Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor

Hey people can anyone explain to me how to jump the compressor. Just imagine I'm really really slow thanks so much.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: A/C compressor

I haven't jumped mine, but last time I looked at the compressor, there were only two electrical wires. There was a post at matthew's Volvo site, but it was a while ago and I cannot remember the URL for the particular question.

I just checked Vxlvospxxd's forum and it was not much of help.

Does the compressor re-engage when you tap it with a long metal tool? If so, you might want to consider re-shimming it. Tech has a post pinned to the top.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM

No I tried last night to that and got nothing. Man this is a problem it gets hot inside that car pretty quick I would love to turn on the A/C and have it work instead of blow warm air.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
JPN

Hi Kakins,

I'm sorry about the faulty A/C, been there & done that. And I personally think cars without A/C are a joke. I once met a woman who said she loved hot weather and never bothered A/C in her car. Being only 22, I felt like sauna-tising her minivan to see how she thought[8D].

If the compressor does not respond after tapping, the problem is either R134a is too low, or as you say the wires have to be bypassed.

Buy a recharge kit that has pressure gauge, as well as a bottle of R134a with *PAG oil in it($30-$50). Read the back of the bottle to see if it has PAG oil in it, some kits come with R134a bottle. Try to find one that has long flex hose, as there are many components getting in the way and some kits cannot get to the recharge port (low side). Most pressure gages have colour codes and the pressure should be within the green band. When you recharge, make sure to run the A/C at full blast and at the coldest setting, even though your A/C is currently inoperative. Read the directions carefully, *wear eye protection and shake the bottle to mix R134a & PAG oil well, and then trigger it. Do not shake the bottle while you're triggering. Again, read the directions on the back of the bottle or included in the kit.

Refer to the following thread:
https://volvoforums.com/m_48510/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Matthew's site has some info too:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/ac_page.php

*PAG oil is the lubricant for the A/C compressor. The oil is mixed with R134a and is circulating through the system.

*I know of some idiots, being conceited/macho and regretted in the end.

Recheck the system pressure after a day. If there is a leak, it must be fixed. Hopefully the leak is not from the evaporator, because it is a good one day job to replace the evaporator. Some R134a's may come with tracer dye, which is a great alternative as the leak shows up under black light.

One last note. 90% (let's say 80%, 850's A/C was an absolute fiasco) of the A/C problem is caused by the drivers. The A/C has to be used, especially in winter. You can do this with the heat on so it won't be ice-cold in cabin. Turn the heater to desired temp and activate the A/C, or turn the vent selector to defrost, this will force the compressor to turn on. All you need is to do this once every 3 days or so, approx 10 minutes each time during colder season. This keeps the seals & O-rings lubricated. If not done, the rubber seals & O-rings will dry up and cause leak. This is the reason why many used cars don't have refrigerant.

Sorry I got wordy as usual. I hope this is of some use. Too bad Tech is not available at the moment.

JPN

Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks so much for the info, but back to the original ? how do I jump the compressor.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
JPN

>how do I jump the compressor.
Stand up on the engine and hop-step-jump, just kidding[8D].

There should be 2 electrical wires leading to the compressor, and you have to connect them physically. But I myself have not jumped mine so don't quote me on which wires, but when I looked at my compressor, I only saw 2 wires so I am just assuming they are the wires that have to be jumped.

Wait till someone else jumps in, someone who has done this.

JPN

Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Funny funny funny! Okay it's seems like that is something I'm capable of I'll let you know how it went thanks.