Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850GLT just noticed oil coming out of exhaust

Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850GLT just noticed oil coming out of exhaust

Have a 95 850 GLT. LOVE this forum by the way...you all have been so helpful!

We knew we had an oil leak, but have never found the source Oil had to be added before 4000 miles or the next oil change. Seemed to see oil residue on the "top" of the manifold and so my thought was there, but no one could confirm or deny.

Just came home and noticed oil residue above my rear exhaust on the fender up to the rear lights. Made sure by swiping my fiinger and it was BLACK!

How can I determine where the leak is coming from? Is it TWO places now? Love my car and hate to give it up...it has over 200 thousand miles it.

Any help would be MOST appreciated

THANKS EVERYONE....

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

When was the last time the PCV system was replaced? Adding oil between oil changes is really not bad. Less than 1 quart every 1,000 miles is not bad at all.

Last edited by rspi; 10-14-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Does PCV mean Pressure Control Valve?? Your talking to a gal who isn't an expert...but know enough to be dangerous

Let me know...but I'm sure the answer is no. We bought it from a private party 3 yrs ago... and we have had a tuneup, tires replaced, fixed the dash, replaced the radiator...stuff like that.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 PM

PCV is positive crankcase ventilation...

There is a box behind your intake manifold that allows the crankcase to vent back into the intake and recycle the gasses so to speak.
Name:  IMAG0012.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0010.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  103.9 KB
A clogged pcv will cause the oil on the top of your engine (under the "Volvo 20 valve" cover).
On the top of the valve cover there is a drain channel that will cause the oil to drip down the back of the motor.

The oil on the back of the car is caused by this.
Its not actually coming out of the exhaust but being blown along the bottom of the car when you are driving and the flow of the air causes the oil to cover the back of the car.

This is a common issue with the 850 and the 70 series.

The PCV kit runs about $100 but is a pain in the butt for most because you need to remove the intake manifold.

Ive done mine 4 times in the life of my car and the last time it only took me 2 hours.
Where are you located?
If its anywhere near Miami Id be glad to help

Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

The PCV system is probably the most neglected maintenance item that causes all kinds of oil leaks and the dreaded rear main seal on the motor to leak. The rms leak is the worse leak of all because the motor has to be raised or the transmission has to be lowered to fix the leak, a $1,500 repair. It's more pronounced in the turbo cars because putting the car in "turbo boost" causes the system to plug up faster. Volvo recommends the system be "checked" or serviced every 60,000 miles. The certified mechanics know how to properly test the system to see if it is in deed in need of replacement (they do some kind of vacuum test that some of these guys know how to do - I don't so I just replace them ). If the system cloggs up it causes pressure to build up inside the motor and the air tries to escape somewhere. While escaping it often blows oil out with it and sooner or later it will blow out a motor seal, usually the weakest one. I'm not sure but most cars do not have this system. My guess is less than 10% and old timers that drove the Chevy's and Fords have never had to deal with this.

I was driving my daughters S70 one day, which was leaking a little, and decided to put my foot in it at a light. Well, it blew out 2 cam seals that were weekend by a clogged PCV system, blew oil everywhere. I didin't know it at the time but I lost at least 2-1/2 quarts of oil in a 2 mile drive home. Had a trail of oil down my street and into my garage, which I noticed when I went to get the mail the next morning.

IMO (in my opinion) it's the most neglected maintenance item in these cars which cause problems, next to the timing belt which is not as neglected just more costly. Lets face it, a $1,500 repair, along with other things that likely need to be done on a 15 year old car will put 'er down.

I would suggest replacing the system every 100,000 miles or 10 years. Some people test them by doing the following: Drive the car around until it's warmed up. Park the car and with it still running, pull the oil dip stick out about 1/2 way. If you see smoke coming out of the oil dip stick tube, the PCV system is clogged and needs to be serviced. That test is about 85%, which means that 15% of the time the system can still be clogged and not smoke (as it was with the current car that I have). In my daughters car the system was so clogged that the oil dip stick would pop out (blow out) when ever someone put their foot in it (punched it to drive fast). We have opened the hood and seen the dip stick sticking out about 8". I think it had blow out so hard that it hit the underside of the closed hood.

BTW, 200,000 miles on these motors is just a little past broken in if the oil has been changed regularly. They're good for 500,000.

Last edited by rspi; 10-15-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification and explanation! I bet that is it. Have had that problem since I bought the car from the teenager

Now today, the car completely shut down...thankfully on our road about 2 houses away. Everything shut down..couldn't use hazard lights, etc. I have to look on this forum as I know it has been discussed before. The PCV could be part of the reason for this?

We live in Cedar Rapids, IA. A far cry (and colder) then Miami! But thanks so much for offering. Hubby is NOT mechanically inclined

Old 10-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Thank you so much for the writeup! Very helpful. Will try and look at it today and maybe do the test to see if that is the problem. As I told the other person, our car died...just completely shut down (thankfully on our road and only 2 houses away). We were going to tow it to our house and then it started back up. But very afraid of driving it anywhere if that were to happen say on the interstate or busy intersection.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM

The PCV will cause the motor to stall and stumble when it gets really bad.

I would get the PCV done ASAP, especially if its your daily driver. These motors treated right will last forever... I have 420,067 miles on my 96' 850

Here is the link for IPD's system ---> PCV Breather System Kit 1993-1997 850 Non-Turbo

Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Thank you, THANK YOU!!

Will look into this today, see how hard it's going to be and if any of our mechanic friends would like to help <G> now if we can figure out why the car just died while driving...we would be in heaven. I LOVE my Volvo. I want to buy another one. They will drive a long time if cared for properly and this forum has been great to see me through many situations that most would have just given up and traded them in!! Again, THANK YOU for everything!!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by tmixdorf
Thank you, THANK YOU!!

now if we can figure out why the car just died while driving..
It could have been the PCV.. pressure may have gotten too high

Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

For it to drop dead and not even let the flashers work sounds like a battery problem to me. Have the battery tested first. Then check the battery cables real good, to make sure one of them did not break or come loose some how. The motor running and the flashers working have nothing to do with each other. Also check fuses, relays, etc. Especially in the main box. AutoZone, Wal-Mart and places like that will check the battery for FREE.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM

+1 With RSPI.. I didnt notice you said the hazards wouldnt come on

Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Default Pcv

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
It could have been the PCV.. pressure may have gotten too high

Matty,please PM me,I need your help.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by patricka
Matty,please PM me,I need your help.
It's a year and a half old. Just click on his name and PM him

Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks I did that,he,s still active,but has not yet responded back.