Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help keep Aaron on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM
VJZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help keep Aaron on the road

Scratch the previous thread.

I need some SERIOUS and thoughtful help, input, advice, and anything else you can throw at me.

Background for newbs:

My 94 850 turbo developed a tick while driving into my girlfriend's apartment complex.

Its apparent, and doesn't seem to be going away.

I changed the oil and added one quart of Lucas. Didn't help.

I DO NOT want to get rid of this car, but part of me also wonders that if I keep it and drive it through the winter, will it blow up?

I can't drive my Celica in the winter. Its in essentially pristine condition and needs to stay that way.

But I can't afford to fix the 850 right now.

I will post a video to YouTube tomorrow of my car, that way you can get a better idea of the sound.

If you all think its a lifter, how hard and expensive of a job am I looking at?

I will be the first to say that I am not very good with working on cars. Not bad, but not very good. I have friends who can help. I'm also scared that if I try to fix it, something will go bad.

I have heard cars have ticking that have had the same noise for YEARS. But I just don't know.

Driving home tonight, cruising at 65 on the highway, I fell back in love with it. I don't know why I love these cars. The interiors are horribly constructed, they're ugly and plain. The outside is okay looking. It looks like...just a car. But that's not the point with 850 owners, you know? its always something about it I suppose. I love the way this one handles, even with **** tires.

But I need reliability, and not waiting for a blown engine.

Its so hard not to want to roast the tires on this thing. The overboost issue prevents me from that as well.

I'd appreciate some heartfelt thoughts and ideas, and any help is appreciated.

I don't want to get away from this car, but I need some help from everyone.

Thanks guys

Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 PM

how loud is this tick? it sounds like it might be the normal lifter tick we all get.

post a video so we know what it actually is.

i have a slew of parts that i can sell you for cheep to help you out.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
VJZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4HPMbwU04

Its almost like this, but throughout the powerband sort of.

What about the engine restore stuff?

I keep reading people in my searches using it and it going away.

That's the thing is that this car--aside from the noise--runs SOOOOOOOO smooth.

Before the tick, if you stood 15 feet away you couldn't hear it run. That is how smooth it was.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:38 PM

i had this same thing. i used restore for two oil changes now and it quieted back down, basically gone now.

i would recommend restore. it comes in cans of 4cyl, 6 cyl, and 8 cyl. i use the 6 cyl can. you *could* use the 8 cyl can if you wanted more of it i guess. i couldnt see it doing any damage.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
VJZ

A tick is going to be upper engine (head).

It ain't a lower end noise. No knocking. Just an annoying tick that pisses me off.

I like having a car that no one else has. And around here, no one has a modded 850. Hell, there aren't many around here anyway.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

VJZ,

The T-5R I bought had the exact same problem so the guy (thinking the engine was toast) sold it. I was able to talk him down because the clatter was so loud that it was scary. In the back of my mind I knew a little secret and was not scared of what I heard.

I bought the car and took it home. Here is the little secret...Add a court of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) to the engine oil. Its viscosity is very thin and it contains additives that will break up the stuck lifters. It took about 45 seconds and my engine was running silent. I left it in there for a few days starting the engine now and then and letting it cycle the oil then shuting it off. When done I changed the oil to some cheap stuff, ran it for a day then changed again to Mobile one.

Bottom line - Perfectly quiet engine.

You have stuck lifters, thats what it sounds like to me. This is the same engine I took the the drag strip Saturday.

Last edited by boxpin; 10-20-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
VJZ

Damn!

I've been lagging on the video. Been busy with midterms and had a 23 page paper slammed on us in one of my classes as a "surprise."

Working on it this weekend.

I may try the ATF trick.

Now, as of the past few days, the sound has disappeared at start up but is present after warming up. Or, sometimes it just doesn't come back.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every time I see this thread I think it's like a fund raiser or something. haha. Like we're supposed to send money somewhere.