Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

FMIC options

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC options

Basically, I'm cheap. So I'm curious....

Has anybody adapted an OE intercooler from another vehicle for use as a fmic? I'm looking on craigslist and seeing a bunch of intercoolers cheap....thunderbird sc, wrx, lancer, various turbo trucks, etc.

I've got a car with a light front end hit, so I'll be doing some front end work. I've got a cross country bumper I plan to use, and I need an intercooler, so my plan is to cut out an opening in between the fake push-bar pads on the xc bumper and mount an intercooler there.

For what it's worth, the brace that's welded between the frame rails, in front of the radiator, is bent. The guy hit a pole. It bent in and damaged the condenser, intercooler, and radiator. I'm debating cutting it out and fabricating a crossbar/brace, at which point I'd build into it some mounting points for whatever IC I use.

Just curious if anybody has gone a custom route with another brands OE part.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fmic? Dude, what kind of monster are you building? What's your whp goal?

Is this the start of your build thread?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

I don't know that I have any specific goals yet. I just like to be prepared. As long as I'm tearing the front end apart....right?

As for build threads, I was gonna ask about that. Most other forums I'm on have a specific category for them. I haven't seen one here. Lots of "how to" kinda stuff, but not many builds.

Where should they go? In the category for the specific model? The car in question is a '98 V70, which is really just a rebadged 850. If I put it in the category for early V70's, that's like living in a ghost town.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mudpie
I don't know that I have any specific goals yet. I just like to be prepared. As long as I'm tearing the front end apart....right?

As for build threads, I was gonna ask about that. Most other forums I'm on have a specific category for them. I haven't seen one here. Lots of "how to" kinda stuff, but not many builds.

Where should they go? In the category for the specific model? The car in question is a '98 V70, which is really just a rebadged 850. If I put it in the category for early V70's, that's like living in a ghost town.
Yeah I hear you; this site doesn't really have a category for performance mod threads; mostly it's here in the 850 bin because that's what many/most people mod i guess. If you're gonna get into some serious mods, should probably look here anyway..
Performance Modifications - Volvospeed Forums

Ouch; don't go insulting the V70 folks!!

But seriously, figure out what you're trying to build first. Sure you'll change your mind along the way, but you should have a target (even if it moves..).

Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

There are several methods or types of IC's you can use. Its just a matter of where you want to put it. Most put it in the lower section, some have cut, shaved and customized to put one in the horn area. Its really up to you and how much work you are looking for.

But be warned, if you are doing this because you think it will net you some HP this is the wrong thinking. The OE intercooler is plenty good even for moderate HP gains. You only need to change it if your going to be pushing some serious air.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
Ouch; don't go insulting the V70 folks!!
Both of them?

Seriously, I dread the day somebody moves my thread to the V70 section. It's where threads go to die. For now, I'll pretend it's an 850.

I know having a plan would be a good thing, but I'm also a fan of altering direction on a whim. Very often my plans change based solely on what car my local wrecking yard just got in stock. They're two blocks from the shop. That's the main reason I purchased my two current project cars. That, combined with Craigslist, and my plans are often doomed.

I don't have any delusions about a fmic, and what it will or won't do on a stock car. I do want to do the typical turbo & exhaust upgrades, so as long as I'm working on the front end, why not be prepared for those upgrades, right?

I suppose if I had to pick a target, I could live with a 300 hp 5 speed wagon. That would be cool. Until I get to 300, and then I'll wonder why I aimed so low, right? At that point, I'll be thinking "why didn't I put in a nice intercooler when I had the front all apart?"

So, this is what it looked like when I bought it....

And this is what it looks like underneath that banged up metal and plastic...

The radiator and the A/C condensor were both punctured. The intercooler actually seems ok, but it's not flat any more. I just want to get it on the road right now, until I can get the 5 speed swap done in my 850. I'm just going to yank the crossbrace out semi-straight, and put the intercooler and a radiator in it so I can drive it. The A/C is going to be deleted.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM

And what it's supposed to look like.

I don't know if I'll just drill out the welds on one at the wrecking yard, and replace mine, or build a custom brace. It's seems structurally like a pretty lightweight piece, compared to that big aluminum plank behind the bumper cover. I'm guessing it's just there to bolt the radiator to, and that fiberglass headlight / radiator frame.