Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Idle Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Adjustment?

I recently tore apart my throttle body and cleaned it all out, and shaved off the little plastic thing that restrcts airflow on the throttle plate.
but, now my idle is around 1200-1500 rpm's, but i thought that the car had electronic idle adjustment, guess im wrong. anyone know how to adjust the idle?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The computer adjusts it.
Maybe the idle motor not working or the TPS isn't reading right.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM

well, i noticed that i have a little bit of a kink at first when i depress the throttle, but its fine other than at the very first part, could i have done something to jam the plate so it wont close all the way?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by litehwk356
I recently tore apart my throttle body and cleaned it all out, and shaved off the little plastic thing that restrcts airflow on the throttle plate.
I am curious, what is this mod you're talking about?

And yes, it does sound like something is causing your throttle plate to stick. Did you remove the plate from the pivot rod when you were cleaning it?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 AM

there is a adjustment on the throttle body with a small screw that can decide on the idle position of the plate. woder if you tightened if further few turns then where it originally was, then this might be keeping the plate in little open position.

Any codes - CEL light?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM

no CEL, and ill check the screw next chance i get.

and to explain the mod, there is a little plastic restrctor on the throttle playe, kind of like a restrictor plate on race built cars.
if you chave it off, you get better airflow, and more power.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM

My guess is that the MOd you are talking about is shaving a orifice open...which means that you are allowing more air to go into the manifold which will trigger the idling up anyways. So, the problem of your higher idling is actually the BIG HOLE you created in your throttlebody control which originally is designed to have a perticular size.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bestharry
My guess is that the MOd you are talking about is shaving a orifice open...which means that you are allowing more air to go into the manifold which will trigger the idling up anyways. So, the problem of your higher idling is actually the BIG HOLE you created in your throttlebody control which originally is designed to have a perticular size.
no, research it a little bit, there is a restrictor plate type of thing on the throttle plate that you can grind off, and open up more airflow, this DOES NOT make a big hole, so thats not the problem.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Hey litehawk,

Is this the mod you're talking about here? http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...&#entry1168946

If so, I will pose my original question again: Did you remove the throttle plate from the pivot rod while you were working it? Or did you just stick the grinder into the throttle body and go to town?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Appologies Lite,
I just made a picture of something without understanding the MOD. Thanks to gdog for the link and wonder if this will be any help for Turbo models as well? i will check mine next time I get to TB.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
Hey litehawk,

Is this the mod you're talking about here? http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...&#entry1168946

If so, I will pose my original question again: Did you remove the throttle plate from the pivot rod while you were working it? Or did you just stick the grinder into the throttle body and go to town?
Yes, that is the mod, and i did not remove the plate from the rod, but i did not just "go to town" on it either, i held the plate open, and very carefully dremelled the piece off.

Originally Posted by bestharry
Appologies Lite,
I just made a picture of something without understanding the MOD. Thanks to gdog for the link and wonder if this will be any help for Turbo models as well? i will check mine next time I get to TB.
no problem, i do the same thing soemtimes
and from what i have heard, all models are like this

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by litehwk356
well, i noticed that i have a little bit of a kink at first when i depress the throttle, but its fine other than at the very first part, could i have done something to jam the plate so it wont close all the way?
hey litehawk,

That's why i asked how you did the mod; the alignment of that throttle plate within the bore of the throttle body is quite critical, to the point where i was wondering if you affected the alignment when you did the mod. If out of alignment, that plate could very easily bind within the TB bore when closed (idle position) causing stiction when opening from idle. Is it possible you could have bent the plate or slipped with the dremel causing a nick in the bore or edge of the plate?

Also, when you did the mod, did you move/adjust the throttle plate stop screw that bestharry mentioned? Have you tried anything else? Do you still have the high idle issue?

I just thought of something else; I assume you removed to TB to do this mod; did you replace with a new gasket? Have you ckd for vacuum leaks?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM

i may have nicked the plate or bore, but i did not notice if i did, and it is possible i may have somehow bent it, i will have to pull it again to see.
but the kink seems to be mostly gone now, so im thinking maybe it was just somethign that needed to be worn down.
as for the idle, i havent had time to try to adjust the stop screw yet, i will probably tomorrow.
and yes, i installed a new gasket, and my vacuum is good.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 PM

well, i had my throwout bearing go out on me today, so this has gone down on my list of priorities for the moment
and unfortuanetly, i dont have the tools to change it myself, so i get to pay for a shop to do it