Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

hydraulic lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
All of BoxPin's tunes are under his pic and above his YouTube links. I'm one of his HATERS (confused admirers)
I think those runs were before his tune... But yeah, Im jealous when I look at the pics of the things he is doing.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks man.l will do that and let you know the outcome. l really appreciate ur time and help.thanks

Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM

he is really smart.how did he learn all these.cool.l might end up his hater too.llol

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Angry hydraulic lifter noise

ok guys, l did an oil change today but did the ATF treatment before draining and filling it with new oil. my lifters are still making the knocking noise.what do you guys think l should do next because this is very annoying.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad to say that you may have to crack that motor and replace a few lifters. When you go in there you may want to replace all of them. Not sure how to test to see if the others are weak or not.

Also, do you know if the PO used dino oil or synthetic? I'm on this kick and would like to know. I like to believe that a motor will NOT have any internal issues if synthetic is used. Trying to kill that myth.

When you do crack the motor, take a few pics and let us know if you see any sludge.

Last edited by rspi; 01-10-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM

do know of any link that has the tutorials on how to change the lifters? and will that hurt the motor if left unchecked?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Not sure if it does damage or not. It surely stresses something else if it's not doing it's job. The big thing to me is that you should check everything in that drive train if you're going to have it off for that problem. My guess is that they simply pull out once you get the cam out of the way.

While in there you'll need to check the valves and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if the car has a valve cover that comes off without taking pressure off the entire head. If the valve cover can be removed and the head left on (still has torqued bolts in it), then the job won't be as bad. But if you have to take bolts out that secure the head then you should go forward with replacing the head gasket to.

Check a few threads that talk about head gasket replacement and you should be able to see if you have to pull bolts out of the head when you remove the valve cover.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM

do l have to remove the spark pugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap, and the bolts on top of the head?do l have to remove the seperten belt and the timing belt to take off the head?whats your suggestion?thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM

l bet IPD have the valve in stock.where do you think l can get it?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator

I doubt you will get a lifter out without removing the cam. So, everything that you have to take off to get the cam out will have to be removed. Check out this write up. It's in the DIY sticky.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ts-pics-44879/

Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 PM

thats too much work for me right now as its cold outside.l might wait till summer to tackle that. if not l will just let it be.volvo engines are strong enough to hold up for a long time.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 PM

ok problem solved.changed all the lifters.now sounds quiet like a sleeping angel.thanks to the help from you guys.you guys are the best. thanks to RSPI and 058ovlov for talking me through the process.thank you.
from this
to that.

and that

Last edited by slimflex2; 07-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're quite lucky; I have the same noise and it remains after I replaced the lifters

I noticed in the first video the engine do a little dance, like someone was jacking it up from below. Looks like you need some engine mounts ASAP.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by vjaneczko
You're quite lucky; I have the same noise and it remains after I replaced the lifters

I noticed in the first video the engine do a little dance, like someone was jacking it up from below. Looks like you need some engine mounts ASAP.
too bad the noise is back again. it was quiet till l changed my oil,now this is what it does, it knocks real hard and gets very quiet and knocks real hard and gets quiet.l called FCP and told them about this.l think the Set of lifters l got was not good.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by vjaneczko

what did you do next?did you sell the car or you still have it? are your lifters still knocking?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's quiet when it starts up it's because the oil is physically thicker before it starts to warm up. You could try going to a thicker oil or even a straight weight oil like a 40 or 50 weight during the summer. It would be more of a test as you'd have to revert to something thinner come fall.

If it's quiet when it starts up it's likely you have very worn bearings or lifters that can't stay pumped up once the oil gets thinner. Compression reading wouldn't hurt but it may not really direct you to the problem.

Lucas injector cleaner would be a very good thing to do. As for the marvel the problem is that if you had a sticky lifter it "should", should be sticky from the time you start it until you shut it down. If it's quiet at first it's likely NOT a lifter that is sticky. It could just be normal wear and clearances that are too large for the oil to fill properly.

Did the ticking or knocking come on abruptly??
Have you had it long and have you regularly changed oil and filter??
What weight oil are you running and is it a synthetic or ??

The other thing that would be really important to know is the oil pressure. You might be losing pressure as the temp builds and the oil gets thinner. It could be a bad pump, a bad oil pressure relief valve or spring or for an 850 there are seals in the pan that can wear out and allow some of the flow to bleed off so the engine isn't getting what the pump is pushing out.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=11256

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
If it's quiet when it starts up it's because the oil is physically thicker before it starts to warm up. You could try going to a thicker oil or even a straight weight oil like a 40 or 50 weight during the summer. It would be more of a test as you'd have to revert to something thinner come fall.

If it's quiet when it starts up it's likely you have very worn bearings or lifters that can't stay pumped up once the oil gets thinner. Compression reading wouldn't hurt but it may not really direct you to the problem.

Lucas injector cleaner would be a very good thing to do. As for the marvel the problem is that if you had a sticky lifter it "should", should be sticky from the time you start it until you shut it down. If it's quiet at first it's likely NOT a lifter that is sticky. It could just be normal wear and clearances that are too large for the oil to fill properly.

Did the ticking or knocking come on abruptly??
Have you had it long and have you regularly changed oil and filter??
What weight oil are you running and is it a synthetic or ??

The other thing that would be really important to know is the oil pressure. You might be losing pressure as the temp builds and the oil gets thinner. It could be a bad pump, a bad oil pressure relief valve or spring or for an 850 there are seals in the pan that can wear out and allow some of the flow to bleed off so the engine isn't getting what the pump is pushing out.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=11256
the tick sometimes comes on start and stops immediately.
it get real quiet for a while then it comes on loud.like all the lifters are ticking.ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta.LOL
its quiet and from noowhere starts knocking like crazy real loud like its priming the lifters.
l have always been on time with oil changes.after l changed my lifters, l didnt change my oil and it was very quiet for days.even had videos taken. after l changed my oil, l drove for like 5 miles and it started ticking abruptly.
right now l am running fully synthetic, 10w-30. l will take a video of both being loud and quiet and post it up.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you do any steady highway driving?

I did round town driving for more than two weeks straight, 10 miles a day round-trip, 6 days a week. That caused my motor to get a steady ticking noise.

The day it started to tick I got on the highway, got up to 85-90mph for a few mins. After I exited, I pulled over to listen, the ticking was gone.

A steady 3,ooo rpm+ cured the sporadic ticking. I only use mobil1 syn 15w-50, change every 6 months/3000 miles.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you change weight drastically it likely will not make a difference but the recommendation is to go with 15w40 in a turbo.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM

something l just noticed.after existing from the high way it gets reallly quiet.but on city driving it ticks and stops and ticks again.l will change my oil weight on my next oil change.

Quick Reply: hydraulic lifter noise