Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

First trip with my "new" 96 854 T5 - some comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First trip with my "new" 96 854 T5 - some comments

I bought a 96 854 T5 a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend I drove about 900 kms to a relative's wedding party. Here are my comments:

1) Fuel consumption
2 adults + 2 kids + light luggage + A/C on all the time + full gas tank
New tires - good tire pressure
Tests done using cruise control, not a windy day, flat terrain
Oil change done on the same day - New air filter
Temperature was 34º C - not humid
21 MPG at 88 mph (140 km/h)
24 MPG at 75 mph (120 km/h)
27 MPG at 62 mph (100 km/h)
38 MPG at 56 mph (90 km/h) driving stuck behind a huge truck

I'm not very satisfied with the fuel consumption. My Cirrus had a 2.5L V6 and it did 24 mpg at 140km/h under similar conditions.

2) Suspension
I could feel every single pothole and even the paint on the highway. Something is definitely wrong with the suspension. If I continue driving with a screwed up suspension, then it will eat my new Michelins. The dashboard was vibrating like hell every time the car went over any irregular terrain, or even highway lane paint.

3) Air conditioning
I have Electronic Climate Control, both sides set at 19ºC, Recirculation ON and the rest on auto. After a couple of hours (when it got really hot outside) the A/C stopped sending cold air. The two yellow lights were NOT blinking, so theoretically there are no codes. I shut it off for a while and about 10 mins later I turned it back on. It started working again and about half an hour later it stopped working. When we stopped for lunch on the highway I checked under the car. Beside the front right wheel, close to the bumper, a component was rock frozen!! I am attaching a picture. What is this frozen component? After we left the restaurant I verified that the freezing component was back to normal, and so was the A/C which worked fine for another 2 hours. When we reached our destination, I checked and it was frozen again!!!

4) Wind noise
Over 130 km/h a strong wind noise comes from somewhere between the top of the windshield and the sunroof. The plastic strip that is stuck to the top of the windshield is sort of loose. Maybe that is vibrating at high speeds. I am also attaching a picture. The antenna is way too noisy. The car deserves a windshield antenna to reduce wind noise.

5) Cruise control
My previous car was a 98 Chrsyler Cirrus LXi. The 850's cruise control is definitely different. On the 850 I have to press the up button longer for it to engage, and when I press Resume it does not try to recover speed in 5 seconds like the Cirrus did. I like it better on the 850 because it does not waste so much fuel to Resume.

6) Trip computer
The trip computer display is too dark, even with the dash lights maxed out. Some of the switches have the backlight burned too (sun roof, emergency lights).
The instant mpg indicator is very useful.

7) Audio system
I have an SC811 with a 6 CD changer. The radio works fine, except for the backlight on the display. After 6pm I can't read the display because it's too dark. The 6CD changer doesn't eject the magazine. The Volvo guys told me not to spend a single cent on the CD changer. "Get rid of the double din SC811 and the CD changer. Get a new single din MP3 player, an iPod controller, and use the extra DIN for something useful. The antenna mast is screwed up too.

8) Cup holders
WTF was Volvo thinking when they decided not to include cup holders?

9) Missing third break light
WTF was Volvo thinking when they decided not to include a third stop light. I can't believe that's optional.

10) Interior lights
The switch that controls the map lights has three positions: ON, OFF, DOOR. I want it to stay in DOOR so the interior lights turn on when you open the door. The switch is real cheapo plastic and it's worn out, so it will only stay in OFF position. The Volvo repair shop wants to replace the whole unit for a rip off price, so for now, no interior lights.
The lights for the back seats do not work if I put the switch in DOOR position and open the door. They do work if I put the switch in ON. Faulty door sensor?

11) Engine power
Nice! Very nice! Definitely the most powerful engine I've had. Eats a lot of gas and tires if you don't control yourself ))) Too bad the exhaust is so noisy. When you floor the car it will push you

12) Trunk
It's huge, huge, huge! Did I forget to say it's huge? Where are the trunk lights? Does this car have any?

13) Front beams
Haven't tested them yet during the night. I am thinking of getting new blue lights. Any recommendation?

14) Fog lights on the front spoiler
Seem to be very small. I don't think they will really help in the fog. Probably some yellow Hella lamps would be much better, like the Peugeot's have.

15) Integrated kid booster seat
My kids love it. I love the fact that it saves a lot of space. I can comfortable transport two adults and a child in the back, all buckled up.

16) Front seat belts
They come off way too easily! It's just a matter of lightly pressing the red release button and the buckle will release. Is there something wrong with these buckles or what?

17) Sunroof
Works fine, a bit noisy because I need to clean the mechanism and lubricate it. No leaks! The weatherstrip is pretty good condition for a 10 year old car. My kids love the sun roof!

18) ABS (no TRACS) failure
ABS failure indicator is on. It goes off sometimes, but it is on 80% of the time. The module will be replaced this week, paid by the car dealership theat sold me the car. I have tried slamming the brakes when the failure indicator is off and the ABS definitely is not working.

19) Emission system (lambda) sensor light is on
Two different Volvo shops have diagnosed a failed Evaporative Canister Purge Valve, which will be replaced by the dealership.

20) Passenger seat regulation
My wife complained that the seat will recline easily, but not go forward. I tried it myself and going forward requires jumping a bit while you pull the left lever. Is this normal or is the mechanism worn out?

21) Driver electric seat with 3 memories
Wonderful! Never had a car with this optional. The Cirrus had electrical seat, but no memories. The seat works fine. I will clean it and lubricate it.

22) Keyless entry remote for Guard Alarm II
I received the car with only one key and remote. Volvo wants to charge me USD 250 for an extra set (P/N 9442981 fob and P/N 9447946 key). I have seen similar remotes on eBay
but I am not sure they will work. I am attaching a picture of the remote. It looks like the expensive one sold on eBay, but there is no FCC sticker on the back. Volvo guys here say that none of the remotes in my country have stickers since remotes do not need local FCC-equivalent certification. So, there is no way to know if one of the eBay remotes will work. Please note that the button 1 is for lock/unlock and button 2 is for panic. The ones on eBay are 1=Lock/Panic and 2=Unlock. I was happy to hear that the key does not have a transponder inside, so it can be copied anywhere. I hate transponder keys!

23) License plate lights
Dead. Are they easy to change?

24) Floor clearance
The distance to the floor is waaaay too low for my country's roads. Is there any way to protect my oil carter and other bottom components? They are too exposed to rocks and pot holes, specially considering the condition my suspension is in.

25) Timing belt
The Volvo shop says that it is not possible to know if the correct timing belt has 142 teeth (P/N 274338) or 148 teeth (P/N 272327). However, on the net I see that for a 57 engine the correct timing belt is 272327. Any help?

Overall I'm happy with my new 854, but I would like to sort out all the details quickly. My wife hates the car, she says it's a funeral car. Tough luck!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First trip with my "new" 96 854 T5 - some comments

If I had time right now I would write more. The fuel consumption looks about right though. It's better than what I am getting in either of my cars, but not quite as good as I got in the 94 850 Turbo I owned previously. The only other comment I have is that you have to remember that this is an 11 year old car. It's no longer a new car, and you can not expect it to be in perfect condition at that age. They do ride a little rough, but at that age it probably needs struts and shocks, but it will still not ride like a friggin Cadilac. It rides like a Volvo and has a feel for the road.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) Suspension
I could feel every single pothole and even the paint on the highway. Something is definitely wrong with the suspension. If I continue driving with a screwed up suspension, then it will eat my new Michelins. The dashboard was vibrating like hell every time the car went over any irregular terrain, or even highway lane paint.
I have the same problem. I will be working on the suspension this summer. Run searches on the various Volvo boards for ideas.

3) Air conditioning
I have Electronic Climate Control, both sides set at 19ºC, Recirculation ON and the rest on auto. After a couple of hours (when it got really hot outside) the A/C stopped sending cold air. The two yellow lights were NOT blinking, so theoretically there are no codes. I shut it off for a while and about 10 mins later I turned it back on. It started working again and about half an hour later it stopped working. When we stopped for lunch on the highway I checked under the car. Beside the front right wheel, close to the bumper, a component was rock frozen!! I am attaching a picture. What is this frozen component? After we left the restaurant I verified that the freezing component was back to normal, and so was the A/C which worked fine for another 2 hours. When we reached our destination, I checked and it was frozen again!!!
The Freon level in your A/C system is low. Have the Evaporator under your dash checked for leaks. Also, become familiar with FCP Groten, CT. They have a cabin filter kit that is easy to retrofit on your car. Rumour has it that a filter will extend the life of your new Evaporator.

6) Trip computer
The trip computer display is too dark, even with the dash lights maxed out. Some of the switches have the backlight burned too (sun roof, emergency lights).
The instant mpg indicator is very useful.
I replaced most of the bulbs behind my switches. Run a search on my post that I made around OCT '05.

7) Audio system
I have an SC811 with a 6 CD changer. The radio works fine, except for the backlight on the display. After 6pm I can't read the display because it's too dark. The 6CD changer doesn't eject the magazine. The Volvo guys told me not to spend a single cent on the CD changer. "Get rid of the double din SC811 and the CD changer. Get a new single din MP3 player, an iPod controller, and use the extra DIN for something useful. The antenna mast is screwed up too.
I have heard of folks running a MP3 player with their stock Volvo stereo.

8) Cup holders
WTF was Volvo thinking when they decided not to include cup holders?
I have two under the center console between the seats. And one on each rear door. All from...
http://www.ipdusa.com

9) Missing third break light
WTF was Volvo thinking when they decided not to include a third stop light. I can't believe that's optional.
Volvo(s) do have a third stop light. Mine is missing from the rear glass like yours. Mine is located on my rear spoiler. The previous owner sold your original rear spoiler. Consider purchasing a new one from a 1996/97 850-R. Or to be different, purchase a smaller one from a 1995 Turbo/T-5R.

10) Interior lights
The switch that controls the map lights has three positions: ON, OFF, DOOR. I want it to stay in DOOR so the interior lights turn on when you open the door. The switch is real cheapo plastic and it's worn out, so it will only stay in OFF position. The Volvo repair shop wants to replace the whole unit for a rip off price, so for now, no interior lights.
The lights for the back seats do not work if I put the switch in DOOR position and open the door. They do work if I put the switch in ON. Faulty door sensor?
Most lights are activated by a ground switch. Constant 12V power at light bulb -- bulb lights when the circuit is completed with a ground switch. Clean door switches.

11) Engine power
Nice! Very nice! Definitely the most powerful engine I've had. Eats a lot of gas and tires if you don't control yourself ))) Too bad the exhaust is so noisy. When you floor the car it will push you
Browser various Volvo boards. Purchase a new downpipe, free-flow Magna Cat Convertor, and Borla Muffler. Purchase prebent mandrel bends and flanges. Have an exhaust shop make an exhaust system for you.

17) Sunroof
Works fine, a bit noisy because I need to clean the mechanism and lubricate it. No leaks! The weatherstrip is pretty good condition for a 10 year old car. My kids love the sun roof!
Don't use WD-40 near rubber parts. Use silicon spray instead.

23) License plate lights
Dead. Are they easy to change?
Yep

Overall I'm happy with my new 854, but I would like to sort out all the details quickly. My wife hates the car, she says it's a funeral car. Tough luck!
Drain and refill automatic trans with Dexron III as soon as possible. Do it again within 5K miles.

Replace thermostat with 87C/190F from FCP Groten, CT Replace Engine Coolant Temp sensor, as well. Browse my post from around DEC '05.

Remember your power steering system does NOT use power steering fluid. Some folks say that it is ATF Type F. Others say that it is DEXRON III. I don't think that it matters. Just do NOT use generic Power Steering fluid.

[/quote]

Old 03-08-2006, 01:04 AM

all the key fobs were lost on my 1996 car so i went to keylessride.com got a key fob for 40 some odd dollers. Screw the dealer on this one

Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

2.Get the front suspension checked including the struts,Spring seats,Sway Bar links.
The Dash noise might be broken Mounting tabs.

3.Like I already said replace the Low Pressure switch

4.Have the Sunroof Checked for proper Adjustment.

5.There might be a pin hole in the plastic hose from the Cruise motor or the Switch above the brake pedal might need adjustment.

6.Replace the light bulb for it.

7.Check for power at the changer before Junking it.

8.Depending on the Model you might have some that come out the front of the Console lid.

9.In the U.S. market it was not an option. Has been part of the car here since like 1986. The light might have been removed.

10.Look for used switch panels for all the ones that don't work. The rear ones wear out to.

12.You should have a trunk light. Look up under pnce you open the trunk on the metal by the speakers.You will have to position the switch to the on position.

13.Alot of people like the Silver Star bulbs.

16. The latches are most likely that way from being worn.

18.Most likely the module.

19. Is it the Lamba light or Check engine light?

20.Lube the seat tracks and see if it helps.

22. Not really sure about the remote. Any might still program to the car.

23.A couple of screws and you are to the bulbs. The pull out.

24. Check some aftermarket Websites. There is company's that sell them. Here in the U.S. there is a company called IPD and they sell them.

25.Sometimes it is very hard to tell by looking at just the Belt. But they should have access to the Same info you did.

The 850's are pretty good cars.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your help.

I got the ABS module changed (not at my expense thank God).

I will be travelling this week, so I'll continue the maintenance when I get home.

Next thing on the list is the timing belt. I have a 57 engine (B5234T). Do you know if the timing belt has 142 teeth or 148? The official repair shop said that he had to open the timing belt cover to be sure, but that sounded like BS to me.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Im not sure you would have to check under the cover. It goes by what tensioner setup you have.
The hydrolic tensioner takes one belt and the manual tensioner takes another.

You should have the hydrolic tensioner. Im not sure how many teeth it is though.

Most of the belts I do have marking on it to match to the new belt.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 AM

Mate ! Replace a wife !