Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

First time 850 owner-need advice-thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time 850 owner-need advice-thanks!

Good day to all.

I just bought a 1997 850 GLT with ~114k on it. If is in incredible shape. Shiny black paint and immaculate black leather. I bought it from the original owner who also gave me a pile of receipts from day one. They totaled almost $23,000! (Most in the last 5 years). I don't think he ever said no to the mechanic. At first I thought that was a lot of $$$ but I did the math and that only came to around $136 a month. Not too bad I guess. It was always garaged and never had kids in it. The back seat is un-touched. It drives like a rocket ship. I paid $3000 for it. So, I need some advice. I am pretty good with cars/trucks but this is my first Volvo. Here are a few questions:

What type of oil and how often?

The odometer broke 2 months ago, is that hard to fix?

Drivers side heated seat does not heat? Advice?

Any issues with this year/model I should pay attention to?

I would like to add factory fog lights. Advice?

Did I get a good deal?

Thanks for any help here.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Default odo

the odo is easy to repair ,google it , takes about 1/2 hour BUT heres the problem the CHEAP bubble gum replacement gear is total garbage , buy'em in brass , just replaced mine last spring guess what ,broke , now i'm getting the brass ones ! $23,000 in repairs ? my jeep hasn't had one penny put into parts ! I hope your rich !

Last edited by hookuspookus; 03-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you got a good deal to me. If you go to the top of this forum and see the Helpful Hint DIY thread many of your questions will be answered right there.

The oddometer is a very inexpensive fix, but takes some time.

I use semi-synthetic Valvoline 10W30 or 10W40 and change it about every 3,000 miles. Use Mann or Volvo filters. Can get 10 of them at fcpgroton for $30+. That's a very good place to buy your parts by the way.

Not sure about the heated seat fix. Mine work, but not very well.

See if you can get a set of Used Fog Lights. Might try Erie Volvo 1-888-865-8613, which is a great place for used parts.

The 97 GLT is the only year that the 850 GLT came with the low pressure turbo and you don't want the non-turbo Volvo imo if y ou like the pep of the turbo.

Have fun and there is most always somebody here to answer your qeustions.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stagarms
What type of oil and how often?

The odometer broke 2 months ago, is that hard to fix?

Drivers side heated seat does not heat? Advice?

Any issues with this year/model I should pay attention to?

I would like to add factory fog lights. Advice?

Did I get a good deal?

Thanks for any help here.
Oil:
Synthetic - Personal Pref - Mobil1 (10w/30) but buy for your climate

Odometer:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/13701/nm/Odometer+Gear
Repair: https://volvoforums.com/m_83867/tm.htm

Seats:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27622
Had to repair both of mine, pulled the skins back, found the break, connected the break and reassembled.

Fogs:
Most(not all) are prewired. If you pull the blank next to the headlight switch, on the back will be a yellow plug. If you have it, your prewired. If you do you will need the switch, the fogs and the relays that run it all. If your not (like I was) I acquired the parts and harnesses and wired it up myself.
Just good info:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/helpful-information-how-diy-repairs-26114/

Last edited by boxpin; 03-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM

You should go Stage 0 items and make sure you are within those intervals. Other things to watch for:

1- If ABS light comes on and speedo works funny, the module is bad. That's a $ 120 repair item if you outsource it. If you can solder, it is a $ 1.20 item.

2- PCV (including PTC): it is very important to have this system clean. Check DIY sticky. If your Engine Oil dipstick is smoking when pulled-up, PCV + PTC need immediate attention.

850s are great cars, and very affordable if you can DIY.

Wagon or sedan? Which part of CT are you in?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I love that '97 GLT. We have a S70 GLT and love it.

Those receipts, ouch! I would have seen those and RAN!!! What in the world was going on with that. I would have thought it was a lemon needing that much work. If it was $23,000 in the past 5 years that's $4,600 per year, $383 per month. Look those over and see what's been done. The car should be like new. I normally expect to spend $75 per month on these cars.

You should easily get another 200k out of the thing. Congrat again. I think you got a deal.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the help on the odometer issue. Yes. 22k in repairs is a lot...but, I truly believe this guy just simply said "yes" to absolutely everything the dealer suggested. Some of the $$$ was for all the schedulers maintenance (like clockwork) and tires, brakes, other maintenance etc. I look at it as good because a lot of high $$$ stuff is new.

On another note, I did more research, I see you own a 850 T-5R. I understand they are incredible cars. How is yours? Fast? Faster then the GLT? I would love to find one in good shape.

Thanks again for your help...

Last edited by rspi; 03-27-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks..sorry I took so long to respond. Black sedan. I live in Waterford CT. So far, we love this car. May look for another one in 6 months or so...

I am consider my self a very good DIYer. Know my 1997 F250 inside and out. I am an engineer and like to work on things, although the older I get, the less I really want to!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks..sorry I took so long to respond. Black sedan. I live in Waterford CT. So far, we love this car. May look for another one in 6 months or so...

I am consider my self a very good DIYer. Know my 1997 F250 inside and out. I am an engineer and like to work on things, although the older I get, the less I really want to!
That's nice, you're 15 minutes from FCP Groton in Old Saybrook, in case you need to run and get something. If you want to tinker with performance, yes a T or even a R would be a better choice.

I think you will find the 850 easier to work on than your F250, especially the if you have the 5.4, which I think you do. And no, it won't spit spark-plugs out.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info. There is a shop: The Autowerkes Home Page in New London who are Volvo nuts. I have heard great things about them.

Funny you should mention my F250 like that. It is the old style F250. In 1997, Ford split the year for 250s. The switched to that horrendous design halfway thorough. I have the old version which I usually refer to a 96 when getting parts. It has the 5.8 (351W) engine. Here is the thing: I snapped a plug last summer doing a tune up. I laid on the ground and almost cried!! My oldest son felt so bad for me, he came over and spent EIGHT solid hours getting it out and all the junk in the cylinder. What a kid!!

I may look for a newer model for my wife. She really, really wants the C70 convertible. Any advice on that model?

I am guessing you live in CT too....man, am I getting tired of this state!

Thanks again!

Mark

Last edited by rspi; 03-27-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I had the 351 myself on my 95 Van. Thirsty, but great engine. I hated doing plugs on it. You do need an ambulance nearby to fix your skinned knuckles. 850's engine bay is like working on the old farm tractors, in comparison to the room of the 351W, especially if you have big hands.

C70: they are great little cars. I am not sure your budget, but Volvo cars got progressively worse from 1998 to 2005. A friend of mine from NJ rented a C70 in Florida's Keys recently. Came back and bought one. This forum and Volvospeed should have nice "What to look for" articles.

I live in NYC, but I am in CT (Clinton) all the time. We go to Crystal Mall for shopping often. I lived in CT (Hartford area) for a short while in the 90s. I think the state was worse then.

I don't think I ever heard of Autowerkes as a parts house, but on these boards FCP and IPD dominate in supplying things to people.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help on the odometer issue. Yes. 22k in repairs is a lot...but, I truly believe this guy just simply said "yes" to absolutely everything the dealer suggested. Some of the $$$ was for all the schedulers maintenance (like clockwork) and tires, brakes, other maintenance etc. I look at it as good because a lot of high $$$ stuff is new.

On another note, I did more research, I see yo own a 850 T-5R. I understand they are incredible cars. How is yours? Fast? Faster then the GLT? I would love to find one in good shape.

Thanks again for your help...
Sounds like a good deal to me . The turbo and T-5R and the R models are the step above the GLT, The turbo model makes 225hp, The T-5R (95) and the R (96-97) make 240hp with the auto and 250hp with the manual all using a high pressure turbo, the 97 GLT makes 193 hp using a low pressure turbo, but still a decent setup

Last edited by rspi; 03-27-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs up The T-5R is faster...

On another note, I did more research, I see you own a 850 T-5R. I understand they are incredible cars. How is yours? Fast? Faster then the GLT? I would love to find one in good shape.
Yes my T-5R is in good shape, other than the tires. I have 3 damaged tires and need to get a good set. The car is faster than our GLT past 60, but has a firmer ride. Also the GLT has a softer touch which makes it a more comfortable daily driver. I'm hoping that the T-5R's will begin to see value increase in the next year of two. For how nice the cars are, and how rare they are, I'm surprised how cheap they are.

The low pressure turbo in the GLT has better use of the torque which makes it more useful in daily use. The 180 lbs of torque is there at 1800 rpms, where as the 220 hp on the T-5's is there at 5,200 rpms. So, I believe the GLT may get from 0-60 mph in about the same amount of time, after that you can really tell the difference.

When you say that you like to tinker, I assume you mean that you can do a lot of your own maintenance. That will turn out to be a good thing for you, with an older car.

If you are considering getting a C70, try to get a '98 model without the ETC. If not that trim, get one built after 2001. The main complaint I read about is stuff with certain drop tops.

Last edited by rspi; 03-27-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: addition