Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Changing engine oil&filter

Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing engine oil&filter

Hello,

I got my baby 2 weeks ago, and I fixed broken odometer, timing belt&water pump, and entire pcv system.
Now it's time to do oil change, and by looking at the oil filter, it looks pretty tight space to grab the filter by hand. I know the filter has to be hand tighten, but who knows how tight is the filter.
I want to make sure I have everything to do this. I don't want to go to a tool shop middle of replacing the oil.
What kind of tool do you guys use to loosen the filter? Volvo filter looks pretty wide and short.
Any recommendation?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use the old fashioned big oil filter wrench on mine. It's tight but it works. I hand tighten and then use the wrench for about an 1/8 to 1/4 more with the wrench. Nothing special about it at all. About as easy as they come. I use either OEM Volvo or Mann filters only.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

+1

I do everything by hand but have had to us a filter wrench before. I use Mobile 1 Oil and Mobile 1 filter.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Very valid concern, in my opinion. Just a bit of history... our 01 V70 has the plastic cup with the paper element. The first time I did the change, for some reason was very difficult to remove and I had a difficult time finding a wrench to fit because of it's position and lack of access. A long story but I ended up buying a set of slip joint, angled handle plyer type that worked.

So today, I'm, pulling the motor on my recently aquired 96 850 T5 and want to remove and drain the filter, but I couldn't do it by hand so I went for the plyer type wrench. No problem..crushed the case of it but it came off.

I only, for a long time, hand tighten filters and always hand remove them, (if I've installed them). I love the fram grip paint, it is the best.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you for the reply.
I went to an auto store with the OEM new filter to test fit a wrench, but all of them were kind of crappy quality and I didn't like them.
I just tried to remove the filter without any tool, and actually I could remove it by hand. Thanks god
Everything went smooth included transmission flush.
My car drives much better. The old oil was black, not even brown. I guess the PO drove it quite a bit without changing the oil.

Oh, one more thing, I replaced entire PCV system and cleaned PTC valve. No more smoke from the dips stick.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM

Engine oil lubricates and removes heat from internal engine components. The oil filter removes harmful deposits from the engine oil, preventing them from being circulated throughout the engine.
Manufacturers differ in their recommended guidelines for when engine oil and oil filters should be changed. As a general rule, however, engine oil should be changed every 3,000 miles to keep the engine healthy and to prolong its life.
When changing or adding engine oil, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the weight (0/30W, 5/30W, 20/50W), grade, and type of oil to use. Using an incorrect type or weight may invalidate your manufacturer's warranty.
To change the oil and filter, the technician removes the drain plug at the bottom of the engine oil pan and drains the oil. S/He removes the oil filter and replaces it with a new one. The technician reinstalls the drain plug and fills the engine with fresh oil. S/He starts the engine and checks for leaks. Finally, the technician switches off the engine, rechecks the the oil level, and resets the maintenance light
======================================
Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems, Car's, 4WD, SUV's and Trailers
chicago party bus

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The BIG thing to remember when changing the oil filter is to make damn sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter. A buddy of mine did not and had a heck of an oil leak afterwards.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobec
Very valid concern, in my opinion. Just a bit of history... our 01 V70 has the plastic cup with the paper element. The first time I did the change, for some reason was very difficult to remove and I had a difficult time finding a wrench to fit because of it's position and lack of access. A long story but I ended up buying a set of slip joint, angled handle plyer type that worked.

So today, I'm, pulling the motor on my recently aquired 96 850 T5 and want to remove and drain the filter, but I couldn't do it by hand so I went for the plyer type wrench. No problem..crushed the case of it but it came off.

I only, for a long time, hand tighten filters and always hand remove them, (if I've installed them). I love the fram grip paint, it is the best.
Great advice except Fram is a four letter word; recommend using the Mann filters; they're OEM.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep!!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Default That is true!

Is very hard to remove the filter, i make oil and filter change yesterday and was very hard to remove the filter.

I use a hammer and screw driver to removed because with other tool was imposible.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
Great advice except Fram is a four letter word; recommend using the Mann filters; they're OEM.
While I was running around trying to find a MANN filter, at g"DOG"s advise, I realized I like women, pulled into the next discount autoparts store, bought a fram, went home put it on and had sooo much fun with a real woman. I expect he's still driving around looking for a MANN.

Last edited by Bobec; 02-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL!!! You're killing me Bob; seriously my sides are hurting from laughing too much...

But if you are looking for Mann oil filters (which is what the rest of us in this thread were referring to..) you can find them at IPD, these guys are just across town from me. FCP has them too.

And in case you were wondering, am happily married, so not looking for anyone else, of any gender....

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Maybe I missed something here but what is the deal with Fram filters? Is there any real evidence or proof of one doing harm to a Volvo (or any engine) or is it one of those anecdotal stories that turned into rumor that then became "truth" without any investigation?

Oil filters are all pretty simple devices.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by schigara
Maybe I missed something here but what is the deal with Fram filters? Is there any real evidence or proof of one doing harm to a Volvo (or any engine) or is it one of those anecdotal stories that turned into rumor that then became "truth" without any investigation?

Oil filters are all pretty simple devices.
Yes I agree. I've used Frams for years on cars, generators, diesels and never had one ounce of a problem. I think it's more a matter of a strong opinion that has no basis.

hey Schigara did you see this

https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/name-tool-38794/

I figured you'd have an unfair advantage on this one.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Newer models have the plastic cartridge with replaceble filter insert and gasket. It's important to have the new filter on hand and a filter cup wrench that fits it.It's an 85MM cup wrench as I recall not normally carried in auto parts shops. I got mine on ebay for about 8bucks. I have removed mine with the pliers like filter removal tool; however, it;s easy to heavily scratch the cover. Personally, I woud not get under mine again without this cup wrench and a rachet wrench and short extension. Just not worth the trouble. A Volvo dealer will charge one thru the nose for a filter change( charging a high price for the filter insert and even charging for the gasket.They also jack up the price of synthetic oil and even a shop supply fee. Get ready for a $100+ cost if a dealer does it. Get the right wrench, buy 6 Qts of good synthetic motor oil, (10-5 or 10-10, which ever your owner's manual specifies),a filter insert(comes with the large O-ring type gasket), a pan enough to catch the oil, metric wrenches to remove any water shield panels to gain access to the filter.Jack the front up at the driver;s side jack poin, put a safety stand under the frame and go to work.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM

I went to change the oil on my 98 v70 for the first time. (Friend gave me a few cases of Mobil1 thought it best to use them)

I drained the old oil and removed the filter only to discover the store from which I bought it gave me one that does not match what was on there. The filter I got is a Fram CPH7328
or a PH16 (which I bought understanding it would fit my 98 Dodge work van)

Is either of these correct?

Thanks, Terry