Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

intermittent starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starter problem

I have a 1996 850 wagon GLT that intermittently will not start. Tonight was the worst episode yet. I unlocked the car with remote keyless entry and stuck the key in and dash lights, radio, etc all came on like normal. Then I tried to turn key farther to start the engine and nothing happens. When I turned the key all the way, the lights went off but no sounds from the engine. This went on for 20 mintues of key out and key in with no results. All the while I am flipping the central locking button as this has worked (or was coincidence) in past episodes. The car is in park (double checked that). I am also in and out of the car flipping keyless remote entry whether or not this has anything to do with the problem? Finally i hit the central locking button several times repeatedly fast and then tried her again and she started. In past episodes fiddling with locking system seemed to make a difference or else it is in my head that way. This has happened 10 times in the last year and occasionally has come in spurts of once every few days, then months with no episodes. Any thoughts?

Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: intermittent starter problem

Either your PNP switch or the starter is going bad.

Next time it happens try starting it in nuetral.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly. Being the ignorant 30 something female that I am, is this something that needs to be evaluated at my local volvo service place or can my car savy brother take a look at it? Forgive me for asking but what exactly is the PNP switch?

Old 12-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The PNP switch=Park Nuetral Position switch. It is located on the top of the transmission. It tell the engine computer what gear the trans is in.

He can take a look at it and see if you can get it to act up and have him chek for power at the small wire at the starter. If you have power the starter is bad. If no power then the PNP switch is most likely the cause.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM

Just a follow up to starter problem. It eventually got worse and happened more often. Took it to dealer and it died in the service bay and they found some bad/faulty wiring. Before taking it to the dealer I did try to start the car in neutral and it didnt work but I appreciated the suggestions!
ORIGINAL: echaikin

I have a 1996 850 wagon GLT that intermittently will not start. Tonight was the worst episode yet. I unlocked the car with remote keyless entry and stuck the key in and dash lights, radio, etc all came on like normal. Then I tried to turn key farther to start the engine and nothing happens. When I turned the key all the way, the lights went off but no sounds from the engine. This went on for 20 mintues of key out and key in with no results. All the while I am flipping the central locking button as this has worked (or was coincidence) in past episodes. The car is in park (double checked that). I am also in and out of the car flipping keyless remote entry whether or not this has anything to do with the problem? Finally i hit the central locking button several times repeatedly fast and then tried her again and she started. In past episodes fiddling with locking system seemed to make a difference or else it is in my head that way. This has happened 10 times in the last year and occasionally has come in spurts of once every few days, then months with no episodes. Any thoughts?