Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Installed 3rd row seat but back won't stay up

Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 3rd row seat but back won't stay up

I bought and installed what I thought was a complete 3rd row seat package into my '97 850 wagon. I got both compartment covers with seat cushons, the seat belts and all of the bolts. It all installed very clean and nice. When I lift the seat back compartment there is a crecent-moon-shaped plastic arm that comes out and I assume that's supposed to attach to something in the back of the middle row seat? Can anyone tell me what the part looks like that this seat back protrusion attaches to and how it installs to the existing middle seat-back? Guess I'll have to head back to the salvage yard and see if they have this missing piece.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 AM

I think the piece you are looking for is the receiver for the third row located in the second row seat back. I am not sure if you can make a hole and insert the square plastic piece but I am sure you can figure something out without needing to buy a new second row.

Chet

Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

There should be a reciever in the back of the seat. Here are some crummy pictures but you'll get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Installed 3rd row seat but back won't stay up-img_0426.jpg   Installed 3rd row seat but back won't stay up-img_0427.jpg  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for posting the pics (even though they are a little phallic!) Every other part of the install my car was prepared for. Even the piece of carpet over the spare tire was pre die-cut so that I just had to cut along the lines to remove the piece that goes over the seat belt receptacles. I decided to use my existing carpeted covers since they were in better shape than the ones that came with the seats. all of the bolt holes in the covers had pre-threaded nuts embedded in them for the head rests. Even the hole that other piece sticks through was already there; the wood was pre-cut except for a couple of little notches that took 30 seconds to cut out and then I used a box knife to trace a hole in the carpet. My guess is the existing middle seat back already has a hole that just needs to somehow be uncovered to install the phallic looking plastic receiver (but I could be wrong).

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited by jonsonneborn; 01-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

If you feel really closely the hole is already there. You can take a Razor and make a slice in the spot of the hole. Then insert the plastic piece and it will hide the hole. The plastic piece just folds the carpet in. Just be careful not to cut it to big.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jonsonneborn
Thanks for posting the pics (even though they are a little phallic!)

Ha, took then around 5:30 a.m. this morning... iphone with no light.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Ha, took then around 5:30 a.m. this morning... iphone with no light.
Thanks for the pic. It was a big help in identifying the part I missed. I was being silly on the phalic coment (meaning the part looks like a part of the female anatomy). BTW I sent that guy a right-up of how easy the job was that you sent my way earlier today. I was amazed how easy it was to install. Volvo designed this wagon to easily install this option. Not only was the body of the car equiped with all of the pre-threaded bolts holes for the seat belts (not surprising) but even the carpeted covers have pre-threaded nuts embedded in them to hold the hardware for the 3rd row seats (I decided to use my own carpet panel covers because they were in better shape than the ones I got from the salvage yard with the seats attached). Even the square hole in the panel that the plastic piece passes through is pre-cut all except about 2 inches of material so I was able to knock this piece of wood out with a key-hole saw in about 2 minutes. The little piece of carpet on top of the spare tire has slits in a square that you just need to finish cutting out which goes around the female seat belt recepticles. Had I not moved the seat cushions onto my exisiting panel covers the job would have only taken me 60-90 minutes. I'd guess it took an extra hour at least if you want to move all of the harware to your exisiting panel covers (there are about 100 screws and bolts on those things!) Jon

Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it worked out and thanks for helping him.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Default third seat

some great instuctions on you tube for this install, Does your spare tire still fit, doesnt look like mine does and is a smaller spare, unless there is different sizes of space saver spares. The bracket for the seat belts that drops down into the spoare tire hole slightly blocks the spare tire. ??

Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by beoutside
some great instuctions on you tube for this install, Does your spare tire still fit, doesnt look like mine does and is a smaller spare, unless there is different sizes of space saver spares. The bracket for the seat belts that drops down into the spoare tire hole slightly blocks the spare tire. ??
My donut spare fit back in without a problem. I wouldn't imagine there are different sized spares, but my car is a base 850 with 15" wheels all around that could have a smaller spare? I don't recall if it's positioned any differently but I do remember that it strapped down perfectly even after the addition of the 3rd seat. I am not sure if the regular tire would fit back in there in the event of a flat but I know that my spare fit without any struggle. Jon

Last edited by jonsonneborn; 05-23-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Default Need this piece

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can reliably get this part?
I have just installed the third row in my 2000 V70 XC and did not get this anchor/receiver. I did find the hole and cut it out in te back of the 2nd row seat but without the actual reciever clip I can't do much else and the seat will not stay up. I do not have access to the vehicle the seat came from either so that's out of the question.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Default Picture

Here is a pic of te part (same as the pics previously linked)

Attached Thumbnails Installed 3rd row seat but back won't stay up-image.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by chuckcxr
Does anyone have a part number or know where I can reliably get this part?
I don't have the part number or numbers but each time I needed a part when I still had my Volvo the parts counter at the local dealer had a great computer programe with schematics which he could dial in any part number with a picture & placement of the part.

By the way that part that goes into the seat back really has to "click" into place. For the first couple of months after install it kept popping out until I used a piece of wood & a hammer & lightly tapped it until it was poperly seated. It never came out after that.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM

My car came optioned with the 3rd row seating...Even with the receiver the back rest still wont stay up. It will latch, but it pulls out from the back of the rear seat back once I anchor it in...are there normally clips that hold the anchor in?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
My car came optioned with the 3rd row seating...Even with the receiver the back rest still wont stay up. It will latch, but it pulls out from the back of the rear seat back once I anchor it in...are there normally clips that hold the anchor in?
So I had the same issue with mine. The female part which is supposed to stay in the middle-row seat-back kept pulling out. I was able to fix the issue by putting the part back in place & then tapping it upwards with a block of wood & a hammer. I could see the part click into place & realized that I didn't have the strength to seat this properly without a little help from the hammer. From that day on it never came out again. I hope that helps.

Jon

Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by jonsonneborn
So I had the same issue with mine. The female part which is supposed to stay in the middle-row seat-back kept pulling out. I was able to fix the issue by putting the part back in place & then tapping it upwards with a block of wood & a hammer. I could see the part click into place & realized that I didn't have the strength to seat this properly without a little help from the hammer. From that day on it never came out again. I hope that helps.

Jon

I'll have to give this a try Thanks Jon!

-Z-