Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Car Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Not Starting

Hey Guys,
I went to start my car to go to work this morning and it did not start. It worked fine on Sunday evening without a trace that something is wrong. I tried starting it a couple of timesbut it just tumbles over but it does not start.it give a little kick lick it would start but it does not.
I towed it this afternoon to my mechanic but he was about to close up for the day so he just checked to see if fuel is going to the injectors and there is a spack for the distributer and the plug which all turn out good. He said it may be the timing belt so he would check it tomorrow.
Can anyone tell me what they think it is. if it is the belt what else do I need to check and what are the best belts to get if that is the problem.

Thanks for your help
Riculus

Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Car Not Starting

If the belt broke you bent valves and it will cost atleast $1500.00 to $2000.00 to repair it.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM

WOW!, Worse case what could be causing the car not to start. Maybe it is better for me to buy a new engine.
Thanks for the quick fedback
Riculus

Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Let them finish checking it tomorrow.
If it broke try to find a used engine.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Riculus,

It may not be the Timing belt, and you would want to check it to see if the belt is actually broken. If it ran fine until Sunday, I'm assuming something else. If it was the T-belt, then it could have been broken during cranking, but it seems to me that it is either fuel or starting system problem (though I wouldn't argue with Tech's suggestions). In many cases, the starter keeps clicking if there is not sufficient power available (neglected or defective battery). In such case, I suspect the battery or the starter. Electrical components often fail without any warning. If fuel is reaching the injectors, well the fuel control is probably fine, though I would still check for codes.

I'llleave you witha URL linkT-belt inspection. This is within the capability of most people; you only need to remove one 12mm bolt and wiggle & lifta plastic cover upward. This exposes all you need to see around the timing belt:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php

Whatever your mechanic tells you, be sure to make him show you the failed components/test results(broken T-belt, print out from a diagnostic equipment, etc...).

Good luck,

JPN

Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks Tech and JPN for your advice on my problem. I would take both of your suggestions into consideration. This is a wonderful and helpful forum.

Thanks
Riculus

Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Well guys,
I did not break, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a relief. As JPN suggested it was an electrical problem. It was the wire from the coil to the distributer. They replaced it an kazam! i'm on the road again.
Oh, by the way, my T-Belt is in great shape.
Thanks for the help, suggestions and the quick response.
Riculus

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Yeah if you're T-belt broke that's all kinds of bad. Probabaly would sound like death too.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Glad it was an easy fix and not the timing belt.

Did they replace all the ignition cables?

If not have them replaced soon or another one might do the same thing.
But it would only cause a misfire.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad the T-belt was fine. If you have a service record, be sure to have it replaced at every 70,000 miles/5 years. If you don't have a record, make sure to check the belt at every oil change; just take the cover off and with a strong flashlight,look for cracks, especially at the roots of the teeth (cogs). When you spot even the tiniest crack atthe root, replace it with OEM belt (Continental Tech).

Asfor the ignition wire, if you like to save a few $$$ on labour you can buy a set of OEM(Bougicord) wires and putthem yourself (keep the one you just got for a spare). If you take time, you can do this butI would definitely invest $15-$20in a Haynes manual. Replace one wire at a a time to avoid confusion.

FCP Groton hasa setfor $49 plus shipping:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850tuneup.htm

While tune-up/maintenance may not be cheap, neglect costs a lot more.

Good luck!

JPN

Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the advice Tech and JPN. I replaced all the wires and the spack plugs.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good move. Sure glad things worked out well for you. Sounds like you got a good guy to work on your car too.