Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'96 850 T5 - A couple or queries

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM
GMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 850 T5 - A couple or queries

Firstly, great forum folks, enjoyed having a read through.................

My brother has a '96 850 T5 estate. It has 102,000 miles with a full Volvo service history.

I was driving it today (for the 1st time), and have a couple of queries.

1. Turbo Boost

Any turbo charged car I've previously driven (petrol and diesel), the turbo boost comes in very suddenly and give the car a real kick of power. This doesn't seem to happen in his T5, the power is delivered gradually. Is this correct? On full boost, the turbo boost gauge climbs to approx the 'three quarters' of the way up the gauge, is this correct or should it climb the full way? Does the turbo actuator suffer on these vehicles at high mileage?

Don't get me wrong, the car has plently of power, I just expected it to be delivered more suddenly

2. Clutch

When pulling away, there is a 'squeal' from the clutch. I know it's the clutch as I can also feel the vibration through the pedal. It does it more frequently when the car is loaded or when moving off quickly. The clutch does not slip under normal operation. I was wondering if it is the thrust bearing or perhaps the plate slipping only on take-off?

Thanks for you help.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
GMC
Default RE: '96 850 T5 - A couple or queries

Anyone ??????

Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know. Five speed turbos are few and far between in the USA. Based on other stick shifts I have driven sound like the clutch is start to go bad. As far as the turbo boost, I am used to it being combined with going into passing, so I have no idea how it would feel in a 5 speed.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: GMC

1. Turbo Boost

Any turbo charged car I've previously driven (petrol and diesel), the turbo boost comes in very suddenly and give the car a real kick of power. This doesn't seem to happen in his T5, the power is delivered gradually. Is this correct? On full boost, the turbo boost gauge climbs to approx the 'three quarters' of the way up the gauge, is this correct or should it climb the full way? Does the turbo actuator suffer on these vehicles at high mileage?

Don't get me wrong, the car has plently of power, I just expected it to be delivered more suddenly

2. Clutch

When pulling away, there is a 'squeal' from the clutch. I know it's the clutch as I can also feel the vibration through the pedal. It does it more frequently when the car is loaded or when moving off quickly. The clutch does not slip under normal operation. I was wondering if it is the thrust bearing or perhaps the plate slipping only on take-off?

Thanks for you help.
There shouldn't be much difference between turbo'ed cars. Is your clutch slipping -- tach rpms going up faster than speedometer?

I would use a pump from a cooling leak-down test kit, and check whether intercooler hoses can hold up to 18 psi without leaking. Also, possible leaks in vacuum hoses and master brake cylinder hose.

Do not try to adjust wastegate actuator arm. If you think previous owner tampered with wastegate, ask Tech for precedures to place actuator arm back in correct position.