Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'94 Volvo 850 Starting Issues

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Volvo 850 Starting Issues

Hey guys, first time Volvo owner here.

Bought a 94 Volvo 850 non-turbo only TWO days ago, because I wanted a nice looking wagon. 195,000 miles on it, and when I bought it ran and shifted great.

I even drove it home (40 minute drive to my house) and it ran like a champ!

However, I get up, pay all my registration and tag fees, get it road ready, head out for lunch and coming back out it wouldn't start

I bought it with a slightly rough idle, because I figured it was something minor...I mean my Fiat does the same thing and it's probably caused by a bad TPS or Lambda sensor.

But now it's in a Zaxby's parking lot, and when I turned it over last it would start, run at like 100-200 rpms and shut off 5 seconds later. Pressing the gas pedal wouldn't increase the rpms, like it wasn't able to get fuel, and no it wasn't out of gas, I had put $15 into it on the way home last night.

Now I have a few theories. The first one has to do with the immobilizer security system in the car. I'm not sure how it does it but apparently it causes it not to start? But from what I gather it makes the switch do nothing. But my car has a 3rd party keyless entry system, and I used it to unlock the car.

I also noticed that when I got into the car, I couldn't move the gear selector to any other gear than Park for at least the first couple of times trying to start it. I wanted to click it into Neutral or something to see if it was the transmission. On any other auto car I've driven, clicking the ignition over to the 2nd or 3rd position would allow you to move the gears around.

The 2nd theory is that the MAF or the Camshaft Position Sensor crapped out on me all of a sudden....which doesn't seem plausible because the problem didn't gradually happen. I haven't tried to start it since then, my mechanic brother is going to check it out in the morning.

Other than that I have no friggin clue, cars in general are a foreign world to me, I'm a computer technician not a mechanic. Top that off with the fact that Volvo's are a little different from other cars from what I can gather and I'm kinda lost.

I do LOVE the car though, nice and roomy drives like a dream. When it's running of course.

I guess what I'd like to find out is, has anyone else had a similar problem, and how did you fix it? If my brother can't figure this out, then it'll be up to me to figure this crud out. Which should be a boatload of fun

Sorry if that's a lot to read, I figured I'd try to be as detailed as possible.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess would be fuel pump or relay. are you getting spark? also try unplugging the MAF

Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by 91shelby
my guess would be fuel pump or relay. are you getting spark? also try unplugging the MAF
I'll have to check some of this stuff once I get it back to the house...hopefully my brother can get it limping home at the least.

Haha, you can imagine how bummed out I was after buying the car, driving it home and day 1 of ownership BAM, no starting.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM

So my brother went out and got it started right up after it sat for a while. Made me look like a big tard.

However when I got home today I ran the computer codes and this is what I've found so far:

The fuel system the first time I checked it gave me a 1-2-1 code, which is a bad MAF sensor.

However, the 2nd time I ran it after turning the car off and going inside for a bit, I got a 1-1-1 code, which means its fine... So I guess the MAF is being flaky? No other codes would run on either try, just 1-2-1, or 1-1-1.

The weird one I ran into was when I ran the Instrument panel code, it just gave me a 1-1-1 which didn't map to anything on the chart I printed out...anyone know what this is?

Also another possible issue was the hollow hose going from the radiator to the computer box has a hole in it? Is this important? What's it for?

So far my list of immediate repairs is about $450, which isn't bad for a $1100 car I guess.

Going to replace the timing belt assembly as soon as I can.

EDIT: There is one other weird problem that I've noticed, while driving it on acceleration this high pitched buzzing noise happens, and it sounds like it's coming from the dash or something? I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but it goes in and out abruptly. The car doesn't seem to have any acceleration issues or anything while it's doing this, its just some random noise.

Last edited by steelehuskie; 06-04-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 PM

The MAF's are iffy, My 96 did the same thing the other day... let it sit for an hour or so and it started with no issue..

Your buzzing could just be typical 850 vibration.. Look at your rpm's when you hear it, if it happens every time in that rpm range you can start to hone in on the location.. Remember if you can duplicate it you can find it.

Hope that helps

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
The MAF's are iffy, My 96 did the same thing the other day... let it sit for an hour or so and it started with no issue..

Your buzzing could just be typical 850 vibration.. Look at your rpm's when you hear it, if it happens every time in that rpm range you can start to hone in on the location.. Remember if you can duplicate it you can find it.

Hope that helps
I bet it's something in the dash, it does rattle and shift a lot...the 2nd owner did a bunch of junk in the dash and ruined all the wiring, and the guys I bought it from were piecing it back together. When they got it the dash lights didn't even work properly, and even now the heated seats / cruise control don't really work. Not only that but I can lift the top black part of the dash up, and push the gauge cluster backwards on one side...so it's probably missing a few screws here and there.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The random buzzing is likely the climate control fan. Switch the climate control switch to 0 or off and see if it ever happens. You can also turn the fan to different speeds to see if the noise returns.

If it does, you should access it and give it a good lube so it doesn't get worse and lock up on you.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
The random buzzing is likely the climate control fan. Switch the climate control switch to 0 or off and see if it ever happens. You can also turn the fan to different speeds to see if the noise returns.

If it does, you should access it and give it a good lube so it doesn't get worse and lock up on you.
Climate control is set to 0 the whole time.

Also I don't think the climate control is wired up at all honestly.

I ran the computer codes for it and I got no lights or anything.

The other little problem that may be related to THAT, is the 4th speed of the blower fan doesn't work -- 1-3 do, but clicking it to 4 shuts it off.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Is your car TURBO? Also, does it have the OBD-II port? Some do.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Is your car TURBO? Also, does it have the OBD-II port? Some do.
Nope, it's a 94 so it's OBD1 with the diagnostics under the hood.

Also it's a non-turbo model. Couldn't find a turbo in my price range