Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Engine rebuild progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahaha, yeah, I know, they do. That's where it got parked and it hasn't moved since then.

My 854 must really have some bad compression, I've never chirped the tires in that car. Oh well, only a year and a half or so and I'll have my wagon close to finished, and with 3 pedals I won't be chirping, I'll be smoking.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bob,

I'm glad things seem to be working out. It was nice to talk with you the other day and help as best as I could.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Schigara....you dah man, buddy. Thank you!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Personally, I don't see a big enough difference between the R's and turbos, the only difference, performance wise, is the computer chip. If you want to rebuild a car, get a plain turbo, and the money you save you could probably pay for the rebuild. When built and tuned with supporting mods these get close to 300whp, I think 286 whp is the most I've seen. That's without extensive modification.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Yeah Gilbert I've been thinking about this because the R's want big, unrealistic money. I mean nearly $5K asking for an R with near or over 200K on it?? So, is the R just a tubo with more boost? and more open exhaust? and ECU mods? Price wise, I think, I'd rather buy a turbo with about 300K, tear it down, bore it, new pistons, (Judging only from my crank measurements no problem with the crank), head, valves, seals. I must be crazy?? but so are the rest of you!!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Performance wise, the only difference on the R's is the ECU. That's it, everything else is cosmetics. Hence, why I went with the wagon I did. I have a wagon, and really all I need to do is drop the motor I have into it, and I would then have a turbo wagon with 100k miles on it for about 800 bucks (but of course I'm too picky to stop there and want everything new for reassurance). But to get an R with 100k miles I would be looking at probably 6-8k. For 6k, I could have one very bad *** wagon.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM

So I decided to punish myself some more today. I really don't know what's worse, pulling the motor and rebuilding or doing a brake job.

Mistake one... after seeing the caliper rebuild kits at FCP, because I'm both stupid and cheap, said to myself, great, why not??? This should be easy. After spending an hour or so trying to seperate the hose from the line (LF) I just cut the line just behind the nut, went to AZ bought flaring tool and nuts and was on my way. Then spent another hour of trying this that and the other thing to get the boot on the piston and into the caliper. Ok got it all together behind schedule but the rest should be easy.

Mistake two, mistake one + I had the caliper off, pistons out, new seals and boots, pistons back in, everything looked good. Put the shiny new rotor on, caliper on(still had to cut and reflare the line), and pads in when I tried to open the bleeder. Snap(it didn't take much) Now I'm F'ed. Take the caliper off go to AZ get extractors and a kit of bleeders, come home and snap off the extractor now I'm really F'ed . So in a deperate move of more stupidness I put the caliper in the drillpress and try to drill out something soft between the threads and the extractor. Finally call AZ and order new calipers for delivery tomorrow at 5pm. Just my idea of a sunday evening.

I did get the RF finished so tomorrow all I have to do is install the rears and bleed (see I've jinxed myself already).

The moral of the story. Buy rebuilt calipers. I'd be sitting back enjoying life if I had. And be prepared to cut and reflare the lines, I've done every one but the RR so far.

Last edited by Bobec; 12-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 PM

That sucks. I lol'd when you just ordered a new caliper. Haha. Oh well, live and learn I guess....then get luvs, but not yet.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELLO EVERY ONE IM RICHARD FROM FLORIDA
1996 VOLVO 850 TURBO PLATINUM EDITION
removed and inspected turbocharger for damage and /or wear
removed exhaust head
removed fuel rail and inspected and cleaned injectors
replaced all injector seals
removed spark plug wires and plugs
removed distributor/ rotor and rear seal
removed intake inspected for damage
removed oilpan to inspect cam bearings -no damage seen
removed pcv and all lines connecting- blocked and badly damaged
installed new pcv and all lines for pcv
removed valve cover
removed and inspected tappets
cleaned and new oiled tappets
removed 12 head bolts
removed head
inspected front and rear oil seals on intake and exhaust cams
removed all traces of old gaskets from head and valve cover
removed old gasket material from head and from valve cover
cleaned oil pan and sump- installed new gasket
cleaned piston head surfaces
cleaned intake and exhaust valve areas
cleaned oil passages and checked for blockages and repaired them
cleaned and degreased engine head
cleaned turbocharger
replaced oil and coolant lines
replaced rear oil seals
replaced head gasket
installed new head gaskets
installed new intake gasket
replaced head bolt with new ones
re-installed head to torque specifications
re-installed tappets
re-installed intake and exhaust cams
installed new valve cover sealtorqued to specifications
re-installed turbocharger
re-installed exhaust manifold to torque specifications
re-attached exhaust to turbocharger
replaced melted spark plug wires and plugs
replaced rotor and distributor
All this needed done after my motor decided to die 2 weeks ago right after i drove it off the car dealers lot plus $ 600 to go from Miami to Naples florida
i will add fotos when i figure out how - i have been taking pics as i do every step
THIS HAPPENED -- DRIVING HOME IT PUKES OIL ALL OVER THE FREEWAY - ENGINE JUST WENT QUIET AND SHUT DOWN ALL DASH LIGHTS ON - FIRST INSTINCT - TURN OFF IGNITION - PUT IN NEUTRAL - COAST CAME TO STOP OFF ROAD WAY COP COMES GIVES TICKET FOR OIL SPILL 200$ NOW IM HAPPY-ANY WAY I GET IT HOME AND STRIP THE MOTOR DOWN TO ITS UNDER PANTS - LAST THING I HEARD FROM THE N-GINE WAS A GASPING SORT OF SOUND - WELL, THE CARS NAME IS "PEARL" AND SHE KNOWS IM GOING TO FIX HER AND MAKE HER BETTER THAN BEFORE-- SORRY BOUT CAPS
i think she knows im doing her good she burps(just a wierd noise like shes tryin to talk ) every now and then
it should be finished in 2 or 3 weeks
BTW ive never done any thing like this before but its fun- gettin all oily greasy and grimy i will post photos when i figure out how

Last edited by radio16; 12-13-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: FORGOT NAME
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Hey bobec, so did you ever come up with a final cost for the project? I don't know if you saw in my thread buy I messed up the paint on my valve cover, so I basically forced to strip it off. But then I remembered that I have my wagon that I'm parting out, so I'm thinking about just swapping valve covers. What seals/gaskets do I need for just the valve cover?