that she sold her the house she lives in right now, well that was over 15 years ago, but still, good news, i REALLY want this car, but i dont know what to do, im trying VERY VERY hard not to call this lady, because she hasnt called me, should i wait until monday and if she doesnt call me then i should call her on monday?

Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what to tell you, because I relate to how you are feeling. When I find a car I want I get anxious just like you are. The difference here is that there is very little chance that somebody is going to buy that car out from under you so you can be patient. I would hate to give you advise that would somehow cause you to lose that car, but I don't think you should call her, and you should wait for her to call you.

Is there some way you could get your Mom to call her? She could just tell the lady that you're her son and you are a good kid, you really like the car, but it's a little more than she wants you to spend. You know that kind of stuff. I don't see how that could hurt your chances, but I really don't know for sure.

I really don't like the idea of having a friend call and offer $4900. It's way better to just be up front and honest. You have offerred a fair and reasonable price for that car, and she needs to realize that. She and her husband have not yet said what they think the car is worth have they? That's what you really need to know, and are they serious about selling it?

Old 06-17-2006, 03:08 PM

I do think they are serious about selling it, and they think the car is worth like 19k, because 5 years ago she got offered 21k for the car, so she still thinks thats the price. And i mean, since its the ONLY T5R in Panama, if the lady says ok for 6k i will try to lower the price, but if she doesnt lower the price then i will buy it because like you said, i wont let a couple hundred $$ stop me from getting my car.

Quick Reply: 850 T5R