Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Gas Tank Problem: Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Problem: Leaking?

Ok.

My Gas mileage is absolutely horrible (19.6 right now). Granted, I take a lot of short trips but it's really raelly bad. And it just seems that I go through gas at an absolutely alarming rate (I don't think the gauge is accurate).

Now this is my problem, when I fill up gas, once I am full and the pump clicks (to shut off the very last amount of gas), gas seems to come out of the gas tank. So I will be filling my gas and then once I am full, it goes boom/click and then on the ground, there is a small puddle of gas. Not so much as there is standing gas, but there is a huge gas mark (size of a disposable plate). Is there some type of problem here?

Thanks,
-Jimmy

Edit: I'd also like to add that I don't see anything on the ground when I park in the garage so it's not on the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking the tank isn't connect right, but if that were true, I should have a CEL light because there wouldn't be correct pressure.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Gas Tank Problem: Leaking?

Look on the tank and see if it is stained from gas leaking.

There is a hose that is known to crack and leak fuel out of.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Look on the tank and see if it is stained from gas leaking.

There is a hose that is known to crack and leak fuel out of.
How do I do that?

Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the gas tank filler hose, follow the hose that goes from the tank to where you put in the gas

Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 PM

So get under the car and try to follow it?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator

If you look at the tank you should be able to see if it was leaking.
If it is check on the top on the passenger side there is a pretty big hose and a smaller hose and a really big hose for the filler. The meduim hose is the one that usually cracks.

Sometimes it cracks where you can see it by the side of the tank.
Other times it cracks where it attaches to the tank.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 PM

If you look at the tank you should be able to see if it was leaking.
If it is check on the top on the passenger side there is a pretty big hose and a smaller hose and a really big hose for the filler. The meduim hose is the one that usually cracks.

Sometimes it cracks where you can see it by the side of the tank.
Other times it cracks where it attaches to the tank.
Ok, this si going to sound dumb as hell, but how do I look at the tank?

Do you mean just open up the gas "door" (I don't know the proper name) and then see if there is gas? Because if so, there is none, but there is a slight gas smell...

Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

No you have to climb under the car and look at the tank itself.
It is located pretty much between the 2 rear wheels. Look for a stain on the tank.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 PM

No you have to climb under the car and look at the tank itself.
It is located pretty much between the 2 rear wheels. Look for a stain on the tank.
Ok, I climbed under there. Hoses didn't look to be stained from hoses or whatever.

However, I left the car on for like 3-4 minutes in my garage and there is a very very strong gas smell...

Gas still seems to be getting used at an alarming rate. I'm definetely not getting 19.5 as my guage indicates. I swear my gas is disappearing....

Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland (a foot/30cm of snow).

Have you checked the evaporative emissions systems, especially the charcoal canister? You might want to check the canister itself, as well as all hoses attached to it for cracks/loose connections.

If you don't see puddle of gas or obvious leak, it is probably the evaporative emissions systems problem, or fuel control system that's dumping fuel in the combustion chamber. Even if the CEL is off, check to see if there are codes stored.

This sounds dumb, but does the car carry excessive cargo, tire pressure correct, and alignment has been done in the last 3 years? These factors do affect fuel consumption rate, though not as much as you describe.

Additionally, cold engine uses more fuel, is your temp gage reading 3 O'clock position at normal operating temp?

Lastly, are routine tune-up items replaced in the last 3-5 years? (plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, air filter, fuel filter, etc...)

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 12-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Administrator

If you smeel gas bad it is leaking from somewhere.

You might also want to pull the cover in the trunk and see if it is leaking from the sending unit.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

Greetings from Chicagoland (a foot/30cm of snow).

Have you checked the evaporative emissions systems, especially the charcoal canister? You might want to check the canister itself, as well as all hoses attached to it for cracks/loose connections.

If you don't see puddle of gas or obvious leak, it is probably the evaporative emissions systems problem, or fuel control system that's dumping fuel in the combustion chamber. Even if the CEL is off, check to see if there are codes stored.

This sounds dumb, but does the car carry excessive cargo, tire pressure correct, and alignment has been done in the last 3 years? These factors do affect fuel consumption rate, though not as much as you describe.

Additionally, cold engine uses more fuel, is your temp gage reading 3 O'clock position at normal operating temp?

Lastly, are routine tune-up items replaced in the last 3-5 years? (plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, air filter, fuel filter, etc...)

I hope this helps.

JPN
I should check on that. I'll try to rent a unit to read codes if it's possible.

No excessive cargo, pressure might need to be adjusted, alignment seems good.

I drive real close to school which is like 3-4 miles away and I use a cold engine a lot. So that might be it.

Retine Maintenance i'm not sure about, I just got the car 2-3 months ago. However, on carfax, it was taken to the dealer every 4k miles.

My gas milage just seems really bad and I'm not driving much. In 1 week i've used 6 gallons...???

Maybe it's just my head playing tricks on me, but for some reason i don't think im getting as much as my guage reads...

Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again,

Is your 850 a turbo model? If so, turbocharged engines use more fuel than N/A engines.

I seem to get poor gas mileage too, as I do short commute trips everyday (about the same range as yours). My fuel level pointer drops really quickly after filling up, but then stays at about 12 gallon mark for a while, then slowly drops again.

I've seen many people trying to top off the fuel tank, after the gas station pump shuts off. There is nothing good about topping off the tank, as this is a formula for over-spillage (especially in hot climate). However, 1-2 times may be ok but no more.

Lastly, Volvo's are made of heavy-gauge steel and they are really heavy, so it may be another reason for the quick fuel consumption. One time my 850 quit on me due to failed alternator, and I could not push the car off the road by myself. It is that heavy.

Anyway, I wish you luck in improved fuel economy. Also, you could try a bottle of fuel system cleaner, though I am not sure if they are actually effective, but it sure does ease your mind.

Best wishes,

JPN

Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 AM

Yeah. Turboed.

Maybe cold engine + cold weather + turbo is doing it.
Imma go get the tire pressure adjusted next weekend.

Still am confused as to why the fuel comes out tho....

Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 AM

I replaced my fuel pump a few months ago and since then every time we put gas in the car.. you get a smell inside the car. Per the guys on here, I bought a crappy one and could be going. My gas mileage is also crappy in the CITY. Maybe change your fuel filter? When was the last time you did a pump? Making any noises?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Volvo had a recall in 1996 for some 850's. I had the same problem and did all the checks mentioned in this post and could not find the problem, took my car to a local Volvo shop and they smoke tested and rechecked everything and could not find the problem, so the tech went on line and found the recall. Sure enough, I called the dealership and gave them my VIN and my car had not been in for the recall. The recall had to do with the heat shield on the tank. Long story short, I am getting a whole new tank and lines for free thanks to the dealer.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Lucky you both of my cars werent leaking there.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Hm........I had this problem before but I went in for the recall. Do you think they'd do this post recall?

It sucks because after the recall, my fuel pump died...

Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

When they inspect the heatsheild if the tank is cracked around the sheild mountings they will replace it.