Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Gas tank door does not open

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank door does not open

95' 850 GLT Wagon (non-turbo)

Tech,

Need your advice and help one more time. The Fuel tank door does not open. How can I fix the problem on a temporary basis first and then permanently.

Regards

Old 02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Gas tank door does not open

Open the trunk on the right side by where you would replace the brake light bulbs.There should be a metal rod that is looped like an o on the end if you pull on that it should unlock the fuel door.You might have to search for it or pull back on the panel to see it.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:54 PM

Tech to the rescue.

Thank you, I now tank full of gas.

The lock will lock but not unlock. What do you think are my choices:

1. Replace the lock, do you know how much it will cost? How much effort is it?
2. Disable the lock as the door has a spring. I can just block the lever from coming out or is there a more elegant way to disable it.

Your advice will help.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Administrator

You can replace the lock your self it won't take you that long.Im not sure of the price of the lock.If you want you can pull back the panel and unplug the lock motor for now so it wont lock.I believe the lock is bad.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:13 PM

Thank you.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM

What will loose if I disable the lock?

Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Your welcome anytime[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM

Guptash,

Were you able to fix your gas tank door lock? Now I have the same problem.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problem, then the Volvo Gods shined upon me and now it works again... So, maybe... Incense? What do swedes sacrifice? Windmills? No... Thats the dutch... Volvos? Hah

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 AM

I would try lubricating the lock from the outside where the pin goes in and out into the door doing lock/unlock activity few times. As you metioned that it locks - that means the pin will come down/out when you lock it and then you can spray some lubricant on it and then push on it with you finger while unlocking the car. This might solve the problem if its just some friction issue.
Good luck

Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM

I have had this problem for 12 of the 15 years since I bought my 850 new in 1993. I have fixed the problem by GENTLY bending the latch loop(on the gas tank door)towards the front of the car. Every six months or so this little fix needs doing. I did manage to train my wife, daughter and son on the little behind the panel emergency wire loop too.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM

The previous owner of the '93 850 I just bought (my first Volvo) solved the gas filler door problem by prying it open and breaking off the little lock loop on the door — unfortunately, in the process also broke the plastic hinge. But fortunately I have the door and will soon have the new hinge on and my door operating, without a lock (though I did discover the lock pin and see that it works when I use the key to lock/unlock the trunk. So why did they pry the darn thing open? Who knows. Maybe they were out somewhere sans gas and had no technical info source. You do what you need to do to get going. Do we really need the lock? I bought a locking gas cap in 1973 when the price of gas skyrocketed, but those were the days of the open pipe fillers; it's not so easy to stick a siphon tube down the new ones.

Couldn't find an under-engine cover (except new) so today picked up a 2 x 4 foot sheet of 1/8 inch ABS poly (about $8.00), which is apparently what they make those components from. Can I make my own? This weekend, we'll see.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM

The previous owner of the '93 850 I just bought (my first Volvo) solved the gas filler door problem by prying it open and breaking off the little lock loop on the door — unfortunately, in the process also broke the plastic hinge. But fortunately I have the door and will soon have the new hinge on and my door operating, without a lock (though I did discover the lock pin and see that it works when I use the key to lock/unlock the trunk. So why did they pry the darn thing open? Who knows. Maybe they were out somewhere sans gas and had no technical info source. You do what you need to do to get going. Do we really need the lock? I bought a locking gas cap in 1973 when the price of gas skyrocketed, but those were the days of the open pipe fillers; it's not so easy to stick a siphon tube down the new ones.

Couldn't find an under-engine cover (except new) so today picked up a 2 x 4 foot sheet of 1/8 inch ABS poly (about $8.00), which is apparently what they make those components from. Can I make my own? This weekend, we'll see.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM

KubilayK,

I followed tech's advice and that fixed the problem for me. So do as he recommends in this thread.