Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

E3 spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread was over with the first reply.

We have seen these spark plug threads pop up all the time. The bottom line here is that the Volvo OEM plugs work best. The Coppers are right there with them but do wear out faster. If you want to save a buck, go with the coppers.

These comments come from numerous discussions and real life testing in Volvo engines from Volvo owners who range from stock to insane amounts of boost. What more do you want?

My ignition will jump the distance of a nickle so spark delivery is not an issue. I have tried every plug and every suggested plug gap anyone has recommended yet when it all came down to it...I ended up with Coppers.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grndslm
Because the conversation would likely go like this....
What type of spark plugs do I need for this non-turbo 850??
Hmm.... let me see. That would be SKU# 8642660.
OK... so who makes that plug?
We do.
OK... so what type of metal is it made of?
The computer doesn't say, but I'd guess it's good metal.
----------------------------
Representatives don't typically know anymore information about the parts of 15 year old vehicles than what I can find on the Internet. It takes an enthusiast to share this information, not the typical employee.
But sure... I guess it's worth a shot.
But you found the one rep with 20 years knowledge, congrats.
Well that's why I suggested you call the dealer in the first place instead of you guessing your butt off and spending all the time posting stuff that apparently only you are interested in.

That and the title YOU posted is "E3 spark plugs ?"

If you want to get technical and start questioning the quality of the nickel coating on a plug and how pure it might or might not be you should without a doubt ask the experts over at Volvospeed Volvo Repairs And Performance since they run much higher performance engines and would be able to guide you on proper heat range for your engines needs and what plugs have held up under more brutal conditions.

For a daily drive we have answered your question. Of the people who responded, E3s are NOT the way to go.
The stock plug from the manual is a Champion and I supplied you with the number.
I'm running a stock spec Platinum on a slightly modified engine and I'm happy with them and I gave you the number for mine.
Boxpin is running a much more modified engine but would likely give you the number of what he's running.

What you've found out from us here is that most of us run fairly normal plugs, copper core or platinum or iridium that aren't sold because they have the latest gimmick in the electrode area but a good reputation for getting the job done.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by boxpin
This thread was over with the first reply.
What he said !!

And posting the 2AM, between hair restorer and how to make money from home, super duper spark plug ads for each fly by night spark plug design doesn't do anything but waste space.

Like I said before, if any of these "super" plugs really worked every guy with a modified engine would grab them to get that little extra edge.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Change the title of the thread, or not... but I'm not talking about E3 plugs anymore. So there's really no need to say that they aren't the way to go. That much I am sure of.

But here's the problem... that I don't actually believe Lisa knows everything about every engine in every model of Volvo made for the past 20 years without needing to verify it. Just don't believe it. I called the Volvo HQ, not the parts dept. at the dealership. But ya never know, maybe she is all knowing.

Another thing... I don't believe that boxpin has tried "every" plug. If he has, then perhaps he could recommend which of the four I am considering (NGK IX / Laser -or- Denso Power / Long Life) was the best of the bunch? ... and how he determined that such a plug was the best for his (which?) needed characteristics? Also, did he gap these iridium plugs? Rock Auto doesn't list the Laser & Long Life plugs, but I'm sure that they can be found by going to the manufacturer's site and doing a product search.

Here's something else about Rock Auto's site is that they list "0.028" gap for the NGK IX, but a "0.044" gap for the Denso Power. The Denso Power is also the "most frequently purchased" of the Iridium plugs, btw. So perhaps all these people buying the Denso Powers are not gapping them properly, as the instructions tell you not to gap the plug!!! This is false. You can gap these thin tip plugs, but you must be very careful with that thin electrode.

I have seen one or two places on IPD's site where they recommend the stock plugs, but they also recommend the NGKs are just as good. I have seen a number of reviews that claim the NGK IX's are "flawless" and "smooth"... and yes, some of them have been at VolvoSpeed --> What Are The Best For My Volvo S70 T5?s70 T5? Ngk Iridium Ix , Or Denso Stock Volvo - Page 2 - Performance Modifications - Volvospeed Forums - Page 2 .... Other reviews were on the Advance Auto Parts site.

I'm not sure whether people are afraid to be wrong or are so cocksure that they're right.... but as soon as people get rid of the "Lisa" mentality that we just trust and not verify, perhaps we could all just get along.

And for the last time, feel free to change the thread title. But a new thread is rather worthless, because iridium plugs will just be labeled as "gimmicky" and the same story will unfold. A lot of these personal discoveries that I have made deserve to stay together.

My latest discovery is the Spark Plug Treatise created by Denso...

- DENSO SPARK PLUGS

And the best guide to reading spark plugs...

- Spark plug reading

Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Last link for the day, then I've got to run...

- http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=54863

But I can tell this thread is nearing an end as I discover what I'm going to buy. That thread was just created a mere two weeks ago. And what's in it?? A side-gapped plug!!! As we could see the VTA 3D plug ran like absolute crap, this is the exact opposite... "unrestricted" spark.

http://www.ardtuning.com/Bosch-Motor...lug_p_131.html

Anyway, gotta run.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Second post.

Lookie what I found in the garage. Yes, gapped. .024, .026, .028 and .032.

Name:  86C4F11D-3E6E-4C16-AE74-EA5EC23E5042-6538-0000042828449577_zps79e9542f.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  75.3 KB

Denso boxes have been tossed some time ago. They were the second set I tried. I have not run the Motorsports yet, lucky just posted them for sale a week or so ago. But I will, already been in touch with him.

Last edited by boxpin; 03-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Administrator

B5234T5, H-Beams, ported, N/A cams, Cyro'ed, 20G w/ARD Black tune, Greens, R-Mani, Meth injected, 3" exhaust, catless, M56L, Quaife, R-Clutch (Cyro'ed), FMIC, Snabb intake & hoses & Poly, HKS Blow-off, ARD pulley, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, IPD sways

OMG !! you didn't list the plug. Are you a closet E3 user

Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

OMG !! you didn't list the plug. Are you a closet E3 user
Fixed

Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Now I see why the other guy kicked you off his custom steering wheel install thread !!!